• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

smoking ban for operation

robdaisy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have been funded by the pct to have excess skin removed from my eyelids which blocks/ impares my vision but the plastic surgeon at one of my local hospitals has refused to do the proceedure because i smoke. is there antything i can do to get this decision overturned or as i have had the funding agreed can i go elsewhere to have the proceedure. i must add that i am hiv+ and have ain which entails a eva every 3 months and have never had a reaction.

Mree as much as i agree with you its not our business to tell her that she has to make that decision herself being forced to stop smoking will make the task a lot harder she has to do it herself when she is ready too and in the right frame of mind.

Regards

Pompeyfaith

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

I think it's pretty standard that they ask you to stop smoking before operations. As it is not an emergency or life threatening condition I think they are probably in their rights to assess the risk and refuse to operate.

Some info on the reasons why here

Smoking: Should I Quit for Surgery and Anesthesia?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Some Doctors are MORE anti smoking than others --I think they are at liberty to make decisions like this (also it is NOT life threatening op, or I am certain the Surgeon would operate) If you cannot get satisfaction --- see your Gp / Pct and ask for a refferal to a different Dr.

Smoking is NOT reccomened before ops as any chest irritant can cause choking/ vominting --in *some* cases .....

Smoking also caused long term skin damage - so perhaps the surgeon feels that if you continue to smoke it will negatively impact on the effectiveness of the surgery and the healing process.

Not to mention the increased risks of anaesthesia in smokers.

The surgeon should have explained why he was not willing to operate unless you stop smoking though.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

• 4 months later...
she is a he but thanks for your comment. to the other reply, yes i could give up but i dont want to, it should be my choice if i smoke not anyone elses.

I know it's an old thread but I agree with you 110%. The risks of having post anaesthetic problems due to your smoking are not significant IMHO. It is just a sign of political correctness. Just find another surgeon who is interested in treating people and not slabs of meat.

Have a cig for me...I gave up 4 years ago. I'm waiting until I either reach 70 or get diagnosed as terminal then I'm starting again .

DrT

• 1 month later...
Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi robdaisy

any update? have you decided to ask for a refel to another hospital

Edited by old_andrew2007

If a person who smokes flies to the USA, they cant smoke on the flight.

If you can stop smoking for 8/12 hours you can stop forever.

I think the anti smoking laws are the best thing this Government has done.

No matter what you say its still a filthy, dirty anti social habit, and should be banned everywhere.

Surgeons and such like are extremely busy people, why would you request they waste their time giving you thier reasons in writing when really you should be thinking yourelf lucky you have got a cosmetic procedure for free as the rest of your nhs care. Good Luck with your operation and smoke if you want to but dont sue the surgeon if their were complications. Your call isnt it.

you should be thinking yourelf lucky you have got a cosmetic procedure for free

The NHS may be supposedly free at the point of need but I do object to the attitude that we should all be humbly grateful for something we DO pay for.

Would the surgeon perform the operation if the OP was a private patient? If the answer is no then fair enough, the decision is based on medical reasoning. If however the answer is yes then the decision must be based on personal prejudice.

I dont think we should be humbly grateful BUT i do think we should appreciate the fact that we can get half decent care (most of the time!) without having to pay extra for it like you would if you were in different country.

If a person can pay for their own treatment its their money they can do what they like with it. If the OP is lucky enough to get a procedure that normally they would have to pay for I cannot understand why they would quibble over the smoking ban.

Hiya,

Just to add my two pence worth :)

Firstly, best of luck with the surgery.

In regard to the smoking - it is of course a personal choice and like any personal choice as long it does no harm to anyone else along the way then good luck to you. :p It is of course preferable that you stop, at least for a period before the op and ideally completely. Your anaesthetic risk is signficantly raised by smoking and the post operative recovery is equally more prone to complications. Except for life saving procedures your surgeon is able to make reasonable stipultation about behaviour that would be in your best interest and as such I do not see the message itself (the smoking ban) as being unreasonable. Having said that how the message is delivered can often be an issue and a number of surgeons out there have very good surgical skills but lack somewhat in the communication deparment! :rolleyes:

For all the tired old things about taxes, paying for services etc (I have been told again tonight that someone pays my wages, by another person that they are entitled to whatever they feel is appropriate because they pay their taxes!) :evil: A percentage of all of our taxes do pay for the NHS, it is far from perfect in many ways but I wish folk would stop considering it as a service like a bank, supermarket etc. We do get it wrong and in many ways can do better but one of the biggest strains on the NHS is the public's expectations which are often far from realistic!

Edited by mjc007.5
layout

MJC 007.5 :cool:

Advice or opinions offered by mjc 007.5 are personal, offered in good faith and without prejudice or liability. Your decisions and actions are your own and should you be in any doubt then please seek the opinion of a fully qualified and insured professional

:) If you think I have helped you please feel free to click on my scales :)

P. S

Before anybody wonders I am on a break :cool:

MJC 007.5 :cool:

Advice or opinions offered by mjc 007.5 are personal, offered in good faith and without prejudice or liability. Your decisions and actions are your own and should you be in any doubt then please seek the opinion of a fully qualified and insured professional

:) If you think I have helped you please feel free to click on my scales :)

• 1 month later...
I would challenge the surgeon and ask for his reasons in writing - he may feel that you may have complications as you smoke, but you should be given a reason and ask to see another Dr, after all you pay enough tax

increased anaesthetic risk

slower , less efficient wound healing

are the two reasons that will be given and are very hard to challenge