PCN charge for £117- what next?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Received a Notice To Owner (NTO) letter from SIP Car Parks Ltd, Manchester for non payment of £117 from Early Jan 09, ( i ignored the PCN they placed on my car at the time, i parked in car park for 15 mins before it would have been free)

They have obtained my details from DVLA and say payment due within 28 days otherwise they will refer me to a debt collection agency which will incur further admin charges of £15 per letter sent.

What should my reply be to them or shall i ignore?

Any advice please.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

more details on the letter are:

" we understand that you were the registered keeper or hirer of the vehicle at the time the contravention occurred"

"This reminder is being served as The PCN has not been paid. You are responsible for complying with this reminder to owner"

Any ides how to respond please?

Completely ignore them. Expect a couple of debt collection letters before they give up and go away.

The owner is not responsible for anything, least of all a bit of junkmail called a 'Reminder to Owner'. See how it's a [problem] - they daren't use the term 'Notice to Owner', but like to infer that it has some relation to an official council penalty.

No point. Their eyes might well light up if you contact them and you'll be put in the hooked fish pile.

These companies hate it when you ignore them. Imagine how powerless you'd feel if you were trying to get money out of somebody and they never answered your letters.

I'm a bit confused by some of the advice on this site, Bernie the Bolts Template letters say never ignore a letter if they contact you and to write them a few letters finally ending with Desist letter.

But some of you just say to totally ignore the letters from the PCP and any Baliff/DCA letters that arrive- surely they will continue to hound me with letters for the money.

Thanks

I'm a bit confused by some of the advice on this site, Bernie the Bolts Template letters say never ignore a letter if they contact you and to write them a few letters finally ending with Desist letter.

But some of you just say to totally ignore the letters from the PCP and any Baliff/DCA letters that arrive- surely they will continue to hound me with letters for the money.

Thanks

My own view is that you should write just one letter denying you owe them anything. The reason is that when you get a letter from a debt collector, you should respond by saying the debt is in dispute, and should be returned to the originator - the PPC. If you have never communicated with them, you can hardly claim you are disputing the debt, since you have not told the PPC.

What you have to do is cover the unlikely event that it goes to court. The first thing a judge will look at is the steps you have taken to resolve the dispute. It does you no favours if you have never ever corresponded with these people.

Others hold a different view; but there is no hard evidence which is the best route to take since PPC's very rarely go to court.

Thanks

Bernie's templates were written some time ago,a nd although they are still valid and useable, the most common recommendation more recently is to ignore everything the PPC sends you.

Whichever path you take is up to you (as long as it isn't the "choosing to pay the [problematic]" path) and you can always come back to the forums for further support.

Choice is yours, you can either write or not write - end of the day what you must never do is pay. It would be sensible to write and deny the claim if you were satisfied that there was a reasonable chance of it going to court; however, the chances of court action are 0.01% so why waste your ink cartridge. Why write a letter that will have no effect other than to intensify the PPC's harassment of you? I ignored mine and it never did me any harm.

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Thanks Guys, seems the best way is just to ignore them totally and never respond to their unlawful requests for £117 - they are totally fraudulent companies that should never be allowed to trade and exsist.

Cheers

Jack

If you fancy paying I can send you an unenforceable invoice for £1,000 if you are wavering:D

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Thanks Guys, seems the best way is just to ignore them totally and never respond to their unlawful requests for £117 - they are totally fraudulent companies that should never be allowed to trade and exsist.

Cheers

Jack

You've hit the nail on the head my friend, now spread the news to everyone you know.

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

dont worry i will recommend that any of my friends/associates who are caught up in a similar fraudulent [problem] just never for 1 moment consider paying their crazy penaltys, they could never justify their fees of £120 for staying an extra 15 mins in an empty car park that charges £1 per hour, how dissproportiante is that, thay could never consider going to court , cos they they know they don't have a thread to stand on, lets hit back at these fraudulent companies, how can we hit them where it hurts? any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes!

My girlfriend and I have been entangled in a dispute with SIP since August last year. A PCN was issued for an overstay at a private pay & display car park in Manchester. The guy was all too quick to dart out of the office and slap a ticket on our car even though we were standing a few yards away, albeit a few minutes past the ticket's expiry time. We also watched him take a number of photos of the car.

However, the registration on the ticket was incorrect by 1 digit - an "E" had been inputted instead of an "F".

Before we had discovered what we know now thanks to these forums, we were too honest with the parking company and sent them a letter indicating the ticket was incorrectly issued and we want nothing to do with them. The registered address of the vehicle was not used for correspondence.

They threatened and abused my girlfriend over the phone following subsequent contact and accused us of altering the ticket in our favour to display an incorrect registration (we didn't touch it).

They obtained our details and issued us with a "Notice to Owner" and, having consulted this and other websites, we decided to use a template letter to write to them in which we indicated the signage was inadequate, their use of threatening language and accusations of altering the ticket contravened the "Administration of Justice Act 1970" etc etc. Our reply incidentally began "I am the driver and registered keeper and confirm I was so at the time of the alleged infringement", the closest we have come to admitting anything to them!

However, we have just received a letter from them which (to paraphrase) says "tough, pay up" and continues to allege tampering with the ticket. By all indications, this is essentially a standard letter as the grammar is far better than that used in previous correspondence. It also mentions they will use CCTV footage if necessary to take us to court. That, and the photos they took on the day itself, is a little worrying!

So have we gone too far to start ignoring them now??!? I know we shouldn't have contacted them in the first place but we are honest people and had no idea they were [causing problems] us!! Following our contact with them are we likely to be the 0.01% who are taken to court?

We have until the 18th March to pay up then they say they will add £15 per notice thereafter that is sent.

I will keep my mouth shut next time I promise!! Any help is appreciated!