Will they close my a/c?

leigh23

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5656 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Have a query/problem with Nationwide: (sorry, this is a long one. I will try to make sense!)

i am a single mother and student, my student loan is paid into my Flexaccount every three months, but i mistakenly thought that as my uni term ended in June i would automatically receive full income support (£98.00 per week). I was wrong with this thought and wasn't entitled to any income support until i formally informed the DSS i had ended my course. So through-out June and July i had no income coming in and i went over my agreed £450 overdraft limit. N/Wide continued to allow transactions to be paid in shops and so i assumed my a/c was in credit ( i know i should've checked my balance :( but i didn't), I only today received June and July's statements to find that all my direct debits have been returned and i have been charged £30.00 each time, plus £21.50 for cheque card misuse. Over a period of 15 days in June i was charged £210!!! More than i 'earn' through benefits. In July i have been charged £250!!!!!!!! I have banked with N/Wide since i was 7 and my a/c has always been in credit and well kept.

I have been told my friends this is illegal and i should try to get my money back but i'm scared they will just close my account down. Will they do this? Should I try to get my money back or write it off as error on my part?

HELP!!!

Any responses will be extremely gratefully recieved.

Thank You

MMmmmm tricky one. I would say speak with them but really you know they are just going to fob you off. If it was me I would make a clean start, in the mean time try opening a new bank account with a different bank that way you'll have something to fall back on if they did close, even if your credits bad you can still a new bank account. I wouldn't let them get away with it to be honest and i'm doing what i've suggested i.e opened another account just in case, i'm pretty sure Nationwide will close my account as they seem to be the worst for it.

So in answer to your question if your pi$$ed off that they took £250 off you in your hour of need, don't mind a bit of stress over the next few months, don't mind spending some cash and possibly have to get a new bank account then go for it but if you don't fancy these things then write it off.:rolleyes:

[/url]

Nationwide

Won

Capital One

Won

Citibank

Part win

GE Capital

Won

Exchange your council house for free.

www.UseMyPlace.com

Hi there, i had a similar thing although not quite so bad where they were going to take £170 in charges one month. i wrote to them explaining my situation and they reduced this to £50. so at least i could eat that week! however these charges are illegal and if you want to follow the advice on here you can get all those charges for the last 6 years paid back. as you are on benefits it won't cost you anything except a bit of time and patience. BUT you will need to open another account because in the vast majority of cases they do close your account after they have paid you out. there is a way of getting an injunction to stop them but to be honest you are probably better off just getting another account if you don't have the patience for another fight!!!

i would say read the posts, the step by step guide and FAQ and decide what you are going to do. i made a stand and feel better for it but everybody has to make their own choice.

oooeee

As a mathematics degree student i know their figures don't add up!!!! join the Revolution!!!

Nationwide Building society £1778.55 LBA sent 22.06.2006 Claim filed at Truro court 07/07/2006 for £1842.78 Acknowledgement recieved 19/07/2006 "intend to defend". £246.73 (interest on amount) paid into account 20/07/2006 Remaining £1595 paid into account 21/07/2006

Littlewoods catalogue looking into late charges. £80 of charges made phone call 16/07/2006 letter going out 21/07/2006

Yes, open a new account with another bank/society just in case. They can transfer details of all direct debits and such from your old account easily if you end up needing it. Nationwide will give you 30 days notice if they do decide to close it so don't worry.

They (and the banks) have been slapped on the wrist for closing accounts by the FSA. I don't know if it's still happening to anyone.

Briefing Note BN 023/06

4 July 2006

FSA position on account closures and default charges

Generally, under FSA rules on dispute resolution and complaints, we would not expect any regulated firm to discriminate against a customer who makes a complaint.

However the relationship between a bank and its account holders, including the circumstances and manner in which accounts are closed, is governed by the Banking Code.

We have therefore raised this issue with the Banking Code Standards Board, and informed those firms involved that we have done so. As a result of those conversations, we understand that the Banking Code Standards Board intends to state its position on this issue presently. We encourage the industry to use this opportunity to demonstrate the value of the Code in ensuring fair and reasonable outcomes to such disputes.

From http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/14893-fsa-position-account-closures.html

Best of luck :)

I decided to contact customer services, plead my case and see if they'd wpe the charges. Surprisingly, the lady i spoke to was extremely sympathetic and has applied to have all the charges waived for me. Apparently, because i have kept my account in credit previously, they have discretionary powers to wipe certain charges!!!

I have to wait 7-10 days for a decision, so fingers crossed.....