Cancelling LA Fitness membership...

chakra8
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Now I've heard a lot about people being charged ridiculous amounts after cancelling gym memberships before the end of their contract, so I thought I'd ask here for advice...

I'm 17 and I signed up for a membership with LA Fitness just before christmas. I wasn't going to sign up originally, I thought I'd be a 'January joiner' and get a good deal, but the guy I spoke to told me it would be cheaper for me to join before christmas rather than after (which was an outright lie!), so I, stupidly, did so.

I was never asked for 'parental consent' or for any sort of guarantor agreement, and seeing as I'm under 18 I don't suppose it was right of them to let me enter a contract. I was dumb not to go over the small print when I signed up, the bloke never mentioned it was a 12 month contract and it wasn't until after I joined that I realised this. I decided to cancel simply because I don't use the membership enough, and despite being lucky enough to still have a job, I can't really afford it right now.

I know if I cancel the direct debit I'll probably be getting threatening letters fairly soon, so does any of the above info help me to get out of this?

Thanks.

Cancel the direct debit. A contract with a person under 18 is not enforceable unless also signed by their parent or guardian.

Sometimes they may say that you have to give three months notice. This is also wrong, an unfair amount of notice cannot be enforced either.

Under 18s can sign contracts, but the other party should be aware that if, as in your case, the other party changes their mind, there is nothing they can do about it.

Edited by Conniff