smart car broken springs

smart girl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had one of my front springs broken on my smart for two, its an 03. Took it to Mercedes to see if they could fix it for free due to some were recalled for this problem.They said no but I here some people are still getting theres done, at the moment have a mechanic friend doing the job, which he found difficult due to the fact you have to have a special tool to get the struts undone, and he cant get it anywhere. Some people say you can get eskulab to help with the payments but not sure what to do.:mad:

Guest Gordons Barking

The recall fault depends on the model, they all look alike apart from the original city - coupes and the new models.

In fact they are all slightly different depending on manufacture date.

All the panels are stamped with the date, pull back the passenger foot well carpet like you are trying to get to the battery and you will see the rear of the carpet and the foam panel over the battery are date stamped.

Then call up Smart and ask what date of manufacture are covered by the recall, registration can be out by a year or more.

Thanks gordon

my car was out a year so friend mechanic had to do it for me.Just for the record you have to break off the nuts on top of the suspension rods, meaning new shocks as well as springs so a costly job when the springs break, only mercedes has the special tool of coarse to get them off or you have to get it from america.

Guest Gordons Barking

Yes, tricky little car had a lota fun figuring out how to do things without Merc. Mechanics often refuse to attempt simple Smart car fixes e.g. the fuel filter is almost always the original because without a manual you have to take the car apart to find out where it is - try to get a manual... The shocks sound like cheap low quality factory set Mountain Bike shocks they also can not be adjusted.