Erm...What to do...?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5525 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Firstly, I do apologise if the regulars have heard this a million times, but could really do with some advice on a personal level regarding some old debt.

I moved out when I was 17 into my own flat and with no previous experience of money management, I got myself into trouble with various things - Natwest Overdraft, United Utilities, BT, Britania Music club, Council Tax, Welcome Finance & Sky. All overdue, never paid and haven't been since 2003 (moved out early 2005).

Then I got another flat, left my debts, and kinda started again with the utilities - British Gas, United Utilities, BT (again, under a different surname)...until I moved out of this flat in late 2005)

In 2006 I moved into a third flat, paid all my bills on time, learnt from my mistakes and kept my head above water. Then I got made redundant and fell at the last hurdle - I ended up oweing money to Virgin Media and I got an unsecured loan out under my name for my sister with Provident which she never paid (and neither did I) and never have. Moved from there in 2007.

I am now 24 years old, and I live with my fiancee with her parents in a property that we've been in for 1 1/2 years. I have been on the electoral roll for all this time. I have one bank account, an easy cash account which I have held for about 2 years. I have not applied for any more credit, nor got any more debts under my name since the move. I am at a stage now where I look back on my debts and think 'what the hell were you playing at?' - I've matured and reflected and know I wouldn't do the same - however, I am now very worried that any chance of obtaining a mortgage in the future is going to be pretty slim for me. I doubt I can get a current account nor any credit should I want to.

The debts that I have left have never come back to me - I don't receive letters, calls, visits or anything like that - to my knowledge they are all at my previous addresses and my details are not obtainable on the electoral roll for third parties as I chose not to disclose them. Having recently decided that I want to change my surname to that of my step father (as he brought me up, not my bio father), I am curious to know whether it would be wise for me to change my name, close my account, take my name off the electoral roll and start again. By this, I mean change my passport/driving license to my new name, and tell my University of the name change - then open an easy cash account with new passport and Uni letters - then put my new name on electoral roll and wait it out for 2 years until I graduate. If I don't declare my previous name, does this mean I'll have maybe a new credit rating - be it fair - poor as opposed to a 'DO NOT TOUCH THIS DUDE' credit rating I have now?

Advice most welcome, apologies for the lengthy post!

have you looked at your credit rating?

you might not have any issues at all

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply - I've literally just applied to equifax for an online credit rating - and after submitting my details, they asked me to ring them during office hours to 'answer some questions' - got me a tad worried, thus I thought I'd find a useful forum for some alternative advice until I do ring them tomorrow.

I read on Moneysavingexpert to also apply to experian too, however it says I've previously applied for a credit file and to use my old login details - but I must've done that years ago as I can't remember doing so lol!

well go thru the forgotten details link and get the login info!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

lol - if only! I haven't a clue what email address I used when I initially signed up, nor the username, nor the password, and everything I attempt is not recognised - probably best giving them a call in the morning too!

So I called Equifax and they told me the system couldn't recognise me so I had to scan some documents and send them via their online customer help system - anyone else had to do this? Just waiting for them to come back to me so I can look at my credit report.

Whilst there, took the liberty of looking at their FAQ's, and found some interesting info:

The debts I incurred when I was 18 may well be written off this year as it will have been six years since I last heard anything from them...also my Virgin media account details will have been removed from my credit report as, and I quote:

trnsp.gif Virgin Media Accounts

Virgin Media have removed all Credit Agreement information prior to 20/04/2008 from all its customer files due to anomalies in information resulting from system migrations.

Virgin Media will continue to provide Credit Agreement information as of July 2008 - please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

So, the fact my account was pretty damn poor and is now removed can only do me a favour, right?!!

Hoping things ain't as bad as I once thought!!

not wanting to lecture you but I think you have got the wrong end of the stick about the aims of this forum. It is here to help people reclaim unfair bank charges etc which have contributed to them getting into debt but out of their control. A lot of people here have been ill or lost their jobs and theirs debts have mounted up without them being able to do a lot about it. It is not here to help people duck their responsibilites and then move on borrow money again and then move on again. A lot of the members on this forum are trying to clear their debts in a controlled manner not to find ways of how to clean the slate.

And where did I stipulate I was going to move on and borrow more, for the sake of it? The only thing I intend to get credit for in the future is a mortgage for myself and my fiancee, and I don't think that's something you should begrudge me.

And alot of the posts I have read on this forum follow the same pattern as mine, but I don't see those users being lectured.

not wanting to lecture you but I think you have got the wrong end of the stick about the aims of this forum. It is here to help people reclaim unfair bank charges etc which have contributed to them getting into debt but out of their control. A lot of people here have been ill or lost their jobs and theirs debts have mounted up without them being able to do a lot about it. It is not here to help people duck their responsibilites and then move on borrow money again and then move on again. A lot of the members on this forum are trying to clear their debts in a controlled manner not to find ways of how to clean the slate.

We should not take it upon ourselves to assess the morality of people's cases, only offer advice if we wish to.

• Haha 1

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

So I called Equifax and they told me the system couldn't recognise me so I had to scan some documents and send them via their online customer help system - anyone else had to do this? Just waiting for them to come back to me so I can look at my credit report.

Whilst there, took the liberty of looking at their FAQ's, and found some interesting info:

The debts I incurred when I was 18 may well be written off this year as it will have been six years since I last heard anything from them...also my Virgin media account details will have been removed from my credit report as, and I quote:

trnsp.gif Virgin Media Accounts

Virgin Media have removed all Credit Agreement information prior to 20/04/2008 from all its customer files due to anomalies in information resulting from system migrations.

Virgin Media will continue to provide Credit Agreement information as of July 2008 - please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

So, the fact my account was pretty damn poor and is now removed can only do me a favour, right?!!

Hoping things ain't as bad as I once thought!!

Hey dude, I'm a student too. Reason for your problems getting your credit file is probably because you are pretty well unknown to the system. I have the same because I am not on the electoral role. What you are proposing is not an exact science so you gotta be careful. Credit agencies will link addresses through common information. For example, if you update your bank with a new address, that new address will be attatched to your file. What you need to do is break all traces with your existing record.

Don't be hasty, think through anything that could catch you out. You seem pretty responsible so I'd say go for it - you've got nothing to lose and I would say that an unkown credit history is probably better than a seriously damaged one - find out how bad it is first though - it may not be as bad as you think.

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

P.S. Yeah, the Virgin situation was a stroke of fortune for you.

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Thanks for the advice mate :)

I've been living at my current address with my fiancee for well over a year (nearly two) and all that time my bank account has been altered accordingly, so I know this address will be on my credit file - but still no one has chased me, so I am now thinking maybe my report isn't totally messed up, merely just not up to scratch. I'll probably hear back from Equifax tomorrow and have a look at the report, and my plan is to sit well away from any credit whatsoever over the next 2 years, then see how things are then!

Thanks for the advice mate :)

I've been living at my current address with my fiancee for well over a year (nearly two) and all that time my bank account has been altered accordingly, so I know this address will be on my credit file - but still no one has chased me, so I am now thinking maybe my report isn't totally messed up, merely just not up to scratch. I'll probably hear back from Equifax tomorrow and have a look at the report, and my plan is to sit well away from any credit whatsoever over the next 2 years, then see how things are then!

got to admit i thought that too!

dx

and they

• 3 weeks later...

Meh. So applied to Equifax, they asked me to verify my details - so I did, and still no access to my credit report, however, they've quite happily gave my details to a past creditor, who has now sent me a letter to pursue a debt of £90. This debt goes back to 2003, so I have replied with the letter template regarding pursueing a debt older than 6 years. Hopefully, this will scare them slightly, I highly doubt any court action would be taken over £90.

Now the floodgates are open, it's just a waiting game - I have no income, and no assetts, so they can come after me, but I'm going to play hardball.