• Tweets

• Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
    • Hi. I'm afraid I've had to hide your post with the pdf files to keep this anonymous for you. You've left the PCN reference number and your car reg showing. Could you edit that and repost please? HB    
    • Well naturally if you want to maintain your outrage, and retain something to bitch about, then arguing about the level of your fixed monthly DD is the way to go. You are of course perfectly free to ignore the easy solution.
    • His financial situation isn’t great, and the landlord has made lots of things up. The things he’s put isn’t true at all. My friend did tell the full truth with incoming and outgoing, I helped him fill in his form and he checked bills etc. to make sure it was right. His wage is ok, but not as good as the landlord thinks it is,  and he doesn’t have anything spare. How much are they likely to take from him? Should he send any reply?  the letter just says to take the court letter with him. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Discussion on enforceability of agreements

toto003
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5438 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks car...

in my industry a certified copy is generally a photocopy of the original stanped and signed by a solicitor as being a "true copy of the original"...in this instance a true copy is an exact copy and the solicitor certifying it must have seen the original to certify it..

are the same standards applied here... as elsewhere a "true copy" is neither true nor a copy..in the accepted sense..

sorry to be pedantic..

FOTN

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can anyone clear up the question of whether copy documents are sufficient for court action or whether the creditor must have the original to succeed in court ?

They should have the original Agreement if it was originally a written Agreement.

See CPR PD 16 7.3

See also the opinion of the Chief Executive of the Office of Fair Trading:

Letters from DTI /Oft Regarding CCA1974 Issues – Post #49

The bottom line is, if the bank has been foolish enough to lose or destroy a Statutory Document, such as a written Regulated Credit Agreement, then they have lost the hard evidence of what was, or what was not, contained within the four corners of that Agreement.

If they only have a copy, then what they have is not hard evidence, it is classed as Hearsay Evidence. IOW, something that carries a much lower weight in terms of using it as evidence in comparison to the real thing.

A simple copy Certified by a banker should be quite low on the scale of being taken seriously by a Court. Sadly, many Judges need to be reminded of this fact.

The current finacial turmoil and the dubious practices of banks that are now coming to light, is ample evidence that banks are no more trustworthy than any other business...arguably less so because they deal with money.

Hearsay Evidence is covered by The Civil Evidence Act 1995 (CEA-1995). This sets out the considerations when copy evidence is to be submitted as Hearsay Evidence in place of the original hard evidence that the bank should have retained (if it had any sense). Always suspect that the bank may well have lost the original to hide what was not actually there originally.

For a copy written Agreement to be given a stronger weighting as evidence, then the bank should be made to present suitable evidence that tracks the complete history of the document from original, to copy, to destruction, to archive, and to cover every event when the copy has been re-copied, re-produced or potentially edited.

With this in mind, it is only reasonable to expect the bank would have a suitable Document Management System, one that is audited in some way to verify that the logs cannot be edited, deleted or manipulated.

Something along the following lines:

The Legal Admissibility of information stored on Electronic Document Management Systems

Hearsay Evidence backed up with hard Document Management System evidence is likely to be taken seriously...but not as seriously as the original. The fact remains that Hearsay Evidence is not the original, so can never match that in terms of its weight as hard evidence.

The task is to present the above to a Judge in such as way that the Judge does not simply accept a dubious copy of an alleged Agreement, just because it has been stamped by a banker saying it is a Certified Copy. Likewise, a Judge should also be aware that a Witness Statement by a banker claiming the copy is a copy of the original should not be taken seriously simply because a banker claims to know about the alleged Agreement without elaborating on why they feel they are in a position to say this. Just being employed by the bank in question is not good enough.

Many Witness Statements by bankers claiming to know about an alleged Agreement would not stand up to close cross-examination if the banker is asked probing questions about their time at the bank, which departments did they work within and when, and where are the logs bearing their signature to confirm they were involved with the alleged Agreement all the way from draft, legal consultation, artwork brief, artwork checking, artwork signing off, authorisation to Print on Press, cross-checking original brief with the Printed material coming back from the Press (to make sure there were no Printing Errors such as forgetting to print the Terms on the rear page for example), receipt of Stocks of the blank Agreement at the bank, stocking/security of the blank Agreement, collation of the blank Agreement for despatch to the Consumer (cross-checking that the correct Agreement was sent), Despatch/Posting of the alleged Agreement to the Consumer, booking in/receipt of the completed alleged Agreement from the Consumer, inspection of the alleged Agreement from the Consumer, credit checking of the Consumer before Authorising the Agreement, Execution of the alleged Agreement by the bank, storage/security of the executed alleged Agreement by the bank, authorisation to Copy the executed alleged Agreement by the bank, method of Copy by date/employee/equipment, archiving of Copy or Copies of the alleged Agreement (copies will be plural if it is a two-sided Agreement), authorisation to shred/destroy the original alleged Agreement...then a complete history of the copy/copies from Scanning/Copying until the present day.

Now, you have to ask, would it not have been simpler to retain the original?

Never, ever, trust a bank that cannot produce the original alleged Agreement. Force them to validate the Hearsay Evidence copy, and do not let them get away with wishy washy Certification Signatures or dubious Witness Statements made by people who were not actually a Witness to the complete history of the copy document(s) in question.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Typo

Not sure what you mean there.

A Default Notice is a precursor to taking enforcement action - the onus is on sending it, not making sure it was received.

If you're suggesting taking Court action without sending premilinary and LBA letters, then that is a dodgy area as the Court will want to see that you've taken the necessary action to attempt to resolve the issue before taking that action. To satisfy CPR in relation to preliminary attempts to resolve, you'd need to show that you sent those letters along with proof of that taking place - either in the form of proof of postage or receipt of the letters. CPR doesn't require proof of postage or receipt of a Default Notice, but the creditor must be able to show that one was sent. (Usually by a entry on an account ledger, for example)

Hya Car, no I was playing devils advokate, if they can send out default notices willy nilly without us even being aware until we check out our credit files (and then having dredful difficulty getting them off our file and inpacting on our lives) why cant I issue a default notice to mbna pre court action as they havent provided the information they should have ... sar to me and I will be enforcing this breach in court... then they would have a default on their credit file. do they have a credit file being a company or is that an individual thing? I have followed the course of action to the letter, first letter 12 + 2 days, then placing account in dispute and then lba prior to a cpr disclosure request then go for it, will show any judge that I have tried every way to play ball.

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

Brilliant thread, Steven. :)

Thank you.

I'm waiting for copies of my CCA's and will use your guidelines to check them in due course.

Thanks again ;)

Claimed bank charges back from First Direct - 2007

Claim pending for bank charges with Alliance & Leicester - 2008

Looking into enforceability of CCA's with MBNA (x2) and Next Directory - 2009

Both are multiple agreements but they seem to have got them both right. IMO both are properly executed and enforceable.

Hi Steven, Have been following your threads and have used your earlier checks to assess whether my Mbna CCA is enforceable or not. I wonder if you could give me a second opinion.

I CCA'd MBNA and received a copy of a proirity application form dated 1998. Firstly, the application form is not headed Credit Card Agreement but merely states below application form Credit agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974. It does not show any credit details on it and has an attached copy of the Financial Related conditions. It does not refer to the conditions being overleaf. Furthermore it states "i have received a copy and agree to be bound by the MBNA credit card terms and conditions". This would also seem to me to be an indication that the prescribed terms are not on the signed document.

Looking forward to your comments.:confused:

Hello I request a CCA from american express cards.They wrote back saying "the consumer credit act 1974 ( electronic communications) order 2004 resulted in there no longer deing a requirement for regulated consumer contracts to be signed by hand.Instead the order allows consumer credit documentation to be signed and sent electronically.

All they sent me was about 10 pages of terms etc, nothing with signatures on,APR's.Basically no financial information at all.

Could anybody helpThanks

The order they quote allows an electronic signature consisting of a ticked box. The terms the agreement should have is a statement about the credit limit, the APr and the repayment terms.

Thanks for the reply steve.

Is it enforceable then.It realy is just a pile of terms and conditions.There is a data sheet with my name and address on it, but no mention of any financial information.Sorry for asking but i dont understand them at all

Thanks andy

Have a look at the Consumer Credit Agreements link in my signature. If you applied online the agreement is almost certainly enforceable

Hello steven, an excellent thread with lots of help.

Could you pleae clarify something about mulitple agreements? I've received a copy of a CCA from LTSB from 2002. my tthread is Loan.http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/180747-ltsb-loan.html.

Although the scan isn't very clear, the copy is legible. It shows seperate columns for loan, ppi and total both as amount of credit and monthly repayment. THe apr is shown as one item below this table.

I don't think this makes it enforceable as I don't think that it has different prescribed terms. Also it states 'you should read all the t&c and the T&C of the ppi booklet.

Thank you for any guidance, just I think I have it sorted I read something else!!

Edited by cymruambyth
Link!

Here is a letter and CCA sent from american express.It looks nothing like an agreement to me.

Any advice welcome

CCAresponseletterfromAMEX-Michelle2.jpg

CCAfromAmexMichelleblanked.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: excuse me while i pick myself up off the floor from laughing so much,

youve gotta be kidding,

If thats a credit agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 the im a millionaire...................................................................................................

Hello all,

I am very new to this so please stay with me :???:

I have written to all my card companies due to the current financial climate and requested a true copy of my credit agreement, in order that I may make a full and final settlement offer. HSBC were the only bank so far to give me a response stating the following:

Section 78 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 requires us to provide "...a true copy of the executed agreement (if any)..." Regulation 3 (2) of the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 allows that certain items may be omitted from such copies, including the signature box and signature.

They very kindly sent me a photocopy of some leaflets copy of a credit card request form, credit card agreement terms and important changes to your credit card agreement?

Any advice is most welcome as to what I do next - shall I just send my payment offer?

Thank you in advance :)

"I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system, the universe is indifferent"

Don Draper, Mad Men

I've had the FOS consider my case against Sainsburys and they have came back with:

They say the appropriate forum for me to do that would be the courts. Not suprised at all by this as they routinely turn around with CCA matters and say, "Not our area".

They acknowledge that Sainsburys didn't even send me terms and conditions for nearly 10 months but have said nothing about them seeking to enforce the card in the meantime as well as process info to credit reference agencies.

They say that 'enorceable' realtes to 'enforceable in a court of law' and that the 'normal administrative operations of the account such as charging interest, or seeking repayment is not disputed'.

They also say that the fact that I have been continuing to make payments to the account suggest that there is no 'dispute' in the OFT sense and that I am not disputing any debt to Sainsburys (Rather than a recognition that I need a good credit record to work and that forcing the situation into a default to get taken to court to resolve the CCA issue would be damn near useless for me if I had to resign from work, lose my income, lose my house, etc!)

Also that the OFT do not prohibit interest of charges being added to loan accounts when in dispute and not credit card accounts.

The Bank are deemed not to require to forward copies of the term of the agreement at the time it was opened but can get away with current terms and conditions.

That the correct course of resolving this would be in court if I was a defaulting debtor (so, they're effectively asking me to stop paying and force Sainsburys to take me to court!)

Looks like I wasted my time with the FOS on that one!

Bank and credit card reclaims - £9,806

Sainsburys CCA non-compliance with FOS;

Natwest reclaim of £340 in progress;

Egg credit card reclaim in progress

Hello,

This may not be the right thread but I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Following a CCA request I have discovered significant breaches in two credit card agreements with MBNA and Citi which I believe make them totally unenforceable.

I have now ceased repayments on both cards, but I want to get this sorted before the DCA's step in and before I get defaults placed on my very clean credit record.

So my question is this: Is there a template letter that I can now use to write to them to advise them of the unenforceability of the agreements?

Help please?

Tony.

Removalman

I'd advise you to start your own thread/s one for each account as they are from different establishments.

Post a copy of suspect agreements on the thread/s (ensure you wash personal details) and some of the more experienced bods will be able to advise you of your next step.

sharpman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think you ought to follow Sharpman's advice and post the agreements. There isn't a general template letter to tell them their agreement is not enforceable and deciding what is and is not enforceable is not always that straightforward.

hmm i think they have been on the pop personally

that really made me laugh, i could just imagine some typist typing that up having a swig from the stress of working from his / her water bottle, wink wink

laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Think im going to have to give up as cant afford lazer eye surgery. Read through thread after thread looking for the answer , posted, pm d started my own thread and now just feel sorry for myself. Steve or PT you seem like good souls could you just tell me this or answer in my thread .

Where do you stand if there is no balance owed

but you know the agreemant did not exist ?