• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Full & Final Settlement Offer

Chris4918
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Fiance and I have recently had a property repossessed and owe £41,000 to the mortgage lender. When we received the first phone call chasing the payment or suggested payment plan we were told that the lender may accept a lump sum payment to close the account down. This sum was in the region of £7,000. Due to the arrears and subsequent repossession we have fallen behind on other payments (Egg & HSBC loans). We had spoken to an IVA company who not only wanted to charge us a fortune for their help but told us we would still be paying out for years to come. They did however advise us that most companies will take a lump some payment of around 25% of the outstanding loan amount (HSBC will want 40%).

We have since been speaking with family members who have offered us £15000 to try and clear all the debt before we end up going bankrupt. It breaks down as follows:

Mortgage owed £41,000 - Offered £7,000

Egg Loan owed £11,000 - Offered £3,200

HSBC owed £8,000 - Offered £3,500

As you can see apart from the mortgage offer, the other two offers are over what we were advised by the IVA company.

Has anyone here had any previous experience in this and what are our chances of having these offers accepted?

Thank you,

Chris

Hi there Chris,

I am no expert in these matters but i am sure someone will be along shortly to give you some sound advice. As for the IVA company i have found these to be a complete rip off as the 'Consumer Credit Counselling Service' offer the same assistance free of charge ( it is a registered charity for people suffering eith aspects of debt)

Why not give their website a browse and at least chat to an advisor (this would only help with unsecured debt i think although they may give advice on your secured debt also)

Hope this helps:)

Hang in there and keep checking this site, i am quite new to it but i have read many success stories on here and loads of support:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for your response.

I actually have a plan with the CCCS at the moment for debts in my name. They started at around £28,000 and now down to around £15,000 so this is being paid off slowly.

My Fiance has the 2 loans with HSBC and Egg in her name only and the £41,000 owed to the mortgage lender is in joint names. I actually had a response from the DC regarding the mortgage today in response to the £7,000 offer we had made. They have come back with a counter offer of just over £10,000 but i have had to tell them that we can only come up with £7,000 otherwise we will have to go BR and then they won't get anything! Just need to wait for their response tomorrow.

What i really need to know is what sort of percentage the lenders will accept as a settlement figure especially if they realise that we are considering bankruptcy.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I should think that if 7,000 is what you can afford then they possibly may accept it as refusing you could possibly leave them with nothing!!

Also it looks good on you to have made the offer even though it would place you in financial hardship etc etc.

Wait for your the reply tomorrow and let us know what happened but remember at the end of the day they must realize if you go for bankruptcy they will end up with nothing so my gut instinct is they will accept the 7,000

Just out of interest has your partner not thought of getting an IVA through the CCCS to deal with the Egg and HSBC loans as they are seperate from yours?? Even if this stopped the interest and charges accruing?

I hope it all works out for you both you should start getting some more experienced caggers helping you tomorrow:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have received a letter from them today... (although i never actually offered £8000 it isn't too bad)!!...

Dear Sir and Madam,

Our Client: Oakwood Homeloans Ltd

Current Balance Outstanding: £40,948.82

With reference to the above matter, we can confirm that your offer of £8,000.00 has been accepted by our client in full and final settlement of your personal liability.

This is provided that cleared funds, of £7000.00 are received at this office by 19 March 2009. You will also need to make a payment of £1000.00 by 24 monthly instalments to start on 01 March 2009. A standing order mandate form has been enclosed for your use.

On receipt of your full and final settlement payment we will notify our client and all relevant credit reference records will be amended accordingly.

Please note that should this agreement be breached, our client reserves the right to seek from you the full balance outstanding plus interest and costs.

Yours faithfully

Optima Legal

Can I just check you spoke to them yesterday and you received the letter today?

Seems very quick for these sort of characters plus they have agreed near enough to your offer very quickly without threatening to take you to court etc. Don't want to throw cold water on it but it seems to good to be true just be very wary what you sign. The letter they sent looks ok BUT i am no expert so get it checked by someone more clued up than me on here. They usually try to take it as a part payment and then chase you for the remainder later down the line.

If it's all ok and others agree it seems like a good deal IMHO:)

I will keep checking this thread to see how your going. Good luck.

If you feel I have helped please tickle my scales;)

MBNA - Ongoing

Egg Loan - Ongoing

I asked them to put the letter in the post but scan and email me a copy first. They have been chasing for weeks and we kept ignoring the calls, so decided to write them a letter offering a lump some to clear it. We offered £7,000 but they wanted £15,000, I offered to £7,000 again and they then came back with an ofer of £10,200. I told them if they didnt accept it then i would have no choice but to go BR. This is why they are happy with £7000 up front and another £1000 over 2 years. I am happy enough to pay £8000 up front to close the matter!!!!

Be careful, if you offer 8000 they may think you access to more money. Ask some of the others on here but i wouldn't offer 8k up front if all you said you had was 7k.

But it does look like a good deal unless anyone says otherwise, let me know how you get on with the other F&F debts.

I am about to go down the same route myself:)

MBNA - Ongoing

Egg Loan - Ongoing

• 2 weeks later...
I asked them to put the letter in the post but scan and email me a copy first. They have been chasing for weeks and we kept ignoring the calls, so decided to write them a letter offering a lump some to clear it. We offered £7,000 but they wanted £15,000, I offered to £7,000 again and they then came back with an ofer of £10,200. I told them if they didnt accept it then i would have no choice but to go BR. This is why they are happy with £7000 up front and another £1000 over 2 years. I am happy enough to pay £8000 up front to close the matter!!!!

Any further developmets on this chris4918, interested to see the outcome????

MBNA - Ongoing

Egg Loan - Ongoing

I spoke to a few family members who could help out with the other £1000. I asked Optima Legal what would happen if i could come up with the additional £1000 and he just said it meant the case would be closed quicker and we would have settled the matter.

I made a payment on Saturday of £8000 in full and final settlement. I had a 3rd party transfer the money for me as advised by different forums.

All should be fine now but will definitely let you know if it goes 'pear shaped'.

£42000 down to £8000. It's all about hanging on and sticking to your guns (even though i did have to increase by £1000!!!)

Thanks.

Thats great news, can you post the letter which confirmed the deal so we can use as comparisons?

Well Done;)

MBNA - Ongoing

Egg Loan - Ongoing

• 1 year later...

Hi

That's fantastic news. We are about to start the same but owing 70k. Can you give me any hints or tips as we have no money available for lump sum etc but would go cap in hand to relatives if we could get it down to a sensible amount. Please see my postings and thanks in anticipation.

Hi there

If you've been re-possessed and there is a shortfall I can't see why you should pay ANYTHING in spite of waht the law says -- what can they do --presumably no other assets they could levy so just tell them to stuff it.

Bailiff's cant seize anything worthwhile and if they go for Bankruptcy it will COST THEM plus you'd get off the credit card / other debts too.

I really in spite of what the law says would just tell them to Foxtrot Oscar -- meanwhile move your money to a "Parachute Bank" and if they really do threaten Bankuptcy then "Cash under the Matress" for a while before any hearing.

Actually in this case Bankruptcy isn't a bad idea -- 70K written off straight away. You don't own another house they could seize otherwise there already would have been a CCJ and Charging order on it.

The USA seems to have a more realistic approach to this -- the debt is tied to the PROPERTY not the person so if a property is repossessed that's the END of it.

Cheers

jimbo