Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4299 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Info on the various 'family friendly rights' can be found here:

your rights: working life and family-friendly policies - from workSMART.org.uk

The obvious one for you to look at is the right to 'Dependent Leave'

All employees have the right to ‘reasonable’ time off work to help people such as family members or friends who depend on them for assistance in an emergency. There is no set limit on how much time off can be taken but you can only take off the time necessary to sort out the immediate ‘problem’.

This time off does not have to be paid by the employer, even though the leave may only be for a few hours during a paid working day. However some employers (often those with trade union agreements on ‘family’, ‘special’ or ‘carer’s’ leave) already give paid leave in these circumstances, perhaps up to a certain number of days per year.

Che

• Haha 1

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Info on the various 'family friendly rights' can be found here:

your rights: working life and family-friendly policies - from workSMART.org.uk

The obvious one for you to look at is the right to 'Dependent Leave'

All employees have the right to ‘reasonable’ time off work to help people such as family members or friends who depend on them for assistance in an emergency. There is no set limit on how much time off can be taken but you can only take off the time necessary to sort out the immediate ‘problem’.

This time off does not have to be paid by the employer, even though the leave may only be for a few hours during a paid working day. However some employers (often those with trade union agreements on ‘family’, ‘special’ or ‘carer’s’ leave) already give paid leave in these circumstances, perhaps up to a certain number of days per year.

Che

Nice work Che:)

Some companies rely on the phrase 'in an emergency' to argue that child care/sick child/dependant is not an emergency as it is foreseeable that a child will be sick at some point so the employee should have a plan B. This was said to me by a director of HR at a large organisation :eek:

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

It is always a touchy subject, and impossible to apply one rigid set of rules to.

Parental rights (in this respect) exist to allow reasonable time off to cope with a family emergency. 'Emergency' is not actually defined in the regulations and will vary according to individual circumstances. A childminder going sick may not be an issue for a couple where one person has the option of working from home for a day, but may mean a huge inconvenience for a single parent with no alternative but to take a day off without pay.

I always used to say to staff that 'Sh!t happens and we can't always dictate when and where it will land on us or how long it will take to wash off'. A child with tonsillitis and with no alternative care available will neccessarily be more of an 'emergency' and will take longer to deal with, than the cat being off it's food. The latter might warrant a trip to the vet, but not round the clock attention for several days, however much it is one of the family!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!