Pay Cut without being told until today!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice?

I was called into my bosses office today and informed my wages would be decreasing from £20,800 to £18,000 with immediate effect (including pay day on Friday!).

Apparently this is due to restructuring within in the department I work in, while I completely understand the restructure what I find difficult to accept is the change to my salary.

What I want to know are they within their rights to inform me of the change after this has happened?

Thank you

Loz

Hi Loz

I've asked for this to be moved to the employment forum as you may get more help there.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Hi Loz

What is the nature of your job? How long have you worked there?

Speaking in general terms, the answer is 'no'. You should have a contract which agrees to pay you a salary in exchange for you performing certain functions. Even if you have no actual piece of paper which says that you earn £XX,XXX per year, providing that this has been paid regularly with no complaint on either side, this still constitutes a contractual agreement. Providing that you have never made a written agreement that the company may reduce or withold wages, then what they have done would amount to a breach of contract. As a part of this 'restructuring' have you been given a different job title or been asked to accept new T&Cs?

Unless you can be 'persuaded' to accept the reduction (for example it is either this or the company will become insolvent and you will no longer have a job OR we need to reduce your salary but in return we will give you [X]), then what they are doing is unlawful. You need to write a grievance letter expressing concern at their actions and witholding consent for the company to reduce your salary. Without your written agreement you may take action to force them to pay you the agreed rate.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

This situation constitutes an unlawful deduction from your wages as at no time were you consulted or gave consent for the deduction to take place.

As sidewinder says, sit and write a greivance letter stating that you do not give permission for this deduction to take place and that you will file for legal action for the amount to be restored and rembursed to you if they do not respond within 7 days of them recieving the letter.

If they sack you over this, then proceed straight to employment tribunal for unlawful dismissal.

I must say a wage reduction of £2800 is ridiculous, never mind their crap about "department restructuring", the are just trying it on to see wether they can get away with paying you less for making you do the same job.

Dont let them get away with it.