• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS/Shoosmiths Charging Order [Loan+OD] **SET ASIDE**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

COURT SUCCESS

Hi Guys,

Just to update you, I have just come back from court, where the judgement has been set aside !!

The charging order will not be granted and the interim has been removed.

The land registry details have been ordered to be amended as well.

It all came down to as far as I could see, the amounts that RBS said I owed and the amounts I proved I owed, and as a result the DJ said that from the outset, this should have been picked up, despite the fact that this was my defence in the first place!

This also brings into question the C/O brought against my wife on our loint account as that figure was also incorrect, as he put it if it's wrong with you, then it would be wrong with her. So I need to look into an application to have her C/O set aside.

I raised the issue of previous refunds on the main account, and this also throws up some interesting issues, as with the ongoing case/OFT - my case would tie into as so much as they would still be liable for any outstanding amounts due as and when the case appeals are thrown out.

This would again mean that the amounts RBS say I owe are reduced against the total balance.

Just thought that I would share this.... I have and will always maintain, my debt with RBS is acknowledged, and I will pay what I owe, but my objection was in the way the bank went about treating it's customers fairly. Today the DJ said that they have not.

We now await a response from shoosmiths / RBS on whether they want to fight further!

01.08.06 - RBOS - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request

01.08.06 - Alliance @ Leicester Credit Card - S.A.R sent

03.09.06 - £495 owed - Alliance and Leicester sent cheque for £130 - Accepted as partial payment

03.09.06 Alliance & Leicester - LBA letter sent to recover remainder

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Flyboy,

This is fantastic news and you've clearly done well at your court hearing.:D

Have to wait now to see the courts formal ruling, and whether Shoosmiths decide to pursue further.

Enjoy the rest of your day - you deserve to. :):cool:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Excellent news, lets hope they see sense and leave you alone. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Guys,

Yes I am glad that this stage is over. RBS will need to consider starting all over again with their claim. I think they expected to win on an easy roll over from me, but I suspect more often the case, they go to court with wrong information and details. For all of Shoosmiths posturing and intimidation, they were no better. The irony was that they had the statements and information to hand as well and they could have calculated all charges etc themselves. It took a meeting beforehand to sit and go through each one before they conceded that figures were wrong.

They did have the option to offer the difference off the existing amount as they offered, but the DJ said that with the fact that the figures were wrongin the first place and they being the claimants, they should have provided the right details.

It goes to show always check your figures if you want to challenge anything, it may prove to work in your favour. And if you can demonstrate this factually give 'em something to chew on !!!

I await a response from the other party.

03.09.06 - £495 owed - Alliance and Leicester sent cheque for £130 - Accepted as partial payment

Many thanks SP62 for your help on this one - you did say it could be done!!

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

After what seems an age - and a long running Saga with RBS, my resolve whilted and I agreed to sign a Tomlin Order sent to me by Shoos regarding outstanding amount with RBS. To be honest I was tired of fighting after 3 years of going to court etc, checking and rechecking paperwork, missed court appointments from Shoosmiths. I managed to get the Charging Order they were after thrown out, and defended the stupid thousands of pound in solictior charges that they wanted to claim from me.

A momentary relapse saw me agree to a Tomlin Order to agree out of court. I duly signed and sent back to them. I did not check properly the wording as it mention payment was to be "forthwith" - a schoolboy error on my part, there was no schedule for payments in the order, no time span or indication as how long the repayments were over, though I had in previous correspondence offer a monthly amount that I could afford. I referred to this as the amount that I would pay but there was no mention of it on the Tomlin Order.

As luck seems to have it, I recieved a letter from Shoos, and it appears that they have been informed by the courts that the courts are not happy with the wording of the Consent Form. They amended the consent form for me to sign and send back. Still no mention of the amount to be paid, no schedule of payment, though they have reduced the sum (or say they have) outstanding - still has "forthwith" and legal costs are included which they say are non negoitable.

Since then I have built up a second wind - revisited CAG - and to my horror - astonishment realised how close I came to committing a grave error - or have I?

If I don't sign this Tomlin Order - could they still pursue the Fast Track Court action which they were going to - but the Tomlin Order was a way of reducing litigation costs - Or were they merely bluffing and in order to get me to admit liability to the debt the Tomlin was produced? I have never refused liability and I have always on each court visit maintained this to the JP.

Can this be resolved with a Tomlin and not go to Fast Track - or are Shoos running on empty and this is a last ditch attempt?

I would welcome your views on this

You can add your own payment schedule to the Consent Order and remind the court that they are minded to ask for mediation on this matter - Tomlin orders are basically a way of getting you to pay up without it being on your record, usually they are very one sided.

You have an opportunity now to challenge the 'forthwith' by asking for it to be amended to

'Payment schedule for this to be as follows'

and list the payment amount YOU can afford on the date YOU choose

until the order has been paid - no further costs to be added by either party.

That should make Shoos turn pale!

Many thanks SG1, I will amend accordingly, and send back, as they are usually one sided, better to be on my side not theirs !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, got an answer back from Shoos today - and surprise, surprise they did not want to play fair.

They have reiterated their stance on the matter.

Will need to think this one through very carefully.

Personally I would not under any circumstance accept a Tomlin order and if I were you (especially since Shoosmiths have sent it back after the court rejected it) I would seek professional legal advice

before even considering signing up to it. Shoosmiths have much legal expertise, the Tomlin order is almost certainly bound to suit them 99% and you 1% ...approach with caution and seek

proper advice.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Some time ago RBS took myself and my wife to court in regards to various loan and current accounts we held with them.

They suddenly closed our banking with them almost overnight after I successfully managed to reclaim charges levied against us.

Up until then they had been receiving our salaries regulary into the current accounts - no default on any loans and overdrafts were small.

After a really acrimonious battle with Shoosmiths

- they managed to obtain a Charging Order against our family home

- which meant were we to move

- they would get a share of the proceed to satisfy the debt down.

The debt was registered on my credit file and I began to work on paying off as much as I could on some of our joint debts.

The majority of funds were paid through my wife's parachute bank account as she had managed to get one

- and we paid a nominal amount into this.

Even through one redundancy (me) and a job change - we were able to still pay without missing any payments.

Fast forward 6 years and finally the entries have been removed from both of our files.

We are able to breathe and live again!

- we still pay the monthly amount but

recently I have been getting letters from Shoosmiths directed to me to say that I need to send personal financial information

- with a proposal to pay my accounts off

- I have no issues with this

- to date we have paid enough to clear the sizable joint account that we held

- and I want to pay off the other accounts

- but to be honest, I have had my fill with RBS/Shoosmiths

- and the wringer we went through

- so - yes, I don't want to converse with them in any shape or medium,

they got their judgement,

they have their Charging order,

I am paying what I can to clear it down.

Recently they resorted to contacting me by phone

- to ask why I was not responding to them -

I told them my reasons

- they did confirm that the joint account was now clear.

My question is that

if I start paying my accounts off in my name

- are they able to re-enter on my file a default once I start paying those?

- Is there a double jeaporady?

Shoosmiths were not forthcoming with the information,

they said they would contact the client and get in writing (my request) this confirmation. I still await this.

I don't trust them

- never will

- but I have not and have no intention of not paying the debt off

- nearly 8 years later I still pay them something each month.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

so you have a CO via a CCJ

that you have been paying off at the rate set by the judge.

for ONE of the debts

the others have had no payments in more than 6yrs

and shoo's are trying to fleece you into paying these off now?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

for sake of history

I have merged several threads on the court/merging background to this new thread

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No, they cannot re enter defaults if these have already dropped off.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for your help - it is appreciated.