Help Required With Bailiffs Charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4678 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I wonder if somebody can help me with some charges Bristow & Suitor are trying to charge me on a Council Tax debt.

Last January the Council handed over my Council Tax debt to Bristow and Suitor. I made an arrangement with the Council to pay off the debt at £100 a month. As the debt had been handed over to Bristow I had to pay them directly which I have now fully paid.

Bristow and Suitor and now saying that I still owe money for their charges.

Can anybody tell me what the charges below are for and can they legally put these charges onto my account without my knowledge.

ATL Fee (1st Visit) - £24.50

ATL Fee (2nd Visit) - £18.00

Redemption Fee - £24.50

Levy Fee - £48.00

Van/Abortive Removal Fees - £180.00 x2

At no point did I enter into an agreement with this Company and at no point did they enter my home. They did call once to my knowledge and the guy was in a van but that was it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

They cant charge you the van fees- look on the bailiffs advice site- I have tried to put the link in but it keeps going to a tellytubbies site!! If you google "bailiff" it is the bailiff advice online site

I wrote to Bristow and Sutor asking for a full breakdown of their charges, and telling them I had complained to my council, and when they replied they had removed £300 worth of fees.

cas

Hi Wabco, I'll try to help. The 1st & 2nd visit fee are laid in statute. You could argue that they only visited once if you can prove this (you can ask for proof but they usually lie about this). If no levy was in place (make sure they did not levy on your car when on drive etc.) all other fees cannot be charged. It does sound as though they are trying on. Of course id the bailiff is not certified that called, they can't charge a penny. Hope this helps!

Hi Wabco, I'll try to help. The 1st & 2nd visit fee are laid in statute. You could argue that they only visited once if you can prove this (you can ask for proof but they usually lie about this). If no levy was in place (make sure they did not levy on your car when on drive etc.) all other fees cannot be charged. It does sound as though they are trying on. Of course id the bailiff is not certified that called, they can't charge a penny. Hope this helps!

I have spoken to Bristow & Suitor today and they say they have a levy against a car that was on my drive although I was not at home when they called and I don't even own a car. I presume they are trying it on and cannot levy against a car that I do not own?

Then you should have had some paperwork through the letterbox to show that a levy took place.

A stat dec should do it

Had absolutly nothing to say that a levy took place back in January 2007.

How can they levy on something when they have not even entered the property? Surely they are just guessing or trying it on by saying they have a levy on a car that was parked on the property.

What is a stat dec?

I presume I can demand that these charges be removed from my account or can they get away with saying that they have a levy on a car even though I don't own one and I have nothing in writing to say a levy took place.