spoof telephone call?

Louisiem
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

My case with Cahoot was stayed 18 months ago. this morning i received a phone call from a company who were called Something Financial Services, claiming to be working for Abbey. What was immediately suspicious was that they used my married name rather than my maiden name which is the name my account was held in.

They said that the court ruling meant that i was due to be refunded all my bank charges in full, but a one time payment of £49.99 was to be collected once Cahoot had made the payment. They asked me to confirm my name and address, which i did. I then became suspicious when they asked me for my 16 digit card number. I had no id to confirm they were who they said they were. They said this was for verification, but i no longer use my cahoot card, so they asked me for my other card number. How would this verify my identity? Obviously i refused to give the number!

I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences, and is this a genuine or spoof call?

:confused:

How the bleep:(are these getting our numbers, I know a few on the same street who had bad line calls from abroad it appeared, so I dont feel so paranoid now. They start off with they are legitamate and regulated by the law, sound familiar? Dont give them any card details. I get them ringing me every single day and they keep trying the same stuff, concerning thing was they knew my surname on a new line, so somethings up. Only people given new number was when I did competition on ITV, could this be a possible link? Hope Im wrong.

It doesn't matter whether it was geniune or not (and I couldn't confirm either way) you should never be expected to give out sensitive personal information over the phone. If they call again, ask them to put everything in writing, tell them this is the only manner in which you will correspond with them, and post the letter here for advise (removing any personal details).

If they get shirty or try to intimidate you, hang up.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

If they say they were working for Abbey, shouldn't Abbey foot any costs?

And this £49.99 could it be similar to the banks £12 charge, as in reasonable admin.

Anyway, why give out any personal details when someone has called you. It was highlighted in a program whereby the caller introduces themselves as a company you already know, gives a lot of information about yourself, just to drop your guard then proceeds to gleam information they don't already have.

This sounds like a variation on a similar theme...

The objective is to get you to reveal the last 3 security digits on the back of your card (any card). They have some details on you (name, address, phone number etc), but not enough to make an online purchase for example.

APACS (The UK bank clearance association) had released a press release a couple of weeks ago about this. See Payments industry alerts consumers to be wary of card fraud phone [problem] to explain the method in a bit more detail

This is quite a recent phenomenon so someone somewhere is selling info & I suspect the source may be overseas where many call centers have gone.

Whoever receives such calls should get the name of the company & report their fears to the ICO & demand they investigate

I had a email in the last couple of weeks warning of the above scams. Sometimes they actually tell you the 16 digit number and ask you for your 3 digit security code and that's what they are really after.

Police and TS are aware of these and are asking to try and get the telephone numer of the person calling.

As always never give out personal info and all banks would never ask for these details over the phone anyway

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)