style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

can anyone help? i work for a large law firm and was told yesterday that 2 from my team of 7 are to be made redundant. (2 do wills and 5 do probate - i'm probate).

the consultation period starts now and those selected for compulsory redundancy will be notified on 19 march. voluntary redundancies have also been asked for.

I have worked there 18 1/2 years. there are 2 more senior above me, one equal to me and one below me(she is currently pregnant)

the department is made up of 2 teams and there is a partner in charge of my team with another partner in charge of the department overall.

the partner in charge of my team announced the redunancies yesterday as the department head was on holiday!

my team partner was off today and the department head came to see me just before i left the office to ask how i was. I was amazed as she doesnt usually care how people feel about anything.

i told her naturally upset that i could lose my job nd my husband wa self employed in construction and he could go anytime and with 3 young children it wasn't ideal.

SHe then said "Well you could live off benefits couldn't you!" not unless i want to lose my house i said.

i then told her i was surprised about our time as with the pregnant girl going on maternity leave i thought we would be ok as there was enough work for the 4 of us that was left and that i knew one of the wills people was extremely quiet. (the other is a blue eyed girl so shs not going anywhere) she then piped up and said "well we need her because she can do things that you can't!!!"

i told her that of my 18 1/2 yrs service the last 2 1/2 were part time and that i would lose out cos if i took voluntary then i would have liked to ask for it to be on full time pay given my length of service and loyalty (been there since school). she said oh yes you should definately tell them you want it on full tme pay.

i have since found out that my team partner rang her to see if she had spoken to the team and she said she had to everyone but me, she then asked my team partner to ring me cos she didnt want to come and see me and my team partner refused.

it seems to me that she knows i will be one of the two made redundant by refusing to see me and then making those comments.

i was thinking of making a formal complaint to human resources.

do you think should i take legal advice as i think it could be unfair as she has hinted on day one of the consultation period that its me.

thanks

Sorry to hear of your situation.

You are absolutely correct in that no decision should have been made regarding redundancy without proper consultation and due selection processes being applied. In an environment where people have been put at risk however, there will be a natural suspicion and those affected will read situations more suspiciously than usual - that is human natureand will no doubt be the company's response to any specific allegation of prejudice. To take legal advice at this stage would most probably not gain much as it would appear that other aspects of the process are being carried out correctly.

That said, it would not harm your case to raise a grievance outlining your fears in the light of comments made.

There is also a very informative guide HERE which you might like to check to see whether your employer is applying the correct procedure - it may prove useful if you want to establish whether the redundancy is fair or not if the worst does happen.

• Haha 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Guest Gordons Barking

All a bit over my head but depending on how much cash they give you the new rules are 13 weeks before mortgage interest is paid by the DWP - so not as desperate as it was until recently.

good luck.