NEXT Directory have decreased my credit limit!

loobyloo35
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3983 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had an account with Next for approx 3-4 months, started off with £150 credit limit and this was increased approx 3 weeks ago to £250.

I have ALWAYS paid this on time and more often than not have paid over the minimum monthly payment.

I had a letter the other day saying that due to information held on the credit bureau they were decreasing my credit limit back to £150.

Can they do this even though I have held my account in good standing?

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks

Delfi....much as you are entitled to your opinion, I don't think it really helps the OP much.

LL....I have noticed recently a lot of credit limits coming down, and they are entitled to do it, they may see you as not a 'good' customer, don't take that the wrong way, but they like people to leave a balance on their accounts as that's how they make their money.....

It may also be because something may have cropped up on your credit file possibly....

It might be worth writing a strong letter to the Chief Exec of Next stating your annoyance at this, it certainly does not give the right waves to keep shopping with them. If he doesn't reply with an explanation, i'd close the account and shop elsewhere (tell them this too....)

It certainly isn't keeping with your needs as a customer !! (tell them this also...)

It may of course be the simple fact that they are possibly in trouble too !!

As are you .... but this is about 'Legal Issues' in the 'Debt Collection Industry' and for the sake of £100 in dropped credit limit it sounds very trivial to me. I see no debt to be collected.

When you look at the problems that people have on here I still contend that this is a frivolous and somewhat insensitive post.

D

I strongly suggest you read the other threads in this forum to understand how frivolous and uncaring this post actually sounds.

D

This post is not meant to sound uncaring at all, but I just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat as I am trying to get my life back on track and I feel like its two steps forward three steps back.

Polite request - Please refrain from answering my posts if you cannot help, thanks

Thanks for your advice 42man, I am going to send them a letter and just see what they say. The thing is, if they increase it back in a few weeks/months guess its not too bad, but now they have decreased my limit I actually owe them nearly £200 so on my credit file it will look like I have exceeded my allowance!

Hi there,

Did they give you any notice of the change in credit limit? As far as I am aware they have to make you aware of the change with a reasonable time frame to bring the account in-line with the new set credit limit. I was given 30 days notice when the limit was amended on my credit card. Don’t know if it is the same as a store card.

Stewie

PS: I would ignore the other posts. Totally uncalled for. This is a consumer forum covering everything from Legal issues to the price of cat food (Yes there is a thread on it, and very interesting! Especially since I don’t even have a cat) :rolleyes:

I need to change my avatar..But cant find a good replacement.

Hi there,

Did they give you any notice of the change in credit limit? As far as I am aware they have to make you aware of the change with a reasonable time frame to bring the account in-line with the new set credit limit. I was given 30 days notice when the limit was amended on my credit card. Don’t know if it is the same as a store card.

Stewie

PS: I would ignore the other posts. Totally uncalled for. This is a consumer forum covering everything from Legal issues to the price of cat food (Yes there is a thread on it, and very interesting! Especially since I don’t even have a cat) :rolleyes:

Hi Stewie, thanks for your emaill. They didnt give me ANY notice whatsoever, I placed an order the other day which went over my limit and then I received a call asking me to pay via card so I could receive the order, I declined and said I would place the order at a later date.

The next thing I knew is that this letter came the other day stating that due to my credit history my limit was being reduced. I guess I should be lucky that they were not closing the account, but then, I guess that could be their next step!

Thanks for your advice btw, glad to see most people on here are helpful LOL

I am almost certain they would have to give you some sort of notice in the reduction in credit available. How else would you know to bring your account inline with the new limit?

Now according to their records you are basically over the limit and possibly could apply over limit charges to your account and an adverse mark on your credit file or history as a bad payer.

I think someone with a bit more store card experience should answer this one, but I would not be happy with it. And as for you being lucky they haven’t closed your account. They should be grateful they still have a business to trade in these uncertain times. Only the companies with good pricing and excellent customer service will survive (My 2cents worth :D)

Stewie

Edited by 082stewie

I need to change my avatar..But cant find a good replacement.

• 1 month later...

Over the months or years if you keep the card I think you'll find that Next will play around with credit limits a lot. I took a card out about 5 years ago, basically to help get my credit rating back on track. In the first year, they started me out on a small limit, then gradually increased, then decreased, then increased again, then it settled down. Luckily I'm now older and hopefully wiser when it comes to debt, as my £250.00 limit is now £3600.00 without even asking me if I wanted a limit that high, but I don't feel the need to go spend spend spend as I would have done. I wouldn't worry about this, it is just a sign of the times I think. I was also one of the ones who had my egg card cancelled, no reason, wasn't in arrears/default just that I didn't make egg much money, was really p***sed off when they emailed me to tell me and tried to make it sound like it was somehow my fault and i was too risky to give credit too, bloody cheek, but i digress

Over the months or years if you keep the card I think you'll find that Next will play around with credit limits a lot. I took a card out about 5 years ago, basically to help get my credit rating back on track. In the first year, they started me out on a small limit, then gradually increased, then decreased, then increased again, then it settled down. Luckily I'm now older and hopefully wiser when it comes to debt, as my £250.00 limit is now £3600.00 without even asking me if I wanted a limit that high, but I don't feel the need to go spend spend spend as I would have done. I wouldn't worry about this, it is just a sign of the times I think. I was also one of the ones who had my egg card cancelled, no reason, wasn't in arrears/default just that I didn't make egg much money, was really p***sed off when they emailed me to tell me and tried to make it sound like it was somehow my fault and i was too risky to give credit too, bloody cheek, but i digress

Thanks for the email - they decreased it because of my credit rating. The thing is I have now found out that being over your credit limit is then recorded on your credit file and this reduces your score.

I have written to them to ask whether they propose to do anything about their recordings so not to affect my score, but in two months/payments time I shall be back under the £150 limit anyway!

As are you .... but this is about 'Legal Issues' in the 'Debt Collection Industry' and for the sake of £100 in dropped credit limit it sounds very trivial to me. I see no debt to be collected.

When you look at the problems that people have on here I still contend that this is a frivolous and somewhat insensitive post.

D

I'm sorry but I have to comment on this. Whilst it may not be as serious as other problems posted, it is still a request for advice. The OP may have this as their only possible option to buy clothes. I know a few people who cannot afford to buy their togs in one go, but have had a small amount of credit to pay for items on a weekly or monthly basis that they can afford and work hard at making sure payments are made on time.

I also know of a former JD Williams employee who advised on the company removing credit limits from otherwise good payers, at best depriving them of a means to buy goods and at worst causing them to go into arrears and all the problems that ensue.

Just how small does a problem have to be before it becomes trivial? Sure there have been some rather incredulous "problems" posted that a bit of common sense would resolve, but one does not need to be in dire straits to require advice.

I'm moaning about the works to my kitchen (or rather destruction of) by the council. Now I could easily say that I should be grateful I have a kitchen at all. But if we are going to start to compare our problems to those of the most unfortunate on this planet, no-one should complain unless they are literally starving to death.

• 2 months later...
Over the months or years if you keep the card I think you'll find that Next will play around with credit limits a lot. I took a card out about 5 years ago, basically to help get my credit rating back on track. In the first year, they started me out on a small limit, then gradually increased, then decreased, then increased again, then it settled down. Luckily I'm now older and hopefully wiser when it comes to debt, as my £250.00 limit is now £3600.00 without even asking me if I wanted a limit that high, but I don't feel the need to go spend spend spend as I would have done. I wouldn't worry about this, it is just a sign of the times I think.

I agree... I've had my Next account for about 5 years now & they do the same with me. Started off with a £500 credit limit which they raise or lower 2 or 3 times each year. They never once notified me when they changed my limits, (anything from £500 - £2,500), but it doesn't really bother me as I didn't use it that often, mostly at their end of season sales - when i'd notice that they'd sneakily whack up my credit limit by quite a bit, probably hoping i'd spend it all in their sale lol.

Hope you get the outcome you're after :)

• 5 months later...

I had my letter yesterday after placing an order, the order was cancelled and my credit limit went from £2800.00 to £121.00. I have been with Next plc for 13 years and spent quite alot over the years. I rang them today and calmly asked them not to sent me anymore catalogues as I would not be buying anything from them again. I did try to find their CEO's email to suggest they might be losing customers by doing this, but I could not find the info. Yes it makes you feel mad, but at the end of the day there are other catalogues out there, so Next plc are the only losers.:D

Send him/her a letter at their head office.....tell them that after being a loyal customer for 13 years, you take their recent action to be a strong indication that they no longer need your business, and they have failed to keep their service in line with your needs and expectations And bearing i n mind their corporate message stating -

"Our Customers - we will work to ensure we meet or exceed our customers' expectations through the delivery of excellent products and service"

You feel they have failed you in their actions. And you will now no longer shop with Next...

The Chairman / CEO will not be happy at reading your letter...

• 3 years later...

Hiya Loobyloo45 The problem being is this, I had a pal whom had the exact same problem as your's and low and behold I am in exactly the same position as you & she!! A few things I have learned about Next Directory, My pal had a small, but tidy balance on her account and they froze the account within months of her having the account simply because she changed her E-mail adress, she phoned and they said that she would have to open a completely new account with them and close the old one, meaning a new Credit Allowance probably smaller and another Credit Check, all came back fine but for security purposes they required a valid Credit Card registered at her adress in her name...she did so and all went swimmingly. She like myself are good payer's on-time pay more sometimes than usual, but they have this rather annoying habit of fluctuating your credit allowance. One day hers was £700 the next £100.

Now they have done with me is I have only had the account '2' weeks would you believe and my credit rating is 'Excellent' I have two other mail order accounts and manage them both fine, no probs all is well. But Next gave me £150 to start with and now I have nothing!!! Zero. I was not informed even though in the Credit agreement & pre-contract they state I will be given suitable notice of variations. Although I do accept they can do as they wish, it is not good customer practice to do this sort of yo-yo credit up and down. I mean if they are so paranoid about giving credit and wary that we are all out to [problem] them in any way shape or form then whey offer credit in the first place??

This kind of thing infuriates me totally as my other mail order catalogues do not treat me like this at all!! But Next does and it is a know fact. So what have I done? Told them, not just you customer services but the Managing Director he came back to me as 'Out of Office' so I got hold of his P.A.'s E-mail adress and other company directors and sent them a stinking letter and making them aware I, me as the customer deserves a better level of care, standard of service and treating like a human being! Just sitting back now waiting for the fun to unfold....If they don't reply the get the same standard letter again until they get sick of it!! Who do they think they are for God's sake??

• 1 month later...

[email protected] Next CEO, I wouldn't expect too much sympathy from him.

Vodafone - Default removed (07/01/07).

MBNA - Claim settled with contractual interest and adjusted credit file to show no late payments (12/02/07).

CABOT - Taken to Court by Cabot/Morgan over alleged credit card debt, case dismissed (06/12/10).

• 1 month later...