Accuread....long story, advice wanted

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5277 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yesterday afternoon, my husband pulled into our drive after picking up the kids from school, there was a car parked on the road & a man popped out of the car when he saw my husband parking up and approached him, the conversation went like this :

Man: Does a Jo Bloggs live here.

Hubby:Why whats it concerning

Man: Oh, its some documents

Hubby: Do they need signing for

Man: No they're just damaged

H: Where are you from, the Post Office?

M: No, I'm from Accuread, we read meters but we also do other things.

H: Well, I'm her husband, so I'll take the documents.

M: I dont have them, we have to confirm the address & send them on.

The Accuread man then ran (I do mean ran !!) down the drive, into his car & sped off. Both me & my hubby have found this all a bit strange to be honest, he approached my husband with the meter reading gadget, but didnt make any attempt to enquire about reading the meter or approach the house, just wanted to know if I lived there.

Does anyone know if Accuread are also a DCA?? Is this normal for a utility company to send someone to check if I lve there??

I appologize if this thread is in the wrong section.

• 1 month later...

Hiya Wellie 81

Unfortunately the answer is yes

Accuread do now work for credit agencies (some major companies now use thier services for data collection).

However I would say the Data Collectors behaviour was strange as they would have all the relevant information (could be incorrect - if they are chasing dubious characters that have borrowed your address) on thier Handheld Terminals.

Visit Accureads website and give them a call, Their systems will have have every address or job enquiry they have ever completed and the nature of visit.

My guess at Data Collectors behaviour is he actually turned up at the wrong address and then realised his mistake.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jdmave

Totally agree with jdmave. Give them a call and enquire if they have sent anyone to your address.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Thanks for the replies...just wanted to add that since the visit from Accuread, I have had a letter from a creditor saying that they know I am resident at my address using the utilities!! (no doubt that this has come from Accuread), am now dealing with the creditors!!!

Thanks again for your replies.

doesn't any of this come under the data protection act anymore....

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

• 7 months later...

hello

hopefully i can shed some light.

i used to work for accuread, now g4s. when they set up a debt collection company under the name uk debt and legal. i was a debt collector. the process was that first we had to confirm that "the debtor" lived at the address we had on record. this was known as trace verification. however he should not have said he was from accuread, nor should he have been in accuread uniform. the "script" we were to follow was to ask if the debtor lived at the address. if asked why, then we were to say that there was some paperwork of a delicate nature to be sent out but first we had to confirm that you lived at the address. if "the debtor" confirmed that they live at the address, the collector sent a message back to the office, and then the collection process could commence. it sounds like the guy who turned up at yours simply cocked up his script, panicked, and did a runner. this just goes to show that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

since being taken over by g4s, the collection company has been scrapped as g4s say its bad for their image.

hope this clears up a few things