• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Longwaydown vs Co-op credit card

Longwaydown
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4947 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there Longwaydown. I have my own dispute with the Co-op ongoing at the moment (I will get round to posting a thread about it soon!). A somewhat illegible set of Terms and Conditions that I presume were supposed to have been on the back of the Application Form/Credit Agreement. While the account was in dispute they sent me a non-compliant default notice and then terminated the account 4 days later!

I too suffered the plethora of telephone calls until they actioned my "remove my number from your system" request. Then they started again! When I challenged this they explained they had run an update from a (presumably BT) directory service of some sort.

They have sent mine on to a DCA called Red in Worthing, and their pet in-house solicitor Resolution Legal Services, who have threatened me with a Statutory Demand and Bankruptcy Proceedings. I have just yesterday sent a strongly worded letter to the solicitor telling them that if they did so I would apply to have it set aside, detailing all that the Co-op have done wrong, and pointing out that there is unlawful recission of contract to take into account, and that if they do start legal action I will counterclaim for harassment for the excessive quantity of telephone calls.

So please be assured, you're not alone in this!

As to your letter I personally would re-word that last but one paragraph as follows:

I therefore require you to zero the balance of the account, close the account, agree not to persue the alleged debt, remove all data relating to this account from your records and systems, and remove all data relating to this account from any and all credit reference agencies where you have registered information.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, had a reply from their Customer Feedback Consultant saying:

"I note that you have previously referred your complaint to the FOS. The FOS provided us with a copy of their decision letter dated 18 August 2009, where it stated that they were unable to recommend your complaint be upheld.

As we do not consider your account to be in legal dispute, we shall be continuing with our usual procedures to collect the outstanding balance.

Should you have any queries please contact our Debt Management Dept ..."

So, I'm just about to reply with this:

I refer to your letter of 2nd November , the contents of which I note.

I am aware of the FOS’s position as set out in their letter, but as they are only the opinions of the FOS, they do not alter that fact that, legally, the account is in dispute and will remain in dispute until such time as you supply me with a true copy of the credit agreement as required by s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The FOS also stated that it would be for a court to decide whether a debt is ultimately legally enforceable in the absence of an agreement.

Is this a good idea? I'm waiting for the results of my SAR - the 40 days are up on 7th December - am I best to wait for this?

Cheers

Edited by Longwaydown

• 2 weeks later...

Now Fredericksons are on the case - keep calling me at work and when I answered the phone at home tonight, the guy just used my first name and then got arsey with me when I wouldn't go through the security process.

Whilst he said he needed security questions answered to go any further he still discussed letters and conversations before advising me he was listing this call as me failing to co-operate.

I had a letter from them set out as a letter before action which made it look like there were court costs and solicitors fees already in place. Quite clever, I thought. I've sent them a letter today including a copy of the letter from the Co-op saying they can't provide a copy of the agreement, so hopefully, that will send them packing.

40 days are up on Monday for the SAR, so once I've seen what they've really got, I can defend a bit more robustly.

Interesting developments there Longwaydown. If it goes the same way as mine, which is with Gothia (Red Castle Recoveries/Resolution Legal Services), and another thread I have seen where Fredrickson's are involved, you will get a nice letter saying their action is on hold while they investigate. Hopefully they will do a better job than Gothia did for me (see http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-2623874.html).

I note you say the 40 days for their response to a SAR is up soon. Have they even acknowledged receipt of your SAR? I just sent them one at the beginning of last week.

Hi Iain, The 40 days is up on Monday, although reading through various posts, I don't think that means much! If they fail to provide the info within 40 days, it seems I could complain to the information commissioner, which I think I'll do just to make a trail.

I've not had an acknowledgement from the Co-Op, although it was recorded delivery and they received it on 30th October. Even allowing 40 days from the day they received it, I would hope to see something next week (I won't hold my breath though!).

Once I get the SAR back, I'll be able to see if they hold anything on me that could constitute an agreement as it is my understanding that they cannot produce anything in court that is not in the SAR. If Fredericksons get funny, I'll have a more concrete base to defend from, so fingers crossed!

SAR arrived today with a list of their notes, statements and a copy of their current T & C's - no agreement!

Also received a letter from Fredricksons saying they have referred the matter to their client and have put the account on hold.

The only thing that concerns me now is the FOS decision on my complaint - does this hold any sway with the courts?

• 5 months later...

Well, Fredrickson gave up the chase and wrote to me in May saying they were no longer instructed, so all good there.

Last week, I started getting calls from EQL and finally a letter Friday from Equidebt threatening to doorstep me - I didn't think they could do this?

Anyway, the telephone harrassment letter and my copy of the letter from Co-Op saying they haven't got an agreement will be in the post tomorrow.

Anyone had any dealings with Equidebt? If so, do they have teeth?

Lonwaydown, although a bit of a hypothetical answer, none of the DCAs would have any teeth in the light of a letter from the Co-op stating they don't have the agreement.

The problem for you is how much of a pita they make themselves while you chase them off with that letter. And how many more DCAs you have to go through before 6 years elapses, the Co-op actually agree to a write off/short settlement, or (least likely) the Co-op actually take you to court.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi longwaydown

I've been at the co-op since mid-08 and they are still prattling on. I've been sent several illegible application forms that have no pt's on them. I also have a letter stating they can't find the agreement, but have sent the application form, and again like you, I had a termination followed by a DN followed by a termination.

They are just complete bankers.

Writing to the CEO (twice) did nothing. Pulling them up on blatant lying regarding default regs did nothing. They are unbelievably arrogant and to my mind are possibly the worst of the lot as their slogan likes to suggest they are a new-age touchy feely institution.

As I always say with the co-op - ethical bank my bum.

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

I totlay agree with you lexis200, of all the banks and financial companys i have had to deal with i think Co-op are the worst. They are not even "goood with fod"!!!!

hello all:-)

• 3 months later...