• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.   EDIT:  Just to be clear, I am not intending to go against established advice by suggesting that appeals should ALWAYS be made, just my thoughts on the particular case of paying for parking and entering an incorrect VRN. Also, I continue to be grateful for any advice you give on my own particular case.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advice Needed - Broken Laptop screen

Doomsdaydevices
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In October, me and my mother went halves on Advent 6411 from PC World (d'oh), and it has been working fine, until now. Yesterday, I was sat down with it, and had been on it for a number of hours, when something caught my eye on the TV. When I looked back at the laptop, there were black marks on the bottom of the lcd screen, and bars stretching up it. I was very shocked and couldn't understand what had happened.

I immediately took it into my local computer shop, who told me it had been caused by severe physical damage (or not?), and that I should at least try to get it on warranty from PC World before I think about getting it replaced.

The thing is, the time I was looking at the TV could only have been 2-5 mins, I didn't touch the laptop in that time, I didn't move from my seat, and there was no one else in the room.

Now, I know for a fact that PC World will not repair or replace it without a fight, and will claim that I have done something to cause it (the man at my local shop said they'll probably say I closed it whilst a pen was on it, but no closing occured...), but me and my mother are going to go down there anyway, just to kick up a fuss. Does anyone have any information (similar problems ?) that we can use in our defence? I am incredibley angry about all this...

Its still under 6 months old so you dont have to prove a thing

under the sale of goods act if its under 6 months old it is down to the retailer (pcworld) to prove that the fault is of the customer

it is not down to the customer to prove that they were not at fault

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Bare in mind that the techguys have "extensive test knowledge" of user damage and will more then likely just return it to you unrepaired if their "tests" provide evidence of this.

At which point you should obviously ask them to provide said evidence.

Although if as you've suggested you've kept the laptop on your lap whilst it had been on for a significant length of time, the fault would be yours if you've blocked a vent and the display errors are due to an overheating GPU (graphics processing unit).

Although you don't have to prove anything, be very careful, because this doesn't mean they won't find out if you have accidentaly damaged anything, I work for the company, and even I'm not sure if this extensive testing exists or not, but I've seen photos and company documents stating so. Not that I don't believe your story of course, but accidents do happen.

Labrat is correct the Sale of Goods act states that if the item is under 6 months old they have to prove to you that it was your neglect that caused this to happen - and with all due respect to anyone working for PC World - ask to speak with the manager immediately when you get there as general employees neither have the authority or a clue about the sale of goods act to be of any use to you.

I see a lot of broken laptop screens everyday & guess what It is usually the customer trying to pull a fast one, I even had a Laptop today where the customer reckoned that when they played a film via the DVD-RW Drive the screen just miraculously cracked.

I bet there is more that one impact mark on the screen, that is why it is considered physical damage.

So quote SOGA blah blah blah ... This pretty much allows customers to get a free repair or a refund. Its a legal way to fraud companies, which is starting to annoy me

h2o with all due respect not everyone that claims under the soga is trying to defraud any companies. it is there for a reason, to protect customers from shoddy products. and whilst I do not doubt some people aren't exactly truthful I think basically saying most customers are liars is going a little far. and if the company have a genuine case to refuse under soga they can and would have nothing to worry about

I do understand your point H20, alot of customers do try and pull a fast one with various items using SOGA as an all perpose legal cover for such activitys.

What you have to understand is that as a company we have no right to decline repairs on items without proof within the first six months. But if a customers item goes off to the techguys with a say.. a broken screen, you can be sure as hell they'll test the damage before spending cash repairing it. As it's incredibly rare for a screen to be broken without having some kind of impact to it. And if proven to be neglect or otherwise uncovered damage, the customer goes without a laptop until it's sent back unrepaired. Time they've wasted within which they could have had it repaired genuinely by paying for their mistake.

What we can't do in store is start refusing returns based purely on the type of damage, i.e. broken screens. As I said, it's very likely to be accidental damage, but it's not impossible for it to be a screen fault or something similar. And while there's still a chance it was not the fault of the customer, they get the benefit of the doubt.

I must admit though, I do see alot of people fighting for proper recognition of consumer rights on here but none fighting against those who abuse them.

And doomsday I'm just speaking in general here, none of this is aimed at you, although we seem to have hijacked your thread slightly :p

Edited by Renzokuken

I do agree with you Renzokuken & I shouldnt have generalised to that extent.

I do appologise to people reading this if I have caused any offence.

The major problem is how we can openly weigh up manufacturers fault verses accidental damage. I dont want customers to have to jump through hoops just to get a fair & accurate assessment I personally would prefer it if we had a 3rd party setup who could look at these issues objectively & then report their findings to us. I also think that when these units are inspected there should be some form of photographic evidence that can be seen by both the customer & the repair centres.

Unfortunately it is all about cost & until we come up with some solid procedures for these problems it is going to create a lot more problems like the issue Doomsdaydevices is having.

Sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your laptop, turns out that looking at this forum its not just me that's been screwed over by PC World on a broken screen with the advent laptops.

Recently I put my laptop on the table and typed my password in (the screen was not damaged in any way, shape, or form) I went to get a drink whilst it loaded but when i got back there was a crack to the screen, I went back to PC World and they stated that as I didn't get the extra warrenty (which apparently covers accidental damage and manufactures one year doesn't) there was nothing they could do, as it couldnt of been the manufacture fault as I had it for 10 months.

As I said to them this is not my fault, I haven't done anything to the laptop, it just cracked when know one was near the laptop so how can it be accidental damage. PC World made it very clear that they weren't interested and they will charge me £200 for the screen to be replaced (I could get a new laptop for this price these days)

Speaking to others who have had problems with PC World laptops, once they have got you to buy the laptop they will have nothing to do with you unless you pay the cost for them to have a look at it, or get sent to the manufacture. This is an added cost which I thought came under manufacture warrenty hence why we are entitled to one?

I gave up with PC World and went to a different retailer that isn't related to PC World in any way, I have had no problems with this laptop but its less than a year old (but I did take out the extra cover paln - just in case)

Hope this gives you an idea fo the dealings I have had with PC World

Sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your laptop, turns out that looking at this forum its not just me that's been screwed over by PC World on a broken screen with the advent laptops.

Recently I put my laptop on the table and typed my password in (the screen was not damaged in any way, shape, or form) I went to get a drink whilst it loaded but when i got back there was a crack to the screen, I went back to PC World and they stated that as I didn't get the extra warrenty (which apparently covers accidental damage and manufactures one year doesn't) there was nothing they could do, as it couldnt of been the manufacture fault as I had it for 10 months.

As I said to them this is not my fault, I haven't done anything to the laptop, it just cracked when know one was near the laptop so how can it be accidental damage. PC World made it very clear that they weren't interested and they will charge me £200 for the screen to be replaced (I could get a new laptop for this price these days)

Speaking to others who have had problems with PC World laptops, once they have got you to buy the laptop they will have nothing to do with you unless you pay the cost for them to have a look at it, or get sent to the manufacture. This is an added cost which I thought came under manufacture warrenty hence why we are entitled to one?

I gave up with PC World and went to a different retailer that isn't related to PC World in any way, I have had no problems with this laptop but its less than a year old (but I did take out the extra cover paln - just in case)

Hope this gives you an idea fo the dealings I have had with PC World

Well looking at it from the retailers point of view, you've returned to them after 10 months with a laptop that has a cracked screen. Now as I said above it's very very rare for a screen to just crack on it's own, nigh on impossible. And although it's unfair the staff (myself included), tend to become a bit prejudiced against such faults after having 10+ laptops a month back with obvious drop damage and people claiming it wasn't them. Stuff like multiple impact points, cracked casing etc. So if your outside of 6 months you can be pretty much certain your going to require proof thats it's not accidental damage for us to return it.

It seems harsh, but the only people to blame for us having such a negative and doubting outlook are those who day in day out try to cheat the system and defraud the company.

though on another point i can remember being told about several issues with some screens cracking randomly.

and i know the call center has a rough guide on how to tell if its acc dam or not.

the known issues with some screens was an incall center breif only and i left long ago so i doubt i can get a hold of a copy unfortunatly

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

People may criticise PCWorld for their procedures with dealing with cracked screens within the Manufacturers waranty period. However Retailers like DELL, Apple & Comet would do exactly the same thing. A screen on a LCD TV doesnt just crack.

Unforunately Laptops are carried about & moved around continouously, therefore there is a high chance things can and will go wrong with them.

I have never had a brief regarding any particular batch of LCD's that have any problems with any Advents. Thats doesnt mean there isnt a problem, but it hasnt been brought to my attention so far.

use the intranet and search, its either cracked lcd or accidental damage you need to search for been a long time so i dont remember i left when capita took over.... god has it really been 2+ years now.

there was also one of the advents we got a brief saying some of the bezel screws had been over tightened and this caused a crack that came out from the screen rubbers

Please note:

Just to add to this, I bought an Advent laptop for my daughter and in month 11 of ownership one of the hinges gave way and she's not used it since. I should have gone and fighted for my rights but having seen the many responses I just decided to put it down to experience and never buy the brand again.

one with the two small hinges and the s shaped plate on the base case? happens to the hinges fairly regually

Please note:

• 10 months later...

HI this is what happened to me but in a slightly different way i was sitting on my bed using windows live messenger when the screen suddenly went on and off about twice. then went off. So when i switched the laptop back on the screen went dodgey(it was grey at top and streeks coming horizontal and vertical) so when i told my mom she thought that i had bumped it but i knew i didnt but she did tell me when she got it out the box there was a loot of condensation and that she thought it was just how it had been stored so she phoned up the ppl nd they sed she should have called them but i have to send the laptop in the morning to see if theyll repair it but i have a great feeling they are gnna fine my mom for a accidental repair.(100+) If u have the same problmem please reply :|

HI this is what happened to me but in a slightly different way i was sitting on my bed using windows live messenger when the screen suddenly went on and off about twice. then went off. So when i switched the laptop back on the screen went dodgey(it was grey at top and streeks coming horizontal and vertical) so when i told my mom she thought that i had bumped it but i knew i didnt but she did tell me when she got it out the box there was a loot of condensation and that she thought it was just how it had been stored so she phoned up the ppl nd they sed she should have called them but i have to send the laptop in the morning to see if theyll repair it but i have a great feeling they are gnna fine my mom for a accidental repair.(100+) If u have the same problmem please reply :-|

they cannot fine your mom for accidental damage

if its sent to pcworld then if they consider it accidental damage they will return it to yourself including a service report.

if its a known issue for the screen to crack (which it is with some laptops) then they will fix it and return it.

Please note:

Just to clarify for future reference, they almost always look for impact points when deciding wether to repair a screen.

Normaly if a screen is damaged by misuse or accident, you'd see a point of impact, a series of small cracks raidiating from a central focal point. Imagine firing a bullet through a glass window, and the cracks that travel outwards from the hole, it's a very similar concept.

If a screen is damaged through inherent fault then their would normaly just be a crack with no smaller radiating cracks, or a crack coming away from a hinge or stress point in the case of faulty hinges or mismoulded casing, a common one is where the inner supports for the screen are mismoulded causing the screen to be stressed from the back.

not always though if if the laptop screen is twisted from the side it can result in a single line crack

sorry to burst the bubble but ive accidently done this to a laptop before (not mine and i did replace the screen) so i can state it happens

Please note:

• 1 month later...
HI this is what happened to me but in a slightly different way i was sitting on my bed using windows live messenger when the screen suddenly went on and off about twice. then went off. So when i switched the laptop back on the screen went dodgey(it was grey at top and streeks coming horizontal and vertical) so when i told my mom she thought that i had bumped it but i knew i didnt but she did tell me when she got it out the box there was a loot of condensation and that she thought it was just how it had been stored so she phoned up the ppl nd they sed she should have called them but i have to send the laptop in the morning to see if theyll repair it but i have a great feeling they are gnna fine my mom for a accidental repair.(100+) If u have the same problmem please reply :-|

If its not physically damaged then from what you have put sounds like the graphics chip may of over heated. You should avoid using a laptop on a bed as a quilt will block ventilation holes that cause chips to literally cook themselves to death.