Money Managers? who are they ?

benjee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My better half has been getting calls on his homephone at theirs for an 'ex' relating to debt from a company called Money Managers.

We have on several times tried requesting a UK contact number and to speak to a senior manager and also informing them that the said person does not live here, never has and is in no way connected to the owner of the land line but each time it falls on deaf ears and they call a few days later.

We have tried searching on google, and informing BT & the Police but they say that as it is an international call (00000000 on phone display) there is nothng they can do and the TPA (telephone preference agency) also cannot stop the calls. We have no idea who the debt is with, and why they are calling here when the landline has never been in the other persons name.

Can someone please help or have any contact details for this company so we can put an end to calls at unearthly hours, lack of sleep and basic frustration that they do not listen to a thing we are telling them ???

AAARGGHHHHH!! :mad:

In Insurance, thinking "It wont happen to me" could mean you dont have the cover you want at a time when you want it! - Dont always reject a Courtesy Car or Legal because you find the cost too much! Whats more valuable? YOU or the Policy Premium?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please add to my reputation if my reply was informative to you. (click the scales);) Replies offered by me are not linked to anyone, and is from my own personal experience.:grin:

In the absence of any contact information, the only thing that I can think of is just hang up as soon as you know who it is.

Don't get involved in any conversation with them. Just hang up.

Just remember that it is their phone bill that is suffering by it, not yours.

If they really want to contact you then let them write to you. You will, at least, then have an address to write to.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

My first post here, but I've been a spectator making use of the excellent advice on here for a while.

I've been subject to constant calls from this crowd recently and it's got to the stage where I'm seriously considering changing my 'phone number. The 'hang up when they call' idea really isn't an option - the calls come daily and when you have a busy household (4 kids, 3 of them teenagers and 3 jobs between two parents) it can drive you to distraction. No matter how often I tell them not to call, they keep calling. Until recently I haven't been able to get any information about them. After deciding on a new approach (more on that in a minute) I decided to Google the name for the umpteenth time and actually got a result (got nothing before).

Below is a quote from a company called Money Managers, who claim they're nothing to do with the setup of the same name that the calls are coming from.....

Money Managers

"Money Managers have received a number of phone calls concerning a company purporting to be MONEY MANAGERS cold calling people. They seem to be based from a call centre in Asia. This is a [problem] operation and is nothing to do with ourselves. As stated above we are fully regulated by the UK authorities and do not engage in such practices.

Although we have not been able to track down this [problem] operation there are a number of things we do know. They leave you a telephone number which is an 02 something number. This number never connects to an actual telephone number. These people can be quite threatening and intimidating. Do not give them any details and especially not any credit/debit card details or bank details. If you are at all concerned we welcome you to contact the office of fair trading to verify that we are a UK based company established for many years and are fully licensed and regulated. You are welcome to call us if you wish to discuss this, and we can only apologise that you have been troubled by such a company. It is unfortunate that we live in a world where such things happen."

... for now I'm willing to give them the benifit of the doubt but if I can't find any info on the 'other' Money Managers' I may well send them an SAR just to be sure. It'll be worth a tenner if it gets me closer to stopping these calls.

In the meantime I have another plan. They called again yesterday, while I was watching Wales murder Scotland at Rugby :( I said I was busy and asked them to call back in an hour. I'd toyed with the idea of repeating the request every time they call until they got fed up - but they didn't call back. Then I decided I'm going to play along and ask for their services - VERY carefully and without, of course, giving them one shred of personal information. They have my second name (although they haven't quite got that right), my 'phone number and nothing else.

I'm hoping if I go along with them a bit I can find out at least whether they're a genuine company or a [problem] to get bank details. If it's the former, I should be able to get them to part with some company information. If I can't get any information from them without giving some of my own details - then it's obviously a [problem]. In that case I'll keep a very loud whistle by the 'phone until I've changed my number - which may be my only option.

I'll let you know here how I get on - if any one else is being hassled by these calls maybe they have other ideas about how to deal with it?

I have had calls from 00000000 just lately also - thought my phone display had died at first! Haven't answered any of them yet.

On the website whocallsme there are some interesting comments. It would appear that if you are not who they are looking for, then they just ask for the homeowner. Lots of people are concerned that that it is an identity fraud [problem] - they pretend to want to help you with your debts, then take all your details and bobs your uncle. Allegedly.

Frustrating not knowing how to stop the calls - I am ex-directory and TPS, so maybe they just generate the numbers on a computer program.

Hope you get somewhere fudged - it would be good to know the real story!

Six Nations Champions 2009

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

:cool::-D:cool:

You can get your telephone provider to block incoming international calls. I'm not sure how you go about it tho' (I'm not with a national 'phone company).

I wonder if that would work with a 0000 0000 number? Not an option for me anyway though - I have siblings abroad and we call back and forth quite a lot.

Well, I finally made some headway on this one. Not a [problem] (other than the usual offer to reduce your monthly payments by simply putting you in more debt for longer) just, it would seem, a terrible company employed as cold-callers to provide leads for a UK company - OneDebt.

After a couple of aborted calls from 'Money Managers' (their line was so bad I couldn't hear them) I finally got a chance to pretend I was interested. Felt sorry for the poor lass on the other end - she had clearly just started and was being prompted at every turn by a woman next to her, who took over the call when she thought there might be an actual lead.

After a few 'simple questions' I was put through to a UK based sales person.

I made up a load of twaddle about mounting loans and such. He offered to halve monthly payments for a £30/month fee and a £50 registration fee, and the form's in the post. I also told the guy I spoke to that if they didn't make sure 'Money Managers' stopped calling, said forms would find their way to the bin and his employers would get the telephone harassment complaint. Thought it was worth a try.

The form won't go in the bin of course, neither will it ever find its way back to OneDebt. But, if it ever arrives, I'll keep it for future reference. OneDebt aren't registered with Companies House, as far as I can see.

'Money Managers' seem to have a new angle too - now it's a "Government-Backed Programme" to get people out of debt! I'll be wording a letter to those in charge at OneDebt, and to BT, OFTEL etc about all this - at least we have somewhere to point fingers at last. The letter to OneDebt will mostly be about what a pathetic cold-calling company they're paying. Money Managers - or whatever the actual company is called, are, of course, off-shore and can't be touched I suppose.

I put a link in here but it turned into an ad for them - sorry. I'm sure anynoe interested enough can choose a search engine :)

0800 408 05 01

OneDebt

The Old School

Loughborough Road

Leicester

LE4 5PJ

[email protected]

• 1 month later...

Hello all... :)

Sorry to bump an old (ish) thread, but I only just found this thread by checking our backlinks. I'm the owner of the company EDIT and I can categorically confirm that the people doing this are nothing to do with us.

The fine people in this forum have already found out who really are making these calls, as noted in the post above this one.

In fact it has been awful for us as we have been getting over 10 calls a day from people googling our company name and phoning us to shout at me! The calls have stopped now as I think they are now using a different name when they cold call people. It's a really cheeky strategy..... They use our name for complaints, and send any leads to their own company. Anyways, I just wanted to set the record straight here, although I know someone who has already posted what I put on our privacy policy of our website.

The OFT have a file on this but they have been toothless. They told me there is nothing they can do, which seriously makes me wonder what I pay my license for if other debt management compnaies can do whatever they like!

The TPS have a big flle on these guys, and I honestly think they are the best place to go to if anyone wished to complain. At least they seem to be the only people who seem willing to act. I have provided them with as much info as I can.

If anybody wishes to discuss this with me, you can contact us anytime you like. Thanks. Harvey.

Edited by saintly_1
commercial links removed

Hello all... :)

Sorry to bump an old (ish) thread, but I only just found this thread by checking our backlinks. I'm the owner of the company EDIT and I can categorically confirm that the people doing this are nothing to do with us.

The fine people in this forum have already found out who really are making these calls, as noted in the post above this one.

In fact it has been awful for us as we have been getting over 10 calls a day from people googling our company name and phoning us to shout at me! The calls have stopped now as I think they are now using a different name when they cold call people. It's a really cheeky strategy..... They use our name for complaints, and send any leads to their own company. Anyways, I just wanted to set the record straight here, although I know someone who has already posted what I put on our privacy policy of our website.

The OFT have a file on this but they have been toothless. They told me there is nothing they can do, which seriously makes me wonder what I pay my license for if other debt management compnaies can do whatever they like!

The TPS have a big flle on these guys, and I honestly think they are the best place to go to if anyone wished to complain. At least they seem to be the only people who seem willing to act. I have provided them with as much info as I can.

If anybody wishes to discuss this with me, you can contact us anytime you like. Thanks. Harvey.

Bumping this up.

Edited by saintly_1
quoted a post that has been edited

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

I liked this from their 'About Us' page:

As a company we believe in trying to do some good in our local community. This is why we are not open on Friday mornings. Money Managers work at a local cente for the homeless and disadvantaged every Friday morning between 8 am and 12 pm. Hence, on Fridays we are not open until 1230 pm. We are there to help out and do whatever is needed by the charity. Whether it's making tea, washing up, or just being a friendly face to greet the clients, we are there every Friday. We hope that you support us in this effort and understand why we are not able to speak to you at that time
People who work for the homeless and disadvantaged get a big thumbs up from me :)

And Harvey's post isn't an ad, it's just setting the record straight. Nice one. :)

Hello Sosumi!

I'd still urge caution, as the above is a Commercial Link and the CAG ID one that alludes to a Commercial Service.

For example, I'm only here because the CAG ID stood out like a sore thumb within the Active Members List.

I regret that I think the link should be removed and the CAG ID re-named to avoid vulnerable people making Contact via PM.

It's still a Company making money from people in Debt.

Cheers,

BRW

Hello Sosumi!

I'd still urge caution, as the above is a Commercial Link and the CAG ID one that alludes to a Commercial Service.

For example, I'm only here because the CAG ID stood out like a sore thumb within the Active Members List.

I regret that I think the link should be removed and the CAG ID re-named to avoid vulnerable people making Contact via PM.

It's still a Company making money from people in Debt.

Cheers,

BRW

Thanks BRW, CAGBOT sorted it out. :D xx

Money managers are not the only ones to fall victim to this - these offshore cold callers claim to be lots of different companies I have spoken to another company after getting similar calls and their web site clearly states that they do not cold call and they gave me their offcom complaint number so I could add my details

If you can keep you head when all of those around you are losing theirs try parking your helicopter somewhere else

The PPI Saga

i think one debt...or whoever ypur details are passed to in the uk should be brought to task on this. it is against the marketing policy/oft guidelines for debt advice companies to cold call consumers for debt adjustment products. is in the last set of guidelines i think, in my opinion they are contracting the offshore company to do their telemarketing? could be a way of getting somewhere with it??

Hello again.... yes I see the links I posted have been removed.

I guess those are the rules, and I broke them, although I would say that it is a grey area to some degree. However I fully abide by the decision of the owners of this site.

I genuinely did post 2 links to my site, so that anyone who googles my company and complaints about these horrible cold callers can see an honest response, and can contact us for more information, if they wish to complain.

I have been dealing with the OFT and the TPS over this issue and would welcome anyone affected to contact me so I can pass them to the relevant departments with the relevant case numbers.

In no way was I advertising or soliciting for services (or would I). I was responding to a thread started about my company by CAG members, and I provided 2 links to my company so anyone searching us in relation to fraud and harrasment from these [problematic] would be able to contact us and be forwarded to the powers that be so that these people can be shut down once a sufficient case has been built. I think it is reasonable to provide a link to my company in those circumstances, given that it clearly is NOT for commercial purposes, and in fact is for the purpose of stopping fraudsters, something I would have thought CAG would encourage in this circumstance.

I also provided a link for CAG members and lurkers to the TPS (telephone preference service), who seem to be doing the most to investigate these people. They are also liasing with Trading Standards over the issue.

Given these reasonable points I would request that my 2 links to my company could stay, and also the link to the (non-commercial) TPS should also be re-instated. They were posted for non-commercial reasons, and to enable people to contact us regarding fraud so that fraudsters can be stopped.

Either way, I respect the decision of CAG, but would like anybody googling this situation and finding this thread to be able to easily find our contact details so this situation can be dealt with.

Kind regards

Harvey

Well it does, but we seem to have dropped out of the ranking for our own name for some reason. We are on page 6 or 7, and must have had some penalty from google. We are #1 in yahoo for our name.

This is exactly the reason why I would have liked this thread to be an explanation of the issuse and to provide a link to us so those affected can contact us easily. No more no less. :)

Hello Folks!

Danger Will Robinson:

What are your fees?

For business conducted over the telephone and email we charge an initial fee to arrange the plan in the first place and get you on to 0% interest and payments you can afford. The fee depends on how much debt there is and how many creditors you owe. On debt up to £10,000 it is £150. £10,000 to £20,000 it is £250. £20,000 to £50,000 it is £500. Higher levels of debt will need to be quoted on an individual basis.

We charge a £30 a month management fee. This is one of the lowest in the industry. For this fee we receive and distribute all monies to your creditors. You just need to pay one monthly payment direct to us. We deal with every letter and phone call from your creditors so that you can get on with living your life and not worrying about your debts. We provide expert advice and we resolve all issues with your creditors for you. All you need to do is forward all mail and let us know when creditors call. We do the rest each and every month. We provide ongoing financial assessments and give your creditors everything they need to help to keep you on 0% interest and reduced payments.

I'm sure these people are very nice, and who ever has used their name are less nice, but they are still a Commercial Organisation making money from people in Debt (see an example of their fees above).

Links to their Web Site and/or email Address should not be on CAG.

Likewise, the CAG User ID MONEY MANAGERS is effectively an Advertisement. I regret the Links should be deleted and the user ID changed to avoid contact being made to them via PM from people thinking because they are on CAG they are safe/authorised/legit.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Typo
  • Haha 1

I have removed the commercial link in mr ton's post as (as BRW says) it is against site rules.

We are happy to have user MONEY MANAGERS provided site rules are obeyed - no touting for business and you should make your interest known to site admin.

Hello Folks!

Danger Will Robinson:

I'm sure these people are very nice, and who ever has used their name are less nice, but they are still a Commercial Organisation making money from people in Debt (see an example of their fees above).

Likewise, the CAG User ID MONEY MANAGERS is effectively an Advertisement. I regret the Links should be deleted and the user ID changed to avoid contact being made to them via PM from people thinking because they are on CAG they are safe/authorised/legit.

Cheers,

BRW

I have removed the commercial link in mr ton's post as (as BRW says) it is against site rules.

We are happy to have user MONEY MANAGERS provided site rules are obeyed - no touting for business and you should make your interest known to site admin.

:oops: - a bit embarrassed now. Love and peace etc. Blame HRT personally - taking double dose :D

Hello Folks!

Danger Will Robinson:

Cheers,

BRW

OK guys fair enough, I said right from the beginning that I respect this forum and the decision of its admins. I think I will leave this here.

I think it's clear I was not posting for ANY commercial reason, but the site admins have made their decision clear, and I respect and abide by it.

I think anybody reading this thread understands why I posted here, and why I chose the username I did. I signed off after each post with my real name, and admins can verify that I signed up with the email address, my name at my company dot com.

Thanks Banker Rhymes for saying you are sure we are nice. We are nice! We're not some huge debt management company. We're 2 people in an office who really do try very hard to help people with their debts and save people money in the long run. Obviously there is a huge debate about the differences between free debt charity services and paid organisations. I'd honestly be happy to debate it, but again this would look like advertising, which is not my intention here. If you or anybody else wanted to start another thread, I would be happy to participate as long as admin approval was obtained beforehand.

There is one thing that I feel is reasonable to say based on a previous comment... :)

people thinking because they are on CAG they are safe/authorised/legit.

We are safe/authorised/legit. I believe it's totally fair enough that I say that here in case there is any doubt. We are licensed by the Office Of Fair Trading, License No. 583111 and registered with the Data Protection Register, No. Z9881088. We are honest decent people who without doubt go over and above what anybody else would do when it comes to helping our clients.

I totally understand, and re-iterate that I have no intention to tout for business here. I'm pretty sure you believe that, as if you didn't my account would have been deleted. Thanks for dealing with this in such a manner.

:oops: - a bit embarrassed now. Love and peace etc. Blame HRT personally - taking double dose :D

Don't worry about it. I appreciate your support and that you understood why I was posting here.

I liked this from their 'About Us' page:

People who work for the homeless and disadvantaged get a big thumbs up from me :)

And Harvey's post isn't an ad, it's just setting the record straight. Nice one. :)

You were right in the first instance, but site rules are site rules. :)

Kind regards to all CAG members and admins.

It's been an interesting dialogue. I wish you all the very best.

Regards

Harvey