money taken from benefits

paulson1985
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6594 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There are no speaicl rules to protet against it. A scandal.

However the rules fro getting it back are just the same - and if you get a judgment, the publicity will be even more humiliating for the Bank - so you should go ahead.

Post in the correct section for your bank

Yes they helped themselves to my child tax credits and child benefit leaving only £11 left for the week

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

i hope you are gouing to claim this money back. i amsure it is wrong for them to do this.

the banks and the goverment forced us all to have our benefits payed into the banks. at the time they promised that this would not happen.

as i have stated elsewhere on this site when my children were all young and margaret thatcher was in power hundreds were forced onto the dole at that time our benefits child benefit and jsa was payed directly at the post office nobody could touch it if this had happened to me we would have starved.

i beleive something should be done to stop this it is totaly wrong not to mention immoral

at least dick turpin wore a mask on his black horse.

I am particularly interested in this issue from a campaigning standpoint. If this has happened to anybody please could they pm me with the following information:

1) Name of bank

2) Amount and type of benefits credited

3) Amount taken by the bank in charges

4) Amount this left you to live on and over what period of time.

You need not give me any personal details but it is likely that examples (without any identifying data) will be used in approaches to MPs.

Thanks

I worked on this in a past job, banks cannot take monies without a valid CCJ again a person,, then the person must give the court a valid declaration of incomes and outgoings the judge will then award payment if any to the bank based on the judgement..

Sorry, you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick. The issue here is about benefits payments being made into bank accounts and then being absorbed by unlawful penalty charges applied to the accounts.

People are having their benefits swallowed up by the banks in unlawful charges.

i am now in the same kind of predicament with my bank. after waiting nearly 3 months I.R have decided to tell us that our w.t.c and c.t.c claim never reached them and my family have been living on £80 a week and £100 a month child benefit. my account is now owing £100 overdraft and £500 in charges this is since 25th november last year i have contacted the bank with a letter and got a reply saying they would look into it, i then contacted them by phone and they decided to close my account and i pay off £100 a month starting next month, which will of course hopefully come from the tax credits if they decide to backdate them! will be reading up now to word the next letter asking them for my money back!

i am now in the same kind of predicament with my bank. after waiting nearly 3 months I.R have decided to tell us that our w.t.c and c.t.c claim never reached them and my family have been living on £80 a week and £100 a month child benefit. my account is now owing £100 overdraft and £500 in charges this is since 25th november last year i have contacted the bank with a letter and got a reply saying they would look into it, i then contacted them by phone and they decided to close my account and i pay off £100 a month starting next month, which will of course hopefully come from the tax credits if they decide to backdate them! will be reading up now to word the next letter asking them for my money back!

Good, run the claim in the correct forum, please.

I am particularly interested in this issue from a campaigning standpoint. If this has happened to anybody please could they pm me with the following information:

1) Name of bank

You need not give me any personal details but it is likely that examples (without any identifying data) will be used in approaches to MPs.

Thanks

hi my daughter ( single mum of 3 ) was charge £30 by ulster bank for a 2p overdrawn account , this all came out of her benifits off course . i have asked to take a look at this site , but i know she will just accept it

1) Name of bank

Thanks

Hi

I have had most of my benefits taken from me left us with 1-50p one week we couldn't even get it out of the bank

Income Support and Child Tax Credit

Lloyds TSB

IS £56-20 CTC £42-98

they paid supposedly paid the direct debits 2 days before they should been before IS & CTC went in the bank then charged me for returning them £35 for each one and £25 for going overdrawn how could I have gone overdrawn if they didn't even pay the items

S***s

Freya

It's bad enough when it is taken out of your wages, leaving you in a position of being unable to pay your bills and (probably) incurring further penalty charges for late payments to your creditors, but when it's taken from benefits it is disgraceful, and I'm fairly sure it is illegal.

The last time I read a benefit form it said something about "this is the (minimum? ) amount the law says you need to live on." If that is the case, the bank have no legal right to take the money (of course we know they don't anyway given that their charges are illegal)

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6594 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks