• Tweets

• Better version attached with the late appeal explained more clearly for the judge. This will sound silly, but I think it would be a good idea to e-mail it to the court and UKPC on Sunday.  It's probably me being daft, but Sunday is still March, and as it's late, sending it in March rather than April will make it sound like it was less late than it really is.  if you get my drift. You can still pop in a paper version on Tuesday if you want. E-mail address for the court: [email protected] And for UKPC: [email protected]   [email protected] Defendant WS.pdf
    • Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA Interest Rate 34.9% - how did it get this high?

Sunshine54
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took out an MBNA credit card about 14 months ago with an interest free period (no balance transfer) of about 6 months I think then the interest rate was (I need to check) around 14% thereafter. I have maintained all my payments of the minimum balance until February and wrote to them advising I have financial difficulties and am preparing income/expenditure etc. They wrote back refusing the freeze interest and advising that the current rate is 34.9% - how did it get so high?

is there anything I can do? I am going to send for a copy of the agreement but it's such a ridiculous rate that I know absolutely that I wouldn't have signed up to that.

thanks in advance for assistance/advice

=================================================================

remember

the Sun is always shining, it's just that you can't see it sometimes

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually I suppose I may have signed up to that if it was hidden somewhere in the small print

remember

Have they reduced your credit limited as well?

MBNA will have noted you have been making only minimum payments each month.

You MAY have been identified as high risk (by them) and so they increased the interest they charge you to ensure that they get as much money back from you as possible before you default. Was coverage in the newspapers few months back about them increasing their APR's.

Don't delay and hurry up and get your personal expenditure form back to them asap.

I have had my interest and charges frozen with MBNA since 2006.

They don't normally tell you this, but, in my experience they will accept monthly repayments equating to 1% of the outstanding debt and freeze the interest etc. You will, however, need to state a valid reason for the DMP such as ill health, job loss, divorce etc....but am sure you know this already.

Given that the Bank of England has reduced the base rate to 1% then charging almost 35% is totally extortionate!! :mad:

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

thanks very much. I have been away for a week so just catching up with my multiple financial issues. I will get the info to them asap

regards

remember

I have an ABBEY C/C also charging 34.9% even though they told me today that the monthly charge was 2.529% which multiplied by 12 = 30.348% to explain. I also have a MBNA card (same company as Abbey) where they are charging 34.9%. I believe that both agreements may be unenforceable and I am trying to prove this through a legal chappie. Let me know what you are doing..........................

hi I'm going to have to do more research on the order in which to tackle these things.

I have written to all my creditors advising of my financial difficulties and that I am producing income/expenditure details and will contact them(will have to send that off very quickly)

I have one Court Case pending from Egg (subject of a different thread) II have written to the Solicitors on this asking for the agreement and inf.

I have written to Barclays and Egg asking for copies of the agreements

I have written to Barclays and Egg requesting all the info on my accounts

MBNA refused to freeze interest and charges so I guess that I now have to go down the same route with them although I doubt there will be anything wrong with the agreement as it was only taken out at the end of 2007.

I am going to investigate the PPI element of the Egg and Barclays agreements to see whether any of them are 'dodgy'

I have a concern that I may go around in circles on this repeating stuff or missing something so I need to understand the chronological order in which I should best be tackling this. - if anyone could help or point me to other areas of the site for advice it would be much appreciated

many thanks to anyone/everyone :)

remember

there must be a solicitor somewhere who knows about CCAs. They could make fortunes. I cannot believe that MBNA and others can get away with thise interest rate charge. I have spoken to one who is going to look into the enforceability of CCAs but I don't have much confidence.

• 5 months later...

good evening

it's been a while since I posted on this thread. The past months have seen various letters going back and forth between myself and MBNA.

I received the threat that they know I'm a homeowner and they will seek a charging order, I've had offers of an almost 50% reduction if I could pay the balance in full and an option of a 5 year plan with frozen interest and removal of charges if I pay off the full amount in that period, whilst within the period that I had to consider this offer I had threats of legal action, and requests to call to agree a repayment plan. finally today (still within the timescale for me to consider the offer of repayment/reduced balance) I got a letter advising that they will write the debt off at the end of this month if I don't contact them to agree payment.

They also say that the write off will not however stop recovery actions including recovering the balance from the equity in my home by way of a sale or re-mortgage.

Can they still chase me for recovery of the debt if they write it off? I suppose the answer is yes but it seems a funny thing to tell me

remember

hi Sunshine, sounds very similar to what happened to me. Interest rate hike, charging order etc and then informing me they were writing the debt off. Next thing I heard was from Link saying they'd bought the debt from MBNA. Don't want to worry you but perhaps its best to be prepared that they probably will sell the debt on.

hi M

I forgot to add that they also wrote a couple of weeks ago saying that they would sell the debt at the end of the month.

I've learned so much about the tactics of the financial istitutions and solicitors over the past few months and it's really quite sad. I never would have believed the underhand and bullying behaviour if I hadn't read so very many accounts on here and then been on the receiving end myself.

I'm going to fight though - can't make it easy for them

thanks for your input

remember

• 4 weeks later...

hello again

having heard nothing from MBNA since my last post I today received a Default Notice.

They appear to have given adequate time for me to remedy the default so now I'm going to do some more research and see what the next action is from them.

remember

Sunshine i'm in excatly the same position as you with mbna,have a look at my thread. My interest also spiralled out of control with them ,at one stage they were offering me a 25k credit limit !!

No responsibility from them whatsoever,the monthly payment on that would have been £750 a month !! at 34% interest.

Nothing but a degenerate financial institution in my eyes.

I'm now waiting for their next step but since i put the account into dispute they've quietly racked up another 1.2k in interest and charges.I now have a cca from them but it doesn't look valid,be interested to see what happens with yours as we're both at the same stage of proceedings.

good luck mate and don't let em grind you down,not easy but this place is an oasis of calm and helps.

p.s note your egg problems,i'm going through similar with them as well,have you posted the info on here ?

hi Blue

I've got a looooong thread on Egg and it's with the court and I have to have my defence in next week.

MBNA have offered every option possible but I haven't been in the position to take them up on any so got to fight this.

They've been adding over £300 per month interest plus 2 x £12 charges for late payment and default! it's a licence to print money!

good luck with your fight

S

remember

Sunshine - is your MBNA default notice dated 7 September and does it demand repayment of the full outstanding balance rather than the arrears? If so, there are a number of recent threads on the Debt Collection Industry forum that will be of interest e.g.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/219376-mbna-say-defaulted-me.html

Regards

C

evening

I've just checked the DN and it does indeed ask for the full amount. I'll read the threads but is it right for them to do that? doesn't that mean that I can't actually remedy the default and continue with the agreement?

thanks lots for the support and advice

S

remember

sunshine - yes, seems to be the opinion. Also UKMail S also apparently counts as second class mail, so have to allow 4 working days for delivery. They seem to have sent out a batch of DNs this week so we probably need to let them start terminating without our making a fuss with them over it.:)

C

Hi Sunshine,

If they have asked for the full amount owed in the default notice as oppose to the arrears then it is tantamount to an unlawful termination of agreement..

Or has someone already said that...?

Sorry if I'm repeating what you already know.

Spam. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

hi Spam

you can repeat that as often as you like ;)

that is exactly what they have done

thanks

S

remember

Theres a few more of us in this weeks bulk mailing from MBNA

Vint and Cerb have been very helpful and it may be worth subbing to a couple of other threads.

This one below makes interesting reading:

MBNA - say defaulted me but send a default notice???

Mines 26k so me thinks I'm gonna be shafted at some stage but .....tis only money - I'll still wake up in the morning (god willing), I'll still have a roof over my head, I'll still have a hot meal in my belly oh and ........a couple of bottles of Wolf Blass on offer at T**** at 3 quid a bottle :D

Gez

hi Gez, well that's exactly the right attitude. I think MBNA will regret sending out those letters.

enjoy your Wolf Blass and I'm off to put the kettle on for a cuppa :D

remember