• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Starting With AMEX/Newman (Feb09)

fredleped
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3917 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi' I'm new on here so take it easy on me!

I have read load of threads on here but find it a bit confusing with so many acronyms going on.

I took out an Amex card back in 2002 and had been perfectly happy until Nov 2007, when I went to use my card in a shop and it was refused! I phoned Amex and was told my credit limit had been cut and I was now over my limit. As you can imagine I was thrilled by this.

I decided to not use it any more and starting paying what I could of the balance each month. Unfortunately I like a lot of people have been affected by the credit crunch and have my overtime cut significantly, this had lead to me only being able to pay pretty much the minimum amount each month.

Unfortunately I missed the payment in November and December, When I logged onto Amex to see how much I need to pay in January I noticed my card was canceled.

Two days later I had a phone call from some one at a Debt collection Agency (DCA?) Newman & Co, for some reason Amex had given them my old address, I explained that was my old address and gave them my new one (I moved over three years ago so don't now what they were doing) . I believe from reading a good few threads on here that a number of people have Delta with these friendly and pleasant chaps (who have added nearly £700 collection fee).

I have now changed from someone who wanted to pay AM EX back to someone who would rather burn all my money in front of them than give them another penny. They have made no effort to contact me and gave me no notice as to canceling my card or asking for all the balance back in one go, they simple passed the debt on to a bunch of rude bloody minded asses who wasted no time in sending me threatening letters the moment they had my address.

Reading on the threads here I think I should go down the route of "is my credit agreement legitimate". But, I'm not sure this is correct. Does any one have a succinct process of following this route. I would like a list of what to do as I've read so much on her I've got a bit lost.

I have however gleaned a few tips on how to do things. So I have drafted a letter to Amex Telling them I can't afford to pay so will they take Installments and stop adding charges and Interest. I will also send this on to Newman's.

If any one has advice for me it will be greatly received and I can give more details if needed.

What I could do with is the postal address of Amex UK.

Hi

Is you amex card a charge card or a credit card.

Newmans are complete wasters, a colleaugue was dealing withe them they are all mouth and trousers.

There are different rules governing credit and charge cards.

If it is a charge card i have had the same happen.

You must CCA amex for all accounts, see what they come back with.

Post on here then we we have a look.

You also might have the alleged debt moved from newmans to another DCA this has also happened.

Amex seem to be crapping from a great height on all thier so called customers,perhaps with a bit of luck they are in the sticky stuff as well.

Hi

Thats good because that means that the ccact applies.

You must CCA them template on this site, £1 postal order make sure its crossed, and send letter by recorded delivery.

Chances are it might not be enforcable.

Dont speak to newmans only communicate in writing.

Be carefull with newmans they will play good policeman bad policeman dont give them anything.

I have a reply now and guess what, Newman's have sent what they have called my signed application, agreement and terms and conditions.

They are indeed correct my application form is signed, and they have also included a copy of my (or at least someones) agreement and terms and conditions, these of course are unsigned and and have no names on!

I assume I now need to send another letter ?

I have also noticed in the ten days since there last letter they have added another £200.

Hi Buddy

They are comedians they should be on telly.

If they have sent you this and it does not contain all the prescribed terms and conditions then it is un enforceable.

It would be a good idea to post what they have sent you on the site, with the photobucket so we can check out what they have sent you. This would be good as it will help you and all of us who are currently dealing with the idiots.

What i would do next is send them a Subject Access letter, this will cost £10 postal order of course they will then have to send you everything they have on you, including all telephone conversations, any manual intervention ect ect.

You will then have all the ammunition to inform them ( if in fact is the case) that thier agreement is un enforceable and baically bye bye and i will see you in court.

It might be at this juncture they will pass this onto another DCA which has happened to other people.

Just remember never speak to them on the phone these **** play good cop bad cop everything in writing.

Does your application/agreement look anything like what they sent to me? (post #10) - at the moment they are actually planning on going in to a Court room with those as their legally binding contract evidence. :)

I opened mine a few years before you so they might be different.

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

Hi Fredleped,

I'll look forward to seeing what they sent you. I got sent an application form with some terms and conditions photocopied on the back as though they were originally on the back of the agreement, which was actually an application form. Everyone else here appears to have been sent separate terms and conditions, and if they are not actually "within the four corners of the agreement" (which can mean overleaf) the agreement isn't enforceable.

DD

Hello Fredleped!

It's not just the start of the alleged Agreement they have to get right, if they cock-up the ending of it, then that is almost as bad as not having an Agreement.

Read this Thread:

A Tale of a Dodgy DN

Get a SAR off to Amex ASAP, ask for everything, but don't specifically ask for the Default Notice. See what they send.

Then turn your house upside down to see if you have a copy of what they sent. If they have cocked-up the Default Notice, then you are already starting to win against them. Add no Agreement to that, and Amex can hiss and spit as much as they like, but they will be pretty stuffed.

Fortunately, Amex are particularly good at stuffing themselves. Not that their attitude would give you that impression. For a bunch of Imported Cowboys you just have to wonder how they get by when all they can shoot and hit is their own foot.

Cheers,

BRW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Fredleped!

I would send them a SAR straight away, along with the £10 fee...do it Tomorrow, send via Special Delivery, and ask them for everything without being specific about anything in particular.

Send it to The Company Secretary at their Registered Office in London, that way they cannot deny getting it, as that is their primary address for the Service of Documents. Brighton is just an office with a Sea View, it has no official relevance as an Address.

Sit back, and wait for a big package to arrive. When it does, dive in and find that Default Notice. While you are waiting, turn your house upside down to see if you can find the one they did send you...you may not have realised what it was at the time.

Then come back here and tell us all about it.

In the mean time, keep Newmans at arms length with No Harassment and No Visitors Letters.

Cheers,

BRW

Hi I sent the SAR about two weeks ago recorded delivery so I'm just waiting for the parcel !

As for Newmans well today they route to me and informed me that as my house value was well over my outstanding mortgage value they will contact there solicitors and could recommend a bankruptcy, OOH get them.

I can say for certain they never sent a default notice to me. The first I knew of any problems was when my account was canceled (I found out by checking my account on-line) and Newman's phoned demanding money!

As for Newmans well today they route to me and informed me that as my house value was well over my outstanding mortgage value they will contact there solicitors and could recommend a bankruptcy, OOH get them.

Could you scan and post the content of that letter please?

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

NEWMAN

Debt Collection Agents

Limewood House, Limewood Way, Leeds LS14 lAB Fax: 0845 330 4801

e-mail: enquiries@newman-dca.com

RE: Fred Le Ped

FOR: American Express Services Europe Ltd

Ale No.:

Amount Due: £

Dear Sir/Madam,

We write with reference to the above account and note your lack of contact.

Please note that your file has now progressed Pre-Iegally and so will be dealt with accordingly. As a result and as instructed by our client's solicitors in preparation for legal proceedings, we have made investigations via your Experian credit file and the Land Re';'istry Office.

We understand that your current mortgage balance stands in the region of £XXXXXXXX since your original purchase on 8th June 2006 for £XXXXXXXX Eased on the £XXXXXXX variance and nearly three years market value increase (and we believe there would still be an increase in value despite the current climate), you have substantial equity available. .

Despite your unwillingness to deal with this matter, in a final attempt to resolve this matter amicably, we would be able to accept £xxxxxx in final settlement by 28th March 2009. This would then discharge your debt with American Express.

if it is that we do not receive your contact and payment by the aforementioned date, the above information relating to your assets will be passed to our solicitors (Copes - please refer to our previous letter) with the advice that there is substantial equity available to you. As such, our recommendation will be a Statutory Demand for Bankruptcy and as a result, a Charging Order against your property thus putting it at risk.

We await your prompt response to discuss the above or an alternative way forward.

Yours faithfully NEWMAN & COMPANY

Mr PRimmer

csa"

·U.. ~~ Lt.-

- ~ - Credit Services Association

INVESTOR IN PEOPLE , .,

FS 31490

AMERICAN COLLECTORS

association member

This office is open:-

8.00am to 8.00pm - Monday To Thursday 8.00am to 6.00pm - Friday

8.00am to 12.00pm - Saturday

Tel: 0845 605 4202

International

Tel: 0044 113 306 0660 Fax: 0044 113 306 0661

* InkassobOro * Cabinet de Recouvrement

* Agencia de Recobro * Azienda di Recupero Crediti

Consumer Credit Licence No.324024 Newman & Company Ltd. Registered N6.2641622

Calls are recorded for training and quality purposes.

Oh, Mr P Rimmer - do give him my regards. He's the one I "dealt" with.

As for their letter, have a read of the OFT's debt collection guidelines here http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf and see how many they have broken and send a letter of complaint to the OFT enclosing a copy of their's.

Also, make sure you ask for a copy of Newman's complaints procedure when you next write to them. A nice colourful flowchart made in Visio or perhaps excel. Mine was version 1.0. I think they made it up for me. I wonder what version they're up to now! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to not keep you up to date, but I have been flat out at work so unable to dedicate much time to this at the moment. Any way my SAR pack arrived from Amex today. Guess what hundreds of statements but no application letter, no credit agreement and no default letters or cancellation notice. They do however keep a record of how many time they have called me and that I'm no longer at the address they keep contacting as the person who lives there keeps returning their mail telling them I don't live there. They have my new address but keep forgetting to confirm it with me ?

They finally confirm my address and then promptly send a letter to my old address and then wonder why it has come back as not at this address !

The question is with no cancellation or default letters what should I do next ?

• 3 months later...

I have not heard from either Newmans or Amex since they sent me copy of there complaints procedure. I have in formed them that I will continue to pay Amex £100 per month and that is all I can afford, there was no reply to this letter but there have also been no more comedy letters either.

The complaints procedure is still 1.0 may 2007.