Help please on council tax, housing benefit, and job seekers allowance

craig41
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5549 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

This is my first thread, and i am hoping you will be able to give me the much needed information i need.

I am and have been out of work for around 12 mths, and have been claiming JSA, which i believe is now income based. Although i have owned my property outright, i have also been able to claim help towards my council tax.

I have now accepted an offer on my property, which should be finalised within the next 3 weeks. After paying my debts off, i am hoping to clear £45000.00.My short term plan is to move to privatly rented property, for 12 months, and then hopefully purchase again.Therefore a large portion of the estimated £45000 i would like to keep towards a large deposit.

I would like to know if i.

1) Will still be able to claim JSA until i return to work(currently aprox £126 every other week)

2)Will i still get assistance with council tax, and if so at what level.

3) Will i be entitled to any financial help towards my rent.

Thanking you in anticipation

Craig

I'm afraid not as the income from the sale of your home would be considered as available capital and it is over and above the limit for capital in each claim.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

For Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit money from the sale of a former home can be disregarded for up to 26 weeks, or longer if reasonable depending on the particular circumstances if intended for the purchase of a new home-

1. any sum received from the sale of the former home which is to be used to buy a new home. The disregarded period begins on the date the sale of the former home was completed

HB Sch 6 Para 3; CTB Sch 5 Para 3

Not sure about jobseekers allowance, but best to contact the DWP for that information