• Tweets

• Have you previously requested the agreement by a CCA request ?
    • Just to clarify then, should the reason I am disputing the debt be that they have not supplied all the relevant paperwork (CCA) and the debt is therefore unenforcable?
    • https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406231-the-pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims-is-made-by-the-master-of-the-rolls-as-head-of-civil-justice-1st-oct-2017/#comment-5145126  
    • Quick update. I've now recieved a letter before action from them with a PAP form to return enclosed, still no credit agreement however. I assume just a case of following the PAP thread and returning form with no CCA as the reason?
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Obviously we totally disagree with their decision.  Their remortgaging could only have gone wrong if they had ended up with a CCJ.  And how do you get a CCJ?  If you lose in court and then defy the court and don't pay.  Even if you lose in court, you don't get a CCJ as long as you pay within the 30 days ordered by the court.  Even had they lost in court the judge would have disallowed the interest and the £70 Unicorn Food Tax that PE made up.  There was no advantage whatsoever for giving in and paying now. But thanks to you for letting us know - a hell of a lot of users don't.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Is this Amex application enforeceable

Elgrand
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Elgrand,

What do you think? I need to read through your entire thread again and can't do that tonight but will over the weekend.

The only thing I would say is that they come in heavy and say they have instructions to proceed but then further down they say ignoring the letter MAY lead to legal proceedings.

I'm going to pm you about something too a bit later. You too Shadow!!

DD

Interesting! I've just received the 'discount' Settlement Offer letter from the good lady of Brighton so I'm guessing I'll be hearing from Brachers by Easter!

My hunch is that Brachers are involved so Amex may chance their arm on litigation. Start thinking through a defence just in case.

Just to recap then: Duff CCA, duff DN, no formal cancellation, and a DCAlink8.gif chasing the full amount?

The Amex Subject Access Requestlink8.gif response is gonads

Anybody offer a little more legal insight?

Hi DD & Smouk,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the support.

The pre action information sheet is a bit confusing! Do I need to respond to this and if so, what would be the best way to go about it?

Elg.

The letter reads pretty much like a standard DCA letter - full of 'mays' and 'thens' and the Pre-Action Information Sheet reads like Amex wrote it. I don't think there's any specific onus upon you to respond at this point.

That said, if it were me, I would write to Brachers with "Account in Dispute" etc and refer them to their client. A letter to Amex reminding them of their failings is a formality.

Just incase Amex fancy chancing court action after the recent Carey case (this shouldn't change the need for original documents to be shown but you may always get the duff judge) I would now focus the other sides attention more on the default notice. If you have this photocopy and send them a copy with a letter on the lines of.

Dear sir/madam.

It has come to my attention, through research, that it is probable that your client does not in fact possess a hard copy of the default notice served upon me and instead seeks to rely upon a computer entry as to the date that a default notice would have been produced.

It is therefore possible that your client is unaware of the defective nature of the Default Notice served upon me

In order to assist your client I therefore enclose a copy of the aforementioned default notice and ask you to study it carefully as it is clearly defective in several aspects, non of which can be regarded as de minimus. The primary defect is clearly that by stating they wanted payment 14 days from the date of the letter your client neglected to allow for time for this letter to reach me and effectively gave me xx days to remedy. Had I been given the full 14 days I could have found the sums requested wether or not these were demanded of a properly regulated agreement.

Having not been lawfully entitled, by way of this default notice to claim the benefits of s87 of the act, your client does not have a cause of action to claim sums not yet due nor to terminate the agreement lawfully. In fact your Client subsequently unlawfully repudiated the agreement, an action which i have accepted and the agreement no longer endures. .

I invite your client to study this document consider their position. I note with reference to BOS V Robert Mitchell June 2009 in which BOS were heavily criticised by the judge for their behaviour in almost identical circumstances and invite your client to alter this alleged balance to zero, clear the invalid default from my file and stop processing my data.

yours

xxx

It is wise to get your legal arguments across clearly at an early stage as at court they may say "We weren't aware the default notice was an issue"

I would also recommend spending £10 on a full data protection request for all the information they hold on you on any medium. This should show you the cards in their hand.

Thank you for your comments and advice,

I will indeed push towards the invalid DN, but it's not that, that they cannot locate. It's the Cancellation, termination notice.

They never sent me one although they have admitted that it was cancelled on said date and it shows in their comms.

I have invested in the SAR twice and not sure what other info that would provide at this stage.

Elg.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the termination notice. As far as you are concerned the default notice is infact a termination notice. All that is important is that you have acknowledged this termination and pointed out why you feel this was unlawfully repudiated the agreement.

You can hold your head high with this position and say if Amex had of asked for the arrears due and allowed 14 days it is highly likely I could have remedied this alleged breach.

There is also a follow on argument that they processed your data incorrectly and against the data protection act by registering this default.

Just read every letter you send as though it was infront of a judge and build your case with these letters.

• 1 month later...

Hi Elgrand

just wondering how you got on im in a very similar position infact

they could have just copied!! Did you take the advice and write re

invalid default notice ?

thanks

Kick Back

Edited by Kick back
spelling

just wondering how you got on im in a very similar position infact

they could have just copied!! Did you take the advice and write re

invalid default notice ?

thanks

Kick Back

Hi Kick Back,

Thank you for your PM, but please ask questions through the thread as you have above, therefore everyone can see the questions and any comments I make in reply can be seen as well.

I have not made or had any more contact from Brachers and that is a surprise as I was expecting them to pursue. Not that -that worried me at all and they may still do so.

Amex, however have just sent another settlement letter with a 10% discount improvement on their last offer.

Will respond to that in due course.

Elg.

Hi Daneilla

No havn't started a thread as my situation is exactly the same as this

same letter from Branchers too!! Amex only have application form no

t&cs on file!! invalid default and then account closed!! Been through

several DCA's now passed to Branchers same letter as above was thinking

of sending response passed on freethemice letter several posts back!

What do you think?

• 1 month later...