DTS doorstepper for Talk Talk 'debt'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5560 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I used to have an account with Talktalk(telephone & broadband)

but I left them early in 2007 because of a dispute over bill payments.

Most of the confusion arose because I would sometimes speak to an agent in South Africa sometimes in India and rarely in the UK.

As the account came to an end they began saying that I still owed £99,

but after many phone calls around the world they agreed that I owed them nothing

and sent me a letter confirming that.

On 3.12.08 I received a letter from a company called DTS Ltd informing me that legal proceedings were pending

regarding an outstanding amount of £99.,

I ignored this and was then sent another letter saying that they were going to make a doorstep visit

.I then sent the letter denying them permission to visit my home.

On Friday (30th) I received an open card which told me in large red letters that their doorstep agent

would be visiting my home on Feb' 6th between 8am-8pm.

My problem is that as the account with Talktalk ended so long ago

I have thrown out all the old correspondance.

Can anyone tell me what I should do.

First of all report them to the OFT for sending you an open card about an agent calling - it is against their rules. Secondly, they are not supposed to send anyone to your door without your permission. If someone calls, tell them to go away - they are trespassing. If they won't go, call the police.

There's a good chance no-one will turn up, the letter is intended to scare you into phoning them to make an offer of payment. DON'T phone them.

If anyone does turn up tell them to go away as you wish all communication to be in writing only. They have absolutely NO powers of entry whatsoever, they have exactly the same powers as the people who deliver pizza shop leaflets.

Thank you all for your advice,I'll get a letter off to the OFT tmorrow(recorded delivery).The thing that annoys me is the fact that I threw away the letter from Talktalk telling me that that my account was paid up.I always paid my monthly bill with cash at the bank Somewhere Talktalk must have a record of their correspondance with me,but the problem is what call centre did it originate from.

Thank you all for your advice,I'll get a letter off to the OFT tmorrow(recorded delivery).The thing that annoys me is the fact that I threw away the letter from Talktalk telling me that that my account was paid up.I always paid my monthly bill with cash at the bank Somewhere Talktalk must have a record of their correspondance with me,but the problem is what call centre did it originate from.

What you could do with Talk Talk is a Subject Access Request which costs £10. They have to supply you with all the data they hold on you which not only includes the CCA but copies of accounts and any correspondence between you. They cannot deny holding it now that they've sold the A/C because they must keep this data for 6 years. They have to supply this within 40 days.

In the meantime you can send the following letter to hold the dogs off for a while;

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

**Edit to suit**

Remember, don’t sign the letter.

• Haha 1

Somewhere Talktalk must have a record of their correspondance with me...

If you want all the details of their dealings with you then it will cost £10 to send them a Subject Access Request - which will show everything they have on file. They have to provide an accurate copy of the information they have on file, and if you can show that there is an issue, you can claim that fee back as part of your action against them.

The standard template, used for bank charges etc. is at http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html - modify this to suit and add in something to request transcripts of any telephone conversations between you and them, which should have full records of the letter they sent and any discussion that took place.

In the meantime, a short letter to the debt collection agency to tell them that you have placed the account in dispute and are awaiting information from the original creditor should get them to either return the matter to Carphone Warehouse (Talk Talk parent company) or put it on hold.

Life's never that simepl, they'll basically call you a liar and make bigger demands - but that's just their way of dealing with these things! DCA's are known for sending letters out when things don't go their way, and then pretend it was a mistake, or was actioned before they got your letter. Ignore them!

Wait for the Subject Access Request to come back, they have 40 days to comply. See what you can find in the pile of paperwork that supports your case, and take it from there.

(edit: great minds, and all that...)

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.