• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Motor Insurance Bureau

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I've been trying to get in contact with the MIB for the past two years. Every time I send my claim application it gets returned and when I tried to call them I get a message to say that this service is not available.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with them? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm claiming for damages to the vehicle. I've been sending it to the address that they have given on the website.

Motor Insurers' Bureau

Linford Wood House

6-12 Capital Drive

Linford Wood

Milton Keynes

MK14 6XT

I phoned them and got through ok. Spoke to a helpful chap who couldn`t discuss my particular case because he advised me to stick with the Solicitor. Won`t your Insurance company deal with it?

IF I HAVE BEEN ANY HELP AT ALL OR JUST MADE YOU LAUGH AT MY STUPIDITY PLEASE MARK MY PERFORMANCE!

ALSO REMEMBER TO DONATE. EVERY LITTLE HELPS AND THE FORUMS ARE FOR YOU!;)

• 2 months later...
well yes unless they have a very good explanation as to why they havent issued - the MIB are very difficult to deal with and if you dont comply with all of their requirements , they wont deal with the claim

I would like to add (as a new user to this forum) that you are having similar difficulties to myself.

I got hit by a Turkish lorry in December of 2007, and the claim was passed to the MIB in January of 2008, and has been ongoing since then!

I have to say that the MIB do indeed take thier time, and I received thier photos form the LOCUS report yesterday (after 3 months of my solicitor asking for them and the report!).

It is distressing to note that the Locus report shows a completely different accident site to where the accident actually took place, and what with the MIB dragging thier heals, with no end in sight and no offers of interim payments, I have now instructed my solicitor to issue claim against them AGAIN to try to get this sorted out.

It is also unfiar to note, that once my solicitor gets any form of headway with dealing with the MIB, they change the case/file handler who then demands upwards of 2 weeks to reveiw the case notes and files!

On a second note, if a request for an interim payment is made, does this affect the claim for lost earnings (as I have been signed off since the accident with back, neck (whiplash and soft-tissue damage) and shoulder injuries as well as difficulties with my knees since the accident!)?

I could do with SOME hope for this nightmare to finally end so that I can get on with my life and enjoy my 2 very young chilren!

• 2 weeks later...

Don`t want to entirely de motivate you but my case goes back to Nov 2004 although my wife settled in 2007.

I have seen various Consultants,had scans,xrays had counselling andam now off work. The mistake I made was trying to go back to work and relying on an understanding employer.

A couple of months ago I did get an interim payment of £3000 which is all but gone now! This will be taken off my final payment.Good luck.

IF I HAVE BEEN ANY HELP AT ALL OR JUST MADE YOU LAUGH AT MY STUPIDITY PLEASE MARK MY PERFORMANCE!

Don`t want to entirely de motivate you but my case goes back to Nov 2004 although my wife settled in 2007.

I have seen various Consultants,had scans,xrays had counselling andam now off work. The mistake I made was trying to go back to work and relying on an understanding employer.

A couple of months ago I did get an interim payment of £3000 which is all but gone now! This will be taken off my final payment.Good luck.

Thanks for replying eyeballs!

I am not too de-motivated because recently my solicitor notified the MIB to find a good solicitor to answer the claim in court, as they based their decision and underlying demands on incorrect accident site information, and my solicitor has also had enough of them delaying the claim.

We are now waiting for their reply, but court case paperwork will be issued against them within 3 weeks, regardless of what they reply.

Now that they have evidence based on the ACTUAL accident site, my solicitor states that their case does not hold any validity and once it goes before a judge (which is what they are now aiming to do) the MIB will have NO option but to accept liability in full as they have NOT received/obtained a statement form the other driver.

I'll keep you all posted...

• 1 month later...

I try not to dishearten any of you, but I am still waiting for a payout from the MIB after having been run over as I was crossing the road in 2002. As it was a hit and run, person not found but the car, which was not registered and therefore not insured, I have to rely on the MIB for any compensation. Initially they tried to tell me I would only get 50% as it was my duty when crossing the road to ensure that I would not be in danger while doing so.

Apparently they are a law onto themselves.

And NO you can not take them to court. I have had major expenses and had them since 2002, but when they finally make a payout they will not pay interest and as for legal fee, the maximum they will pay is £180 pounds, which means that I will pay my solicitor form my compensation, which is obviously much more then £180.

They have made an offer, but the first one they made was only to compensate me for my obvious financial loss.

The initial offer did not include any element for the fact that I spent 4 weeks in hospital, have undergone 10 operations, had a metal frame for 8 months, did not work for nearly 18 months and am now reliant on other people to do a lot of things I did myself, am also now permanently disfigured, had to give up all the sports I used to do, not to speak of the psychological damage.

Every time they make an offer they reduce the payout for the disadvantage on the labour market as I am getting closer to my retirement age!!

Recently it has taken them between 8 to 12 weeks to respond to a letter from my solicitor and eventually daily calls from the solicitor (The claim handler is never available, calls are not returned) before we get yet another paltry response. I don’t even want to get into the cost that this involves for me.

I have lost all my trust in getting justice for what happend to me.More than 7 years this has been going on!!! And no end in sight.

Of course I could just accept any offer they make. But it just feels wrong.

The accident ruined my life, and the MIB are doing it a second time.

Edited by babsim
Had formatting stuff init.

I'm sure you'll not need me to tell you, the MIB isn't a charity - but an organisation that is funded by the premiums of law abiding drivers who have to pay extra for their insurance cover so that percentage goes to the MIB to administer the scheme, which was forced on them by the Government (who, plainly, did not want the responsibility or financial drain of doing it themselves).

The truth remains that MIB will never be in a position to pay what is a 'fair' amount based on relaistic values - it offers a pittance, and will at least (eventually) provide something. I have paid my car insurance for 40-odd years, and a fair chunk has gone to the MIB. In the absence of the Government taking up the slack (and we know where the money for THAT comes from!)- have you any thoughts on where this funding should come from? If at least SOMETHING is paid, then the immediate problems are addressed - those other difficulties, well - that's what insurance (personal) is for, and I pay for that too. Are you suggesting this should be provided at no cost too?

Hmm see your point but I have been a motorcyclist or car driver for 32 years and paid my dues the same as you so they should compensate fairly.Bit like the NHS you pay in then when you`re ill they`re not always there.

Me too - and a special policy (in addition) to my road cover policy to cover pursuit on both my uninsured losses and the possibility of being hit by an uninsured driver (it is a self-administered trust) gives you that edge not to have to rely on MIB exclusively. I just believe if the driver takes these additional mesures to protect themselves, thety don;t have to go cap in hand for what should be rightfully theirs.

I also see the point and have been paying for more then 41 years into motor insurances (bike and car). As it happens I was a pedestrian this time. Even if I have other personal insurance, I still feel that the 'reason' for the injury should compensate for the result. And if the judges, courts, insurance companies & goverment would take a less lenient attitude to something which I regard as criminal (and is in most other european countries), like no insurance, no tax, and specifically 'hit and run' instead of treating those offences as minor, maybe the general attitude would change too.

I know through my involvement with a support group, that drivers who have through their fault caused death, being let of with fines and NO mention of the death / injuries they caused is made during the hearing. And if affected relatives want to point this out, they get threatened with 'contempt of court' actions. And other drivers involved in a hit and run with no or revoked driving licences, no insurance, mot or tax being let of with a fine for just one of the offences (never the hit and run though).

That is my gripe!

And the fact that the MIB has been stalling from the word go, will pay no interest on the past financial losses, but deduct it from any losses for the future because they are paying a lump sum.

--

There are of course schemes for criminal injuries. But they always explicitely exclude victims of road traffic incidents from any rights never mind financial compensation.

I suppose I am very lucky, in that the MIB have now been informed by my solicitor that they should be prepared to provide a full and complete offer to end the claim or look for a good barrister, as they have accepted the place of the 3rd party in this case, then they will be issued against in the county court with regards to the issue.

My solicitor has informed them of the following:

1) Based on photographic evidence supplied by myself, their claim that I accept 50/50 liability is false

2) Based on the fact that they have failed to provide any form of evidence supporting this refusal to accept liability, they will be held in contempt by my solicitor (basically, they keep delaying the case, then refusing to acknowledge letters/phone calls!)

3) They still have not supplied a statement from the 3rd party driver

I have been told that the case handler has referred the case to a supervisor due to the error in handling the locus report, so my solicitor has given them until mid-July to consider their position, and informed them that regardless of their reply, the case will be forwarded to be issued by my legal team management.

I will keep you guys informed as to the outcome, but my solicitor feels that we are within 1 month of resolution/county court, so heres' to waiting for a couple of weeks longer!! :)

On a final note, my claim is broken down into the following:

Accident Compensation offer (by MIB): £3000 (originally offered £2500 and refused this as not a fair assessment of injuries and after-affects)

Loss of earnings (until current date): 18 Months+ at £1220 p/m (AFTER tax/NI deductions)

Any additional costs and Legal Expenses: (also note that legal expenses on this are covered by my insurance as I have up to £100,000 legal cover on a fully comp policy!)

My calculations show (and have been agreed to by my solicitor as well!) ads being in excess of: £22,260 and counting!

I do NOT expect the MIB to want to pay this out, but according to my solicitor, if they refuse to accept liability, or delay any longer, my solicitor is going for £50,000 to cover ALL the case stuff!

Who know, Might even see some of that!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, to say I am shocked would be an understatement!

I received a phone call from my solicitor yesterday, and it bowled me over!

Basically, the MIB have ACCEPTED full liability and have ACCEPTED and will deal with the claim in FULL and will also pay out the claim in full upon agreement with my solicitor!

Nearly there, just waiting for the medical report and all is pretty much sorted!!

I wanted to thank EVERYONE for their input and say: "Don't give up, but with the MIB it IS a waiting game, so patients is needed when dealing with such a pedantic, government run agency"

Well done! They must be having a generous week. Just got a 15K interim payment. Best of luck for the future.

• 4 months later...

Latest news:

The MIB have now decided to delay things even further by re-requesting medical evidence on the matter, meaning that it WON'T get fully addressed or sorted out until the new year!

I find that this is really dragging on, but other poeple have had even LONGER to wait and I think that the whole process and procedures need to be re-addressed by government as they effectively "control" how this type of thing is handled.

My solicitor has told them in writing and in recorded telephone conversations that if she feels that the case is being effectively "delayed" without reasonable grounds, she will issue for court proceedings, and as the MIB have accepted full liability, they will have no choice but to answer the case, however, still means that they won't be finalizing the case for a while...typical really!

Hope other peoples' experience at the hands of the MIB are better than most and certainly better than mine! LOL

I havn`t read back on your post but if you look at post#11 there is a point made about a three year time bar fot taking court action so I don`t know if your within or near that point.

My claim still goes on 5 years and 1 month now and I may still have to see the MIB Consultant. Good luck