• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Landy-alert v MBNA

landy_alert
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5517 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 21st Jan we sent off 2 x CCAs and an Subject Access Request regarding 2 credit cards my husband has with MBNA.

These are both currently in arrears by a couple of months (and are no longer being used, I hasten to add), although repayment has been a bit random since OH gave up a well paid job to get out of the rat-race and go self-employed as an internet based seller due to the money related stresses that caused him to take an overdose in 2007 - see my thread in the Welcome Forum for all the gory details.

Yesterday (30th Jan) he received a letter regarding the first account stating that if he didn't make a payment of £80 within 6 days he would be defaulted and another two letters (one relating to each account and obviously in response to the CCA) stating -

'Thank you for your recent communication. We are currently investigating your complaint and will provide you with a full response by 18th February 2009'.

I guess that's better than ignoring us totally, although 18th Feb sounds like slightly longer than the 12+2 days to me, lol!

As for the default threat, I'm disinclined to pay them anything at the moment as it's because of idiots like them that OH got into his predicament before - although maybe it would shut them up for 5 minutes as yes, the dreaded phone calls have started again!

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

Send them the telephone harrassment letter below.

Your Street

Town

City

Postcode

DATE HERE

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to, FOS, OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Yours faithfully,

[NAME HERE]

Make a note and the time and date of all calls.

I guess that's better than ignoring us totally, although 18th Feb sounds like slightly longer than the 12+2 days to me, lol!

Hi the above is bog standard MBNA time wasting this is your request and the legal time scale is 12+2 working days not their we will reply when we feel like it.

dpick

Well, the 12 + 2 days are up the day after tomorrow (Sunday 8th) - so do we continue to the next stage on Monday or give them until the 18th as they have said they will respond by then?

Thanks,

Landy

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Thanks Alphageek - Monday it is then :D

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Well, Monday came and with it a Default Notice from MBNA (concerning one of OH's 2 c.cards).

It states that if he doesn't pay the £962.18 by 23rd Feb (my birthday as it happens!) further action may be taken against him.

So today they will be getting a default notice from OH stating that his account is in dispute as they have not responded to his CCA request :D

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Right - the latest development from MBNA -

Today OH has had a reply to the SAR request we sent regarding his 2 credit cards - only 19 days since they received it (steps back in amazement!!!)

Now there are two great wads of sheets relating to the 2 cards and I have started going through them making a note of the various charges, but I'm not sure which are the unlawful ones which can be reclaimed.

The types of charges are as follows -

Credit Insurance Fee

Cash Advance Interest

Retail Interest

Overlimit Fee Charge

Late Fee Charge

Not Sufficient Funds Fee

If anyone could help me identify the unlawful ones it would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Landy

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

OK, so I've done a bit more reading of the MBNA threads and have worked out that the Credit Insurance Fee is PPI, and that we can only claim back the Late Fee Charges, Overlimit Fee Charges and Not Sufficient Funds Fee Charges.

However, one point of interest is that the letters relating to each c.card both state ''we have provided this information to you free of charge on this occasion'' - what about our £10 postal order then???

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Yay!!!!!!! I just found my £10 postal order skulking in the bottom of the envelope!

So MBNA aren't as dishonest as we all thought :lol: ..........well not quite!

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Well, Monday came and with it a Default Notice from MBNA (concerning one of OH's 2 c.cards).

It states that if he doesn't pay the £962.18 by 23rd Feb (my birthday as it happens!) further action may be taken against him.

So today they will be getting a default notice from OH stating that his account is in dispute as they have not responded to his CCA request :D

Have a read of these on DN's.

I would advise and indeed implore all members to read through x20's thread on dodgy DN's and one of b_r_w's brain dumps on the subject.

x20's dodgy DN post - A Tale of a Dodgy DN

banker_rhymes_with brain dump - Default Notice period - 7 CLEAR days ?

And yes, you have correctly identified the penalty charges made by MBNA.

• Haha 1

Thanks Supasnooper, have had a read of both of those and get the general idea - it's a lot to digest in one hit though and will take a few readings for it all to sink in.

As my OH's DN was dated 6th Feb and received on 10th Feb with a DN date of 23rd I believe this to be one day short of the 14 clear days for the statutory deadline, thus possibly rendering it invalid?

I'm hoping though that they fail to come up with enforceable CCAs for his two accounts anyway (the deadline was last weekend and nothing so far - account in dispute letter sent). So really the charges/PPI reclaim issue is our insurance for if they DO come up with enforceable CCAs.

One other follow-up to the receipt of his SAR info from MBNA yesterday is that it's not all there (a bit like most of their staff, lol!).

All they have provided is a huge wad of transactions - charges etc, but no record of any manual intervention, letters sent, phone call transcripts etc or anything relating to his history with them. This despite our having used a standard template from on here.

I understood all this other info should have been included - so what would be our next step please?

Also, if anyone could point me in the direction of the best spreadsheets to use for working out how much to reclaim, that would be most appreciated. I have tried the links to some of the spreadsheets and they don't seem to be working - unless it's just me!

Many thanks,

Landy

• Haha 1

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Landy,

For non compliance of SAR take MBNA to court for non-compliance, will cost you £30.00

How to do this -

Data Protection Act: Non-Compliance - Consumer Wiki

The guide may say send a LBA - I wouldn't bother, MBNA know the DPA.

Get a Data Controller in front of a judge and hope he's wearing brown trousers.

Your DN would be ineffective but find more holes in it, is the amount correct ? are all the details correct ? The more the better.

Read and re-read the threads of x20 and b_r_w, it'll sink in slowly but it will give you the edge come your day in court.

Have a search for "Interest tutorial" or search the posts of havinastella who has recently posted the link to it.

Hi Supasnooper - thanks for that. Will have a look at your link to Data Protection Act non-compliance.

I will go through the DN with a fine tooth comb looking for further discrepencies, but at the moment I think it all looks correct (apart from the aforementioned statutory deadline issue).

Will keep re-reading the two threads re: DNs as you suggested and have just printed off the interest tutorial for a spot of light bed-time reading, lol!

Thanks again, your input has been most useful.

Landy

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

hiya landy alert and everyone else with mbna problems

have you seen underdog thread yet?

may be useful, as speaking with a solicitor on monday

take a look

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/172769-mbna-agreement-now-threat.html

laters angel x

Oh by the way i too got an mbna default notice, does yours by the way have "Paragraph 8 of that agreement..........

if so, let me know on this thread im now subbed to it and there is someone who is in court action and looking into this at the moment

okay keep postive (speaking with others ive befriended here we appear to be a job lot the date of the 23.02.09 is the date most of us have to remedy) just thought id let you know that too

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Hi Angel,

Thanx for pointing me in the direction of Underdog's thread - have read it and subbed!

Yes, OH's DN does have the 'paragraph 8' quote, but as we don't yet have the agreements back I can't say whether there actually is a paragraph 8, although if other peoples' are anything to go by, I doubt whether it will!

Oh and yes, the DN does have the 23rd as the statutory deadline - my birthday (typically, lol!).

As we received the response to the SAR request back this week from MBNA and it merely consisted of several pages of transactions and charges, tomorrow I will be sending them a letter stating that their response was incomplete and that in the case of a SAR they should be sending us an exact, unaltered copy of the original agreement, and see what they do about that......

Thanks again and Good Luck with your claim! :D

Landy

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Everyone,

Have just been going through OH's lists of transactions and charges as supplied by MBNA in response to SAR requests on his two credit cards and the last three entries on one of them are as follows -

Lost/Stolen Debit Charge - Charge-off Adjustment £3938.01

Lost/Stolen Debit Charge - Charge-off Adjustment -£3938.01

Monetary Credit Adjustment - Zero Curbl on Sold Acct -£3938.01

(The last two amounts are preceded by a minus).

These last amounts are dated September 2008. The last payment he made on this card was in July 2008 and the last statement he received for this account was in August 2008.

I am assuming the debt has been sold on to a DCA, but he has received no letters or anything to substantiate this.

Could anyone please confirm that this is what the last three amounts refer to?

Many thanks as always.

Regards,

Landy

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Are there any experts around who could clarify this for me please?

Many thanks,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Everyone,

I'm still hoping for a reply to my last question please, so if anyone can help that would be great. Apologies for my impatience, but am at a bit of a loss as to how to interpret MBNA 's gobbledegook!

Today is the 18th - the day MBNA said they would be sending their full responses by - and guess what.........nothing in the post.

So what with the dodgy DN and no CCAs, enforceable or not, I am now stuck and don't know what my next move should be?

Hope someone can help!

Many thanks,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Today OH has received a request for proof of his identity (copy of passport, driving licence etc) from MBNA which they say they require in order to send him the 'personal information' in the Subject Access Request.

So this must mean they are admitting that what they sent previously was not the full SAR then and that this is a response to the letter telling them so which was sent on 17th Feb!

We will get this off in the post to them asap.

Still no sign of his 2 CCAs though and the 12+2 was up on 10th February.

The 40 days for the SAR runs out on 1st March.

From what I've read on here the request for ID is quite normal, although it does sound like another delaying tactic!

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

have just looked at this and would suggest you have a look at mbna web site to see what their class as proof i.e i had to open a new bank account and my gas , telephone bills are accepted be warned not to send anything with signature on if possible just in case

• Haha 1

Hi Almond!

Thanks for that - yes, the same thought was running through my mind......the whole thing about not signing any letters would go straight out of the window if you hand them your signature on a plate (or a passport, lol!). The old pritt stick and scissors brigade are probably just waiting to get a copy of OH's sig before they send back his CCA.

Will defo check up whether a utility bill would suffice before we send anything off.

Regards,

Landy

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded