Orange donating my VAT reduction to charity - Whats this all about

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5519 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anybody else seen this email from Orange.

I was wondering why my monthly broadband cost had not gone down like all the others have due to the VAT rate being reduced.

Then this morning I get an email telling me that the reduction on MY BILL, is being donated to a charity?

Can they do this. I should be getting this saving not a charity

Following the recent VAT rate cut, we’re pleased to confirm that you’ll be paying the reduced rate of 15% from 1 February 2009. So you’ll start seeing the savings on your February bill.

a goodwill gesture

We’re sorry about the delay getting back to you concerning the savings incurred from 1 December 2008 to 31 January 2009. Because of the administration involved it’s proving difficult to credit every customer account with an accurate amount.

The individual sums are relatively small at around 50p per customer, but it would be wholly inappropriate for us to keep hold of those amounts. That’s why we intend to donate the grand total to charity. The lump sum saved by thousands of Orange broadband customers up until 31 January 2009 will make a real difference to UNICEF UK’s Children’s Emergency Fund, our charity partner since 2004. We hope you agree.

a deserving cause

UNICEF are delighted to be the benefactors and it will help them continue to provide essential support and relief to children in crisis. You can find out more here.

We hope you’ll be pleased to be involved with this positive start to the New Year. Of course, if you have any questions, just give us a call on 0844 873 8586 from 7am to 11pm any day of the week.

Orange Customer Support

Orange Customer Support

I don't recall seeing that email, but then they haven't exactly been great at keeping in touch with us recently either. When they cut off our home phone they couldn't understand why we couldn't ring them to sort it out, making my usually calm father nearly burst a blood vessel with frustration.

They cannot do this.

They can ask you if you want to donate the vat change to charity but they cannot simply donate on your behalf.

The reduction in the VAT rate was from December 1 and they have to either give you an updated vat invice for the full amount (which will show that they have actually increased their price so that you pay more) or pass on the reduction.

They cannot simply say that they are, and have, donated to a charity on your behalf.

Personally I would write to them and let them know that you do not wish to donate the money to charity and that you wish it to be refunded to you.

(I suspect they have chosen this route because it will be much cheaper to the company to administer than trying to refund individual accounts and they guess that people will feel guilty about objecting about a charitable donation to a kids charity)

in my book charity begins at home

Dear Orange,

thank you for your email about the VAT difference being donated to charity and very please that your company allows this.

From 1st feburary, in keeping with your chariatable (how the hell do you spell that word) nature I will now be donating my enitre monthly fee, every month, requested by orange to my selected charity, alfneedsmoneynow.

Thank you for your support!

Alf

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

I had a text message today saying that instead of Orange giving me a VAT refund on my top-ups, they would instead keep the money and let me take it as a discount against a new phone in the future.

Yes I got this text as well this morning. I thonk Orange have a bloody cheek. These VAT savings should be reflected in the cost of the service you pay for. all the other networks have been adding extra to your credit balance.

So I don't know how many customers they have but google shows it as 17 million, so 17 millions customers VAT reduction held in THEIR bank account on the off chance you may buy a phone of them, what a tidy little investment, I wouldn't mind a months interest off it.

Surely this is just as unlawful as donating it to charity.

I have contacted TS about the broadband [problem] already, but will be getting back on to them in the morning.

This is just as unlawful as the donation to charity.

By the same token you could write to Orange and say

Dear Orange

I sell MING dynasty vases at somewhere in the region of £2.5 million each.

Instead of paying my orange bill, I will place the money in an account and, in the event of you wishing to purchase a MING Dynasty vase, will discount it from the sale price.

Its a [problem]

DEMAND your refund, in cash or credit against your NEXT bill.

Well I received a reply from Trading Standards about this VAT [problem], they advised as the agreement was taken out before 1st December 2009 I should inform the Inland Revenue of Oranges' prictices.

This I will be doing in the morning.

I like many have received their email detailing how they are to donate my money to charity. I have today written them a letter and demanded my money back as I don't agree with what they are doing . Other companies such as BT managed to get this right so I do not agree with their excuse of "Administration", I pointed out in my letter that the whole idea for the rate reduction was to put money back into our pockets so that we might start spending again to re-start the economy not for companies to give it to charity. Dont get me wrong I'm not against charities but it does begin at home and if I want to give to a charity I prefer to choose my own rather than be dictated to.

People should put pen to paper and demand your cash back.

Orange

Customer Care

PO Box 486

Rotherham

S63 5ZX

• 2 weeks later...
Well I received a reply from Trading Standards about this VAT [problem], they advised as the agreement was taken out before 1st December 2009 I should inform the Inland Revenue of Oranges' prictices.

This I will be doing in the morning.

That's typical isn't it. Why don't they inform Inland Revenue, and get onto Orange aswell. That's the whole point of reporting them isn't it.

I have had a written reply from Orange to say that they reimburse my account and I will make sure that it is or they will get another letter. Don't think by the tone of their reply that they were best pleased of me robbing a childrens charity but I really dont care, should have asked first not just assumed. Also should have got their act together regarding this as other companies managed the drop OK.

I'm really shocked by this post. I regularly donate to charities but they are charities that I have chosen to support based on a variety of different things and think it's appalling that Orange are forcing their customers into this position.

I hope you receive the outcome you want.

• 3 weeks later...

I see this topic has just been discussed on tonights ' BBC Watchdog '

They say the reduction is no being passed on to the customer, but no real concern about the 500.000 quid of our money they donated to a charity of their choice, with out consulting the customer first.

So yet again these investigative bodies have highlighted a problem, but nothing being done about it.