Milamber v HSBC

Milamber
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My account with HSBC is now closed, so I have sent off a DPA request letter, along with £10.

The account goes back to the 1980's, and I know that duing this period a lot of charges were taken from my account. Hopefully the response to my letter might give me an indication of just how much this was.

Let's see what the postman brings...

Okay - I have had more time to look round the HSBC forums. Something tells me I am going to be disappointed if I am expecting statements, notes and transaction history going back further than six years.

Has anyone actually had this information, or is six years a figure HSBC are sticking to?

And if that is the case, has anyone made an estimated claim against HSBC, and if so, what was the bank's reaction?

cant go back beyonf 6 years as they arent required by law to hold information this far back, which means that even though they prob do have it they dont have to disclose it to you as they can say they dont have it, so you wont see anything beyond 6 years

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Sorry - I was under the impression that a full disclosure Subject Access Request obliged the bank (or data controller) to provide ALL information that they hold on you, however far back it goes.

I agree with you when you say that they are not obliged to hold data for more than six years, but if they do hold it then I do not see how they can withold it. This surely defeats the point of making a full disclosure request.

I will go and read more about this point on the Information Commissioners site, but I am pretty certain that they MUST provide it if they have it. :eek:

• Haha 1

That's okay, it's a minor thing. As you say, they probably don't have information older than this, so are there any general guidelines on estimating the charges that have been taken?

I would like to start calculating my charges as soon as I receive the information from the bank, and being prepared now would be sensible.

Amber.

This morning I received four envelopes from HSBC, containing copies of statements from July 2000 to July 2002. There were no notes, or any explanation as to why my request was only partially completed. Is this normal practice?

That's what happened to me, only I think I had about 12 envelopes...

They will send the rest, probably on the 40th day, but don't hold out much hope of them sending you notes and evidence of manual intervention...:)

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

This morning I received four envelopes from HSBC, containing copies of statements from July 2000 to July 2002. There were no notes, or any explanation as to why my request was only partially completed. Is this normal practice?
I'm not so far from Wimbledon myself (three stops on the train) - would you be up for meeting for a coffee to discuss tactics?

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

That's cool...don't want to be too forward...

I would like to start calculating my charges as soon as I receive the information from the bank, and being prepared now would be sensible.

Amber.

There's some spreadsheets you can use. How good are you on spreadsheets? :-)