summons for payment in same month

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5557 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

i recieved a summons today for januarys payment, yet it is not the end of january yet, surley they cant do this

my account was up to date as from the first of january and i have been late making payments, but i just cant believe they can do this

i have tried paying on line but it will not except my payment as it is forcing me to ring the council

any advice please

You should have received letters about the late payments and an invitation to ring them.

If you have a summons to prove liabilty (non of us deny liability) they won't cancel it as it makes them money, lots of money so that will be added to your outstanding amount.

Once the liability order has been granted, you can ring and make a payment arrangement. The fee for the liability order is taken before any money is put towards the outstanding tax.

Unfortunately there is no point in going to court as the judge cannot take into account any hardship etc; and is only there to rubber stamp the fact you are liable.

Liability orders are pure and simple to make money for council like all government departments, that is their first priority. I think the fact you have made payments means you are not disputing your liability to council tax, so even the slightest excuse they can get, they will ask for a liability order.

In 2007, councils in England made £240million pounds from liability orders, so they are big business.

The actual charge the courts ask is £3 (three pounds) for the order, so all the rest is profit, (makes the private parking companies look a real bargain).

Of course, when a liability order has been granted, it gives the councils the power to use bailiffs to collect or to take payments direct from you wages, taken out by your employer.

It looks ok for you as you are not far behind, but if bailiffs are used, the council must by law give you 14 days notice in writing that they are doing so.

Edited by Conniff