used car purchase with 3 month warranty

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4326 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

i wonder if anyone can give us some advise with regard to the purchase of a used car from a car trader.

we purchased the vehicle on 10/01/09.it is an 'n' plate mgf convertible with fsh and was given witha new years mot supplied by the dealer.the car cost £1425 which was paid by debit card on 2 occassions as a deposit and final settlement.the car was fine up until monady of this week when we noticed a strange noise coming from the engine area.after depressing the clutch pedal this disappeared and as i had had a rover 214 previous suspected that there might be an issue with the clutch.to add insult to injury that evening we had a severe downpour and having left the car out that night i returned the following morning to find 2 sodden seats and footwell carpets!!!the roof has never been down in th 2 weeks we have had it.

i took the car to the trader that day after calling him first.he had a company mechanic to look at it and said that for its age the clutch would probably be on its way out!! and that all the mgf's leaked anyway!!!

as you can imagine this got my back up and i threatened that i would take this issue to trading standards.they reluctantly said that the doors would have to be readjusted as it appeared that they were not meeting/sitting correctly so were probably the cause of the leak.they also said they would have to diagnose the sound of the clutch.

today they have rung back and said that they would only pay £100 towards the clutch as part of the warranty claim.i told them that as we had aonly had the car such a short time that it was obviously not fit for the purpose it was sold for, and that we owuld prefer our money back.

they have now told me they will ring tomorrow to 'sort' the problem out.

is there anymore i can do?:confused:

Not just 'fit for purpose' Mark but not of 'unmercantable quality'.

Not all MGFs leak, no soft-top leaks, they, (or any company) wouldn't have made them.

To reject the car, you must list the faults and write a letter of rejection stating the sale of goods act 1979. Don't collect the car from them if it is still there, and give them 14 days in which to pay up.

If the car is at home, don't use it again and it is up to them to come and collect it at their expense.

If you taxed it don't forget to take the disc off and get a refund, and do the V5 correctly and send it off to the DVLA yourself, don't let them do it. To be on the safe side (if you have read any DVLA threads you will know what I mean), send it by recorded delivery.