• Tweets

• they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
    • Please provide advice on the following situation: I rented out my property to four students for 16 months until March 2024. Initially, the property was in very good condition, but now it needs extensive renovation. This includes redoing the bathroom, replacing the kitchen, removing wallpaper, and redecorating due to significant mould growth. The tenants also left their furniture on the grass, which is owned by the local authority. As a landlord, I've met all legal requirements. It seems the damage was caused by poor ventilation—windows were always closed, and heating wasn't used. There was also a bathroom leak fixed by reapplying silicone. I tried to claim insurance, but it was denied, citing tenant behaviour as the cause by looking at the photos, which isn't covered. The deposit barely covers the repair costs, or else I'll have to pursue money claims, which I've never done before and am unsure about its legal complications or costs. Any thoughts on this?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cabot issued Claim

stitchedup
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, our good friends from Cabot have issued a claim via Northampton for a Goldfish Bank account.

Details of claim are as follows

The Claimant is part of the Cabot Financial Group and has purchased the debt scheduled below. Despite requests for payment the defendant has failed to pay the sum of (4 figures) in relation to the defendants Goldfish Bank Ltd credit card account number **********

and the claimant claims the sum of **** together with interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 and costs.

I shall be acknowledging and defending fully.

Appreciate any advice people can offer, I've read many threads but cannot see the wood for the tree's. Feel free to pm me and I'll give more details that may be required. Needlesss to say I'm in possession of an Application form only.

n.b. The is no mention of any solicitors on the court papers, only Cabots West Malling address.

Guidance please :-)

Thanks in advance.

Yes you do have that time to submit your defence I would ask a MOD to post you on the DCA legal threads. Also as litigation has started you can ask for a copy of the CCA via the courts. You need to look at the stickies and see if anyone can help with your defence.

If you can post up the POC on here others can help. Also have they supplied you with a credit agreement before starting action?

Many thanks Rhia, the particulars of the claim seem to be rather ambigous

insofar far as they are...................

The Claimant is part of the Cabot Financial Group and has purchased the debt scheduled below. Despite requests for payment the defendant has failed to pay the sum of (4 figures) in relation to the defendants Goldfish Bank Ltd credit card account number **********

and the claimant claims the sum of **** together with interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 and costs.

I have previously CCA Cabot and all they could come up with was an old Morgan Stanley App form that is even stamped up Application !!!!!!!

No prescribed terms, no credit limit et al

Can I just ask...is there any chance that this debt is statute barred - in other words is it six years since you made a payment or acknowledged you owed this debt.

Reason for this is Cabot has been trying to collect SB debts from a few on CAG.

Also have a look at this as it gives a letter to send asking for information under CPR

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/180148-court-papers-recieved-can.html

My own observation for your defence is along the lines that you are embarrassed to enter this defence as the claimant has failed to produce a properly executed copy of the agreements as required by the CCA 1974. Without this they are unable to enforce the debt (ie. start court action)

I see it is MS/Goldfish - all they do is produce a scrappy appn form and then try and and match it up to some T&Cs from Barclays who now own the companies. It is challengeable.

Edited by Rhia
Add info

• 7 months later...

Received N149 today, accompanied by the following.

It is ordered that;

The Court will deal with the application to lift the stay without hearing under CPR 23.8 ©

The application to lift the stay and transfer is granted

note: A party affected by this order may under rule 23.10 apply to have it set aside, varied or stayed. Such a party must apply under Rule 23.10 within 7 days of service of this order.

The transfer to my local court has taken place.

I have previously sent CPR request to Cabot (without reply)

AQ has to be completed Oct 1.

I think I need help now. Many thanks to all in advance.

Wow, there's quite a gap between 28th January and now - what has happened so far?

SH

Hi SH, i wondered how you were, i myself have been away from the site several months with personal/work matters. good to see you are back

Sorry to OP for butting in

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Hi CCM,

Thanks! You can't have been away for too long because you've picked up quite a few 'blobs' since I was last here! All well deserved, I've no doubt.

I see you stepped in and helped Nottsdave out as well - many thanks for that.

This has been one seriously nasty year for me, after it promised so much, but I'm still in there fighting. Life is hard, and it's going to get harder, but nothing is finished yet.

Sorry OP, we will now step aside and leave the stage to you.

SH

Wow, there's quite a gap between 28th January and now - what has happened so far?

SH

Basically I sent in an 'embarrassed' defence due to their vague POC and their failure to reply to my CPR request, then today out of the blue the AQ arrived. If you look at the post above the POC are very loose. Any suggestions?

Is the defence you submitted on another thread somewhere, possibly in the Legal Issues section?

You say they have ignored your CPR request - I take it that was a Part 18 as the PoC are so poor a CPR 31.14 won't get you much?

Non-compliance can now be challenged again at the AQ stage. There are some really good threads on here where AQs have been filled in in very similar circumstances. We just need to make sure we've got all the facts right.

So you've got an unenforceable application form which they claim is an agreement? Any default notice? Any NoA?

SH

I don't suppose this is much help but I have a Goldfish account that is currently in dispute (although not by Cabot)

Goldfish sent me a default notice that did not give a date for me to make good the arrears but instead referred to a second piece of paper as the date it was sent....it is an invalid default notice...which in itself may not be too much of a problem as they can simply issue another one.

However, they also issued me with a termination notice....this notice in effect closed the account and allows them only to be able to claim the amount of the arrears..

Following on from that, I receive at a point in the future a notice of assignment from Goldfish to a DCA....however, Goldfish were sold prior to the assignment notice...some 6 months before the assignment notice in fact....and yet the dca stated that they had been assigned it from Goldfish....

Further to that the amount owed has increased by 2k since I've been paying the DCA and yet I have a letter from the dca that no interest would be charged on the account....

None of the above became relevant until I joined this website forum, armed with my new found confidence I did some research and along the way the above is what I found was a problem.

I have sent a cca request to the DCA and they haven't responded and it's been 2 months since..

None of this may be relevant to you but this is how Goldfish ended my account with them. I currently consider that the DCA owe me money, I've paid more than what the arrears in the faulty default notice and I do not consider the DCA to have acted lawfully when collecting money from me. I awaiting confirmation from a solicitor as to above circumstances and once I have that and if it is consistent with my own feelings/findings then I will pursue the DCA at any/all levels that I can.

So be sure to check the specifics of your Credit agreement, it's default notice and termination and any assignments that may have been made by Cabot etc....you may turn something up...

• Haha 1

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Is the defence you submitted on another thread somewhere, possibly in the Legal Issues section?

You say they have ignored your CPR request - I take it that was a Part 18 as the PoC are so poor a CPR 31.14 won't get you much?

Non-compliance can now be challenged again at the AQ stage. There are some really good threads on here where AQs have been filled in in very similar circumstances. We just need to make sure we've got all the facts right.

So you've got an unenforceable application form which they claim is an agreement? Any default notice? Any NoA?

SH

I haven't posted up the embarrassed defence onto the forum as yet.

Yes I only have an application form for a Morgan Stanley Card, never had any notice of assignment that moved my account to Goldfish, just a hello letter from Cabot saying they had bought my Goldfish account. Messy eh?

Think I should request this thresd moving to legal section?

Thread moved.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Defence

1. Except where otherwise mentioned in this defence, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the claimants Particulars of Claim and put the claimant to strict proof thereof.

2. The Defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Particulars of Claim as it stands at present, inter alia: -

3. The claimants' particulars of claims disclose no legal cause of action and they are embarrassing to the defendant as the claimant's statement of case is insufficiently particularised and does not comply or even attempt to comply with CPR part 16. In this regard I wish to draw the courts attention to the following matters;

a) The Particulars of Claim are vague and insufficient and do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or proceeding the alleged cause of action. No particulars are offered in relation to the nature of the written agreement referred to, the method the claimant calculated any outstanding sums due, or any default notices issued or any other matters necessary to substantiate the claimant's claim.

b) A copy of the purported written agreement that the claimant cites in the Particulars of Claim, and which appears to form the basis upon which these proceedings have been brought, has not been served attached to the claim form.

c) A copy of any evidence of both the scope and nature of any default, and proof of any amount outstanding on the alleged accounts, has not been served attached to the claim form.

4. Consequently, it is proving difficult to plead to the particulars as matters stand

5. Further to the case, on 02/02/2008 I requested the disclosure of information pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules, which is vital to this case from the claimant. The information requested amounted to copies of any Credit Agreement referred to in the particulars of claim and any default or termination notices, a transcript of all transactions, including charges, fees, interest, alleged repayments by myself and payments made by the original creditor. Also any other documents the Claimant seeks to rely on, including any default notices or termination notice, and a copy of the Notice of Assignment required to give the claimant a legitimate right of action.

6. To Date the claimant has not responded to my request under the CPR and I have not received any such documentation requested. As a result it has proven difficult to compose this defence without disclosure of the information requested.

7. The courts attention is drawn to the fact that the without disclosure of the requested documentation pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules I have not yet had the opportunity to assess if the documentation the claimant claims to be relying upon to bring this action even contains the prescribed terms required in Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) which was amended by Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482). The prescribed terms referred to are contained in schedule 6 column 2 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and are inter alia: - A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit, A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement and A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following--

1. Number of repayments;

2. Amount of repayments;

3. Frequency and timing of repayments;

4. Dates of repayments;

5. The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable

8. The courts attention is drawn to the fact that where an agreement does not have the prescribed terms as stated in point 7 it is not compliant with section 60(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and therefore not enforceable by s127 (3). The courts attention is also drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the consumer credit act 1974 and the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482) the agreement cannot be enforced

9. Notwithstanding points 7 and 8, any such agreements must be signed in the prescribed manner by both debtor and creditor. If such a document is not signed by the debtor the document cannot be enforced by way of section 127(3) Consumer Credit Act 1974

10. The claimant is therefore put to strict proof that such a complaint document exists

11. It is neither admitted or denied that any Default Notice in the prescribed format was ever received and the Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that said document in the prescribed format was delivered to the defendant.

12. Notwithstanding point 11, I put the claimant to strict proof that any default notice sent to me was valid. I note that to be valid, a default notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237)

13. Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but would also give rise to a potential counterclaim for damages where damage occurs to my credit rating (Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society - [1996] 4 All ER 119)

14. Without Disclosure of the relevant requested documentation I am unable to assess if I am indeed liable to the claimant, nor am I able to assess if the alleged agreement is properly executed, contain the required prescribed terms, or correct figures to make such an agreement enforceable by virtue of s127 Consumer Credit Act 1974

15. In view of the matters pleaded above, I respectfully request that the court gives consideration to whether the claimant's statement of case should be struck out as disclosing no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim, and/or that it fails to comply with CPR Part 16.

16. Alternatively, I respectfully request a stay in proceedings until such time as the claimant complies with the requests outlined in paragraph 5 above or until the court orders its compliance with the same. I will then be in a position to file a fully particularised defence and counterclaim and will seek the courts permission to amend my statement of case accordingly.

17. In addition it is drawn to the courts attention that schedule 3, s11 of the Consumer Credit Act 2006 prevents s15 repealing s127 (3) of the 1974 Act for agreements made before s15 came into effect since the agreement is alleged to have commenced in 10/03/2000 the Consumer Credit Act 1974 is the relevant act in this case.

Statement of Truth

Any chance of a little assistance in the completing of the N149, I've taken on board PT's posting ref Directions etc, but obviously I dont wish to make an arse of the submission. Do I need to mention of securitisiation of the debt in the uk? Many thanks, the N149 has to be in my local Court by 1 Oct.

I am in a similar position but I just got the N150 straight out the blue nothing about a stay been lifted, and it had been stayed. Out of interest does it show the lifting of the stay if you check at moneyclaim online?

My AQ has to be in by the 5th effectively the 2nd as I will have to post it.

I am taking a much different tack to what many have/are doing and been as minimal as possible hoping they hang their selves out to dry before I have to play any potential ace.

Hi mercy, I'm just completeing my N150. It appears to be depending on what information you have received! You either just say yes, or you say no and explain 'The case is not covered by any approved protocol; I have tried to act reasonably in exchanging information and documents relevant to the claim but have had no response from the claimant in this regard.'