Legal situation regarding parking signs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a ticket last Saturday but I genuinely believed I was OK at the time of parking my car. The problem was there were no signs to indicate the situation wih regard to the meters/yellow lines (I was parked on a single yellow line) on the road where my car was. There were a couple of signs but theye were referring to disabled parking bays. These signs were divided in two parts (top and bottom) and the bottom part referred to the hours being from Monday to Friday. This caused me to belive I was OK and is the reason I have the ticket. Surely the signposting should be better/clear/there in the first place. Normally Im quite thorough but perhaps I should have done more. :-x

Anyway Ive had a look around for info on signs on this site but havent had much luck. Can someone explain the situation and/or point me to any info on the legalities of this?

If there is no plate

syltime.jpg

for the yellow line then it can't be enforced UNLESS you are in a controlled zone, in which case the times and days are listed on the controlled zone plates ie

controlledzone.jpg.

These are usually situated on the entrances to streets, or in smaller towns the roads in and out of the town. If that makes sense.

Edited by craigers
add pics

CPZ entry signs must be present on both sides of the road (except in certain exceptional cases, where one side is permitted) on every vehicular entrance to the CPZ.

If any sign is missing, regardless of the route you used to enter the CPZ, then the CPZ falls and is unenforceable.

If there is no plate

syltime.jpg

for the yellow line then it can't be enforced UNLESS you are in a controlled zone, in which case the times and days are listed on the controlled zone plates ie

controlledzone.jpg.

These are usually situated on the entrances to streets, or in smaller towns the roads in and out of the town. If that makes sense.

Ive checked and neither of these signs are available. Im going to contest it as a result. I will let you know the outcome but Im confident it will be waived and rightly so.

Ive checked and neither of these signs are available. Im going to contest it as a result. I will let you know the outcome but Im confident it will be waived and rightly so.

Remember the "Controlled Zone" sign doesn't have to be present on the street where you actually parked, it only needs to be placed at the entry of the zone (all of them though). So you may need to check for the zone sign further out than the single street you parked in. Even if you discover that you had in fact driven past a control sign, you then need to check whether you could have got to your parking place by any route without passing a sign. If you can, irrelevant of the fact that was not the route you took, then the fine can be contested as not correctly signed.

Remember the "Controlled Zone" sign doesn't have to be present on the street where you actually parked, it only needs to be placed at the entry of the zone (all of them though). So you may need to check for the zone sign further out than the single street you parked in. Even if you discover that you had in fact driven past a control sign, you then need to check whether you could have got to your parking place by any route without passing a sign. If you can, irrelevant of the fact that was not the route you took, then the fine can be contested as not correctly signed.

Thanks for the clarification and I will check this. :)