Please help me solve my Halifax Hell

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5500 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, at the moment I am going through the claims process with nationwide bank, but I am unsure what to do about the problems with Halifax and was wondering if anyone could give me any help or advice.

I haven't used my halifax account for just over a year and I have an overdraft with them from when I was a student. Upto january this year the account was in the overdraft limit. After a few months of threatening letters because the account has gone overdrawn due to interest I arranged with halifax to make monthly payments of £10 as I am now a single parent on benefits. I did send halifax a letter asking for all interest and charges to be stopped which I was advised to do by the CAB

I made my first payment and then two weeks later I recieved a statement, saying that I was being charged just over £16 a month in interest. I found out today that halifax will not cease interest or charges unless I am with a debt management company.

What I would like to know is, can I still go through the same process as I have with nationwide and claim back all charges for that account even though it is overdrawn and has an arrangement attached to it?

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks

:p :p :pCARMEN :p :p :p

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick question, when I send the £10 fee with the Data protection letter can it be postal order or does it have to be a cheque. i have a basic account at no frills basic account so do not have a cheque book facility.

Hi,

A postal order is OK.

Good luck

Nona

[CENTER][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=DarkOrange]Any advice offered is only my opinion, based on my experience with my claim [/COLOR][/I][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2] I won my case because[/SIZE] I READ THESE FIRST[/COLOR][/SIZE] [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/"][COLOR=red]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/[/COLOR][/URL] [/CENTER] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3]Halifax[/SIZE][COLOR=YellowGreen]-[/COLOR][/COLOR][B][SIZE=4][COLOR=Red][COLOR=YellowGreen]SETTLED IN FULL[/COLOR] :D:D:D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=magenta] [COLOR=SeaGreen]Prelim letter sent [COLOR=Black]10/07/06[/COLOR] Moneyclaim issued [COLOR=Black]07//08/06[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Settled in full[/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]15/08/06 [SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=1]Survey completed. Donation made[/SIZE].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [/CENTER] [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Navy]Thanks to Dave and Bankfodder, and all who have given their time and advice[/COLOR]:)[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [/CENTER] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black]Co-op Bank Visa[/COLOR] Settled after LBA (only £61 but hey ho, every penny counts) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#00bfff] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

i took mine into my local branch with LOADS of ID and £10 cash so they couldn't use there normal stalling tactics, and start counting from that day, it's was also loads of fun ;) watching the confusion on their faces lol, remember to be nice as it's not the counter staffs fault their just doing their job like everyone else

OK I GIVE IN

Halifax £3600 charges, won with C/I £6400

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Bug**r all recieved 03/11/06

Prelim guesimate sent for £3000 03/11/06

Cr*p one CONNED statements 08/06 ROFLMAO

Cr*p one charges=£976

con int 34.9% £1,003.75 £1,979.75.

Ok well before I could even send the DPA letter, Halifax have sent me a default notice, as my account is over its limit ( due to interest). Oh well sttill sending my letter on monday and after that I'm hoping I can tackle the default notice!!!

Go get em kyd.

Have you read jonni2bad's thread v Halifax? It should give you an insight re default notice

Good luck

[CENTER][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=DarkOrange]Any advice offered is only my opinion, based on my experience with my claim [/COLOR][/I][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2] I won my case because[/SIZE] I READ THESE FIRST[/COLOR][/SIZE] [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/"][COLOR=red]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/[/COLOR][/URL] [/CENTER] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3]Halifax[/SIZE][COLOR=YellowGreen]-[/COLOR][/COLOR][B][SIZE=4][COLOR=Red][COLOR=YellowGreen]SETTLED IN FULL[/COLOR] :D:D:D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=magenta] [COLOR=SeaGreen]Prelim letter sent [COLOR=Black]10/07/06[/COLOR] Moneyclaim issued [COLOR=Black]07//08/06[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Settled in full[/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]15/08/06 [SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=1]Survey completed. Donation made[/SIZE].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [/CENTER] [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Navy]Thanks to Dave and Bankfodder, and all who have given their time and advice[/COLOR]:)[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [/CENTER] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black]Co-op Bank Visa[/COLOR] Settled after LBA (only £61 but hey ho, every penny counts) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#00bfff] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi, i have a question, I'm just about to send off my DPA letter but as I have received a default notice letter from halifax stating that the default notice is served under section 87(1) of the consumer credit act 1974. It states that I am in breach of the agreement as I have used my account in a way that I have let it go overdrawn. Now considering I haven't used the account in over a year and it is charges that have taken it over the agreed limit, how can I have used it!!!! Surely the bank has been the only one using it.

Anyway back to my question,, do i send the DPA letter or the s.10 letter, i'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

They are answering - sometimes you just have to be patient.

You should, in my opinion, send both a Scetion 10 Notice and also a separate letter to the Haliaf legal department (below) to stress that the debt is formally disputed. In doing this, they shouldn't take any further action until the matter is resolved - banks can be a law unto themselves though, so keep an eye on your credit files and report back anything you find.

Send them by special delivery.

HBOS Legal Services (Retail Division)

Trinity Road

Halifax

West Yorkshire

HX1 2RG

Don't be tempted to talk on the phone to them about any issue in relation to the default or the charges - unless you have recording equipment.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks jonni2bad, by what you have said it sounds like I should send 3 letters, the DPA, s.10 and then a letter to the legal department. Is that what you are suggesting I do?

The DPA letter is the section10 (it is the 10th section of the Data Protection Act).

You should send that and the letter confirming the debt is formally disputed.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

ok, I think I am getting alittle lost with this one, although I have been advised, i'm still confused. I am about to send off my SAR letter and as the bank have defaulted me, I am also sending the s.10 and a letter to their legal dept.

Am I right or have i got this all wrong?

please help

Jonni has just said the s.10 and the SAR are the same thing so you need to send just the two letters the SAR and the letter saying the account is in dispute

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

I think you have confused us a little here, the s.10 is for them not to default you if you are requesting statements then you need to send an SAR as well and also the letter to their Solicitors saying the account is in dispute

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

ok, sorry about this mechs, i did try to explain my situation, but may have got confused myself when typing. Thank you for your help, just one more question, is the s.10 a letter that you send before they default you or after? i have read it, but it seems to be a letter that you send before they default you! Or have I again got confused!

OK - I missed the point about the default notice being served... to clarify;

Immediately send the letter stating that the debt is formally disputed. Do this asap and send by special delivery to the legal services dept shown above.

Also send a Section 10 Notice to the same address.

Finally, send the SAR letter to Halifax (not legal services) so that we can determine your actual level of charges (don't forget the £10 fee even if they usually charge less)

Is that OK?

thank you so much for your help. I will be sending the SAr letter tomorrow and then sending the s.10 and legal letter on tuesday once I have written it. any suggestions as to what I should state in the letter to the legal dept?