Yet another Euro Car Parks dispute (slightly different to others posted so any help gratefully received)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I've had a look at the posts regarding Euro Car Parks and have come to the conclusion that the best tactic in this current dispute is to ignore any pending correspondence from them, however the facts of this dispute slightly differ to previous posts so I thought that I would gauge available opinion (if anyone is kind enough to offer one):

My old dear used an empty euro car park yesterday and parked in a disabled bay because she gets really bad pains in her legs and can't walk too far. Now she does actually get these pains, but hasn't had a chance to apply for a disabled badge as yet (this is in itself another issue I really really hate her doing this semi-illegitimately- and hope this incident will actually spur her into applying for a badge). When she returned from shopping to the euro car park she received a ticket stating a £70 fine (£50 if paid within 14 days) and her details (ie car, colour, registration) appear correct on the ticket.

Now half of me feels that it serves her right for parking in the disabled bay without a badge and she should pay the fine, and if it was a state issued fine (eg traffic warden) I would just pay it and move on). Having looked at previous posts on this forum regarding euro car parks the consensus seems to be that they are crooks and if she simply doesn't respond to this ticket, eventually they will go away. My only concern is that as this involves a disabled bay it might get a tad convoluted than the usual "don't say anything then they'll leave you alone".

There's also the legal issue regarding the non-display of prominent signs on entry/prior to parking and the level of any contractual damages charge euro car parks are levying (ie completely disproportionate to any loss suffered).

At present - in light of the disabled bay issue - I am undecided on whether to advise her pay/ignore, so any advice anyone can offer I'd be really keen to take on board.

Thanks in advance

a user

Edited by a user
grammar

A disabled bay in a private car park has no legal standing whatsoever. Of course most considerate motorist would not park in them as a matter of courtesy, but beyond that, no "offence", "contravention" or other similar word they come up with means you have done anything wrong.

The "ignore" advise would therefore still stand, but I think you are right that hopefully this will spur your old dear on to organise a blue badge for herself.

Crem

Thanks for your response, you've pretty much confirmed what I thought.

I absolutely agree that she shouldn't have parked there without the blue badge in the 1st place, and have told her this in no uncertain terms.

I absolutely agree that she shouldn't have parked there without the blue badge in the 1st place, and have told her this in no uncertain terms.

Why do you think that? She has bad legs and can't walk very far - she sounds disabled to me and therefore can park in disabled bays.

because it's asking for trouble and ends up in parking fines, and potentially inconveniences people who have legitimately obtaind the right to use such a space.

if things are that bad you go to the GP and get a badge.

Private car parks don't recognise blue badges in the same way that councils do. PPC's want it both ways. They insist that you identify your vehicle as having a blue badge entitlement, yet they are not prepared to offer the same entitlements that blue badge holders get from the council. Stores and businesses have to offer at least 6% of their parking spaces to the mobility impaired so as not to fall foul of the discrimination laws. If PPC's are restricting the use of those bays SOLELY to those carrying blue badges, that is a form of discrimination in itself, since not all mobility impaired have or are entitled to those badges. That makes them no less mobility impaired.

I would no problem at all in parking in a disabled spot in a private car park if any of the occupants of my vehicle had mobility problems. That would include, for example, someone who was having difficulties walking on crutches due to a broken leg.

Are they entitled to a blue badge - no

Are they mobility impaired - yes

Would the store expect them to walk any further distance than was necessary - probably not

Would a PPC slap a ticket on because I didn't have a blue badge on my car - probably yes

Would they collect on it - not a hope in hell.

Edited by RichardM

MBNA - Agreed to refund £970 in full without conditions. Cheque received Sat 5th Aug.:D

Lloyds - Settled for an undisclosed sum.:D

because it's asking for trouble and ends up in parking fines, and potentially inconveniences people who have legitimately obtaind the right to use such a space.

if things are that bad you go to the GP and get a badge.

Grrr. Disabled bays are mere grafitti on private land. Yes it's wrong to park in them if you can run a marathon, but it's equally wrong to try and 'fine' people using lies, threats and intimidation.

The fact you call them fines suggests to me that you need to spend some time researching what we're talking about here.

Grrr. Disabled bays are mere grafitti on private land. Yes it's wrong to park in them if you can run a marathon, but it's equally wrong to try and 'fine' people using lies, threats and intimidation.

The fact you call them fines suggests to me that you need to spend some time researching what we're talking about here.

i could call it a claim for damages following an alleged breach of contract, but it's slightly long-winded.

thanks for your input.

i could call it a claim for damages following an alleged breach of contract, but it's slightly long-winded.

thanks for your input.

Sorry mate - I misread and was under the impression your last post was from somebody else. Apologies.

Hi, have been reading this thread with interest. Have had a few dealings with Euro Parks in the past. Just to let you know if you do ignore then you may get a few letters from a DCA called Credit Control/Credit Account Management. They will send two letters then give up:D

Hi all

My old dear used an empty euro car park yesterday

As this is contract parking, the most they can claim is the amount they have lost which is the amount you would have had to pay to park there.

(She used a disabled bay which I don't think is chargable, so they lost nothing really).

(She used a disabled bay which I don't think is chargable, so they lost nothing really).

Can be - there is no obligation for it to be free.

My local Council even charges Blue Badge holders in some of its car parks.