BADMOTHER

Training new staff & responsibility?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3967 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I need some help with an issue at work.

I am a clerk working in a small office in a busy department, there are 2 other clerks all of us are part time. There has been a vacant post for 8 months or so and they recently employed a new clerk bringing us up to our full quota of 3, along with a team leader (who also has other duties within the department). I was horrified to realise that myself and the other existing clerk are expected to train both of these new staff without any (even temporary) recognition! After challenging this with the line manager and more recently the department manager, I was informed that there is a "buddy system" in the department. I have been employed here 4 years and never been aware of this, also the team leader, who is on a higher grade and pay, will eventually be responsible for this, and be appropriately paid!

I am considering taking out a formal grievance, but not sure of my full rights and employers responsibility!

Any advice would be appreciated!:?

First Direct ** WON ** :p

Isn't it everyone's responsibility to help the new folk and train them up? We get nothing extra for this (although it would be nice). Does your job description mention this at all?

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Not in my job description, although I would be happy to train new staff if I were being paid to. I can appreciate that new staff need to be orientated within the department, but that to me means showing them where the toilets are etc, not giving details about the standards and full details of the job, quality of service etc. This should come from a manager or someone with relevant supervisory skills....

First Direct ** WON ** :p

I am supposing that your employer feels that by all working together the new staff will become part of the 'team' quicker and will feel more a part of what is going on, rather than being trained outside of the group and then 'fed to the lions' at a later date. I agree that in principle a formal induction (H&S policy, tour of premises, fire procedures and outline of the business) should be carried out by a senior member of staff, indeed you may not be qualified to do so, but beyond that a new recruit will surely have a better appreciation of what is involved in the job by observing and gradually taking on tasks from colleagues who know best the day to day role? Would a manager or supervisor actually know how to do your job (for that is a common accusation in any organisation)?

By all means you have grounds to raise a grievance if it is not mentioned in your T&Cs (although I don't remember it actually being in mine either) but it could be considered slightly unreasonable. Naturally if this is going to involve considerable extra time or lost productivity then it adds weight to any request for more money, but don't hold your breath, for it may also be argued that having been understaffed for 8 months you will have less work to do once the new member of staff is up to speed.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!