• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HFC Marbles credit card SD - was dismissed as voluntary joint charge provided - now owed by Cabot - settled at home sale - was i overcharged?

I think the debt has been sold as the old entry has been marked as settled, so the new owners have now taken

over the registering of the debt.

I expect you will be getting contact in the near future until then there is not much you can do.

As soon as they do contact post up the details and help will be here.

Edited by BRIGADIER2JCS

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

If you are continuing to make the agreed repayments on the debt then any assignment I think has to honour that agreement.

Were you given a Judgement order from the court to confirm the Voluntary charge and nominal repayments ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think there is some guidance on the payments of existing

plans after assignment I'll see if I can find it.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

we are trying to see if they are the same group just at the next desk with a diff skirt on.

you say one shows settled, but now there is another debt marked owing?

this is not right

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I found it buried it's old but relevant .

Goes back a long way.

In guidance on debt.

A court should consider that if a debtor is already making payments by

arrangement that the creditor may agree to continue but may ask the court for variations

of amount and frequency of payments.

I can even give the history as this in not from a web sit but from an incomplete

archived document.

With regard to the 2 CRA entries, the OC has now Assigned the debt, so presumably has closed your files and marked as settled. A second CRA entry will then be put up for the same debt but by the Assignee, but it should contain all of the same information ie Default and Start dates as the original entry from the OC. What is confusing though, is if this has happened, why is the OC still accepting payments?

Could this be in house collections replacing the oc's company name?

• 2 years later...

UPDATE

Just found this on the OFT web site. http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/press_release_attachments/HFC-requirements.pdf

As my situation was before this ruling, but encompassed some of the items mentioned, large increase in sum owed, unreasonable behaviour (not responding to and denying receipt of "signed for" letters, etc.

Can I use this to remove charge.

Any Thoughts welcome.

Thanks t

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone!

On looking through posts generally, and specifically reading Brigadier2JCS's post no. 14 on here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/fowthread.php?431146-Grandfather-had-died-but-has-debts-what-to-do

it prompted me to ask a question.

Facts:

I have a charge in favour of a card provider on my house (debt incurred in my name, house in joint name with OH)

Charge was made before I found this site, and in response to SD and bankruptcy threats.

I was paying off regular amounts before charge, and after DN and have continued to pay monthly amounts, not missing any.

Payments are made directly to the card provider.

Since the charge, debt has been "assigned" twice, but I only have a solicitors word for this, nothing from the OC.

The charge is showing on the Land Registry site as being in favour of the OC.

My question is:

As the debt has been "assigned", in order for the charge to be effective, shouldn't the Land Registry details reflect the alleged current owner of the debt?

Surely a third party cannot claim a charge in this way?

Any advice and/or help welcome.

Thanks. t

you cant have a CO on a joint home

its only a restriction 

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You would be wise to check your credit ref. files to see who is registered as the owner of the debt.

The debt may have been "assigned" to a 3rd party for collection/management only.

These debt purchase companies, one of which claims to have been assigned the debt which is the subject of the Charging Order, can be a bit slow on the uptake.

However, their failure to update the Land Registry has no legal effect on the Order itself, even though it would be normal to request the Court to vary the judgement in favour of the new assignee, and then update the LR. If the previous assignee was paid accidentally then they would be obliged to pass the money to the new assignee.

It isn't quite correct to say that a CO cannot be made on jointly-owned property. It can, but it's unusual to request one because obtaining a Sale Order would be virtually impossible (the other joint owner has a right not to be disturbed).

If you jointly sell the property in the future then the CO will have to be satisfied from the OP's share of equity in the house, with the joint owner remaining unaffected. However, if the OP's equity is insufficient then the beneficiary of the CO could theoretically block the sale, so their permission should be sought beforehand.

If the debt is repaid before any sale then the CO should be removed and the LR record updated to its previous, unrestricted state.

• Confused 1

how old is the debt the CO concerns

ever looked at PPI/PENALTY charges reclaiming to reduce whats owed?

dx

and they

Debt not showing on files anymore, as over the time limit.

Last statement received was from 2nd assignee, though statement shows all payments which are being made to OC,

who the charge is registered to.

I have had letters from same solicitors, who have acted for OC as well as allegedly 1st and 2nd assignees saying words to the effect that " all benefits/conditions of debt now passed on to assignees, who now own the debt" I could look up exact wording if you think that relevant.

Indeed at one stage this one debt was being reported to the CRA's as three by the various parties!

Last "assignment" was made some considerable time ago, more than 1 year anyway.

Incidentally, the debt was shown as "satisfied" by the OC, when it was being reported to the CRA's.

Thanks for this, when it comes to sale, I will have to find an efficient solicitor/conveyancer. 

Debt dates from 2007. No PPI, tried for charges but refused, have not pursued this yet.

Thanks, what would be the best way to obtain please?

From the OC or their solicitor (who also acts for the assignees)?

Would I need to see both 1st and 2nd assignments?

I seem to remember reading on other threads on here that OC's (and presumably their agents/solicitors) refuse to provide or are very reluctant to provide actual copies of assignments to debtors.

This is slightly incorrect.

A CO cannot be placed on a jointly owned property.

It would be a Restriction and permission would not be needed to sell.

Also, although most people would satisfy the CO from the debtors share of the equity, not doing so would not prevent the sale if done properly and you have a good conveyancer who knows the law in this area. The creditor just needs to be notified, it's all about timing.

There's plenty of info on this on CAG if you read around this issue.

Plenty of people have sold property without paying the restriction.

thanks for confirming my thought

tedney - what was the original credit and who with got the CO against you and did they get an CCJ first.

name names tell us dates

dx

and they

Thanks for this.

However, the phrase on the Land Register is: "Charge dated ** *** 2007 in favour of HFC Bank Limited"

Would this still be described as a "restriction" please? 

The OC is Marbles, their solicitor, Weightmans, pushed for charging order by consent, which was granted in 2007 without a CCJ.

Debt was over £9K.

Wish I had known about CAG then.

t

oh god not hfc/weightmans.

you got done over there for sure.

did you ever send HFC an SAR to get all the statements - I bet 50%+ of that debt was PPI and unlawful PENALTY charges

and they

Here is the exact entry: Charges Register This register contains any charges and other matters that affect the land.

6. (15.06.2007) Charge dated 19 April 2007 in favour of HFC Bank Limited.

3 of first 5 entries pertain to matters concerning access rights over the property, and 2 concerning the original mortgage and the change of name of bank for the mortgage, not connected with entry number 6 stated above.

You are not wrong with your first statement.

W. did not respond to signed for letters, denied receipt of signed for letters, changed deadlines arbitrarily, even though I had complied with initial deadline.

Tried to add in excess of £1500 to the debt.

All this was BC = (before CAG)!

Yes, I had statements anyway, but I did SAR HFC, interestingly they were showing payments I made on the account even after the alleged "first assignment"

No PPI, some charges which they refused to reimburse

got their "we think they are lawful" response"

That was a few years ago now,

I have not pursued. t

Oh dear, then you've been had.

Bet they didn't explain the difference between CO and Restrictions.

They've made this into a joint debt, very devious of them.

I'd try and have it removed if possible.

Have you still got a copy of what you both signed.

Wat did it say?

• Confused 1