Letter to NON Account Holder demanding money, reporting to credit agencies...

mar_uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am new, and never dealt with this sort of issues, and would appreciate if you could help.

I have received a letter out of nowhere on 22/01/2009 dated 16/01/2009 stating that Lloyd TSB has “...a request from a third party asking us to change the address of account(s)...with “Changes to Customer Address” form enclosed. I do not have an account with Lloyd TSB group and naturally was very concerned as it could be a fraud or date protection issue or even a [problem].

After few calls to Lloyd TSB Customer Service and Collection Centre (whose best advice was to ignore the letter), I was forced to visit your Charing Cross Branch. The branch could not find my details on the system, and therefore called the Collection Centre, and “0800 121 4087” and established it was sent in, what Lloyd TSB describes, an ERROR. The Personal Banker took the initiative and confirmed this in writing as Collection Centre person refused to do so. I thought that was the end.

But when I returned from work I opened a letter dated 20/01/2009 from Sechiari Clark & Mitchell who has been “... instructed by Lloyds TSB Bank plc...” who advised them that “...despite several reminders ...account remains out of order...”. This is contrary to the fact that up until now, I have only received two letters in space of two days, one to request the change of address, which I have never sent, and of course, the letter from the solicitor.

Contrary to the first letter, this had an ‘Cheque Account Number” and therefore, immediately called 0845 600 6294 to establish whether there was a link between my address and the account. Aron refused to discuss about the account due to data protection, and advised me to call the Customer Service, who in turn advised me to go the branch.

First thing on morning of 24/01/2009, I visited Lloyd TSB Bethnal Green Branch, and after some persuasion, SK, the manager, decided to investigate. He retrieved account details, and established the followings from thier system:

(1) Account was created in 2007

(2) first name, last name and date of birth is similar to mine but

(3) the middle name , address and telephone numbers are different.

There was no reference on the system to my address.

He called the Account Holder, who confirmed that it is his account, unaware of letters being sent to him and has requested to change the address to somewhere else. SK advised the Account Holder to call the Collection Centre to pay his debt.

He then called the Collection Centre and spoke to Danny who as usual was unsure but it seems that the Collection Centre database has my address on the system. Danny realising the inconsistency between two systems has put the account on a ‘tracer’.

Mr SK has confirmed this in hand writing, and took my full details including my first, middle, and last name, mobile number, home number, full address, date of birth and will get back to me once he has reported to the Fraud Team on 25/01/2009.

I would like to write a letter hoping to establish whether it is a fraud or an error. In either case, I never signed anything so I want to find out how Lloyd TSB managed the whole process from account creation to change of address to me receiving the letter (i.e was it accordance with the law).

If it is an error, where did they get my address? I did not send the change of address letter so why have they passed this to a solicitor? There are too many inconsistencies, etc.

I also think they are making me chase them for their mistake or incompetence. It is harassment and wants to get compensation for all this. It is costing me telephone calls, time, anxiety....

Please Help,

Thanks,

Mar

Edited by mar_uk
no response, so making it shorter

As it stands you will not be able to get much in the way of compensation especially as you are not a customer with them.

However if they have put the any of the details on your credit file, that opens up a whole new line of attack. First thing will be to get a copy of your credit file and see what, if anything, the bank has put there.

The most likely explanation though is that they have an existing customer who has similar details to yourself. That customer then changed his address and when they founf your details , being similar, the bank thought you were their lost customer.

Also make a complaint to the ICO.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.