• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bright House Help Needed Fast

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5548 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My partener went to bright house today to get a new bed and matress When she got home i asked her to for the contract to look at Once i read Though it Had service cover that Raise the price by £500+ for it i have read some post on here saying that it optinal and you dont after tqake it out if you dont want to So what can i do or should i do ?

Do i after have service cover and damarge liability cover

And why the extra £500+ on the bed frame what would it be with out the Cover?

Matress

• A- total amount Credit £183.02
  • B- Apr 29.9%
  • C- Weeks 52

• D- Total amount paybale £207.48 weekly payments £3.99

• K- service cover £2.15 weekly (Tick)
  • L- Danage Liability 92p Weekly (tick)
  • M- the total of the weekly payment set out in D,K And L £7.06
  • N- total amount payble (52 payment of £7.06) £367.12

picturefl7.jpg

Bed frame

• A- total amount Credit £432.38
  • B- Apr 29.9%
  • C- Weeks 156

• D- Total amount paybale £622.44 weekly payments £3.99

• K- service cover £2.15 weekly (Tick)
  • L- Danage Liability 92p Weekly (tick)
  • M- the total of the weekly payment set out in D,K And L £7.06
  • N- total amount payble (156 payment of £7.06) £1101.36

picture2tz5.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark

Yes you can cancel the OSC, details of how to do it can be found here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/brighthouse/130871-cag-brighthouse-consumer-fact.html

Although, under the terms of this particular agreement, you have no right to cancel, I would seriously consider going into the branch on Monday morning and play your face, saying you didn't want the OSC in the first place, so can they just stop the agreement and do it again without.

Let's face it you haven't had the goods yet!!

If you wish to cancel the DLC, you can use the same letter as the OSC cancelling letter, just reword OSC with DLC accordingly. You need to have your own household contents insurance beforehand, and it needs to state that it covers goods in your home that are not owned by you but subject to Hire Purchase that you are responsible for.

Hope this helps

PJ

Edited by plumberjon
forgot a bit!

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

No because you dont have house contents insurance, their terms state that you have to have DLC. It protects future payments on the item if it is damaged beyond repair etc.

The OSC is Optional Service Cover, like it says on the tin, it's optional. On a bed and mattress, I could never understand why they did it, it's nothing short of ridiculous.

The condition states "NEW", so any product fault issues after 12 months would be covered under the Supply of Goods (implied terms) Act 1979 (or is it 1973? one of them anyway)

PJ

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

Why the extra £500. Well that's the $6million question, and that's why we are here to give advice to unsuspecting BH customers!

It's a way they can make hoodles of profit for doing precisely sod all!

Oh by the way, welcome to the CAG forums, hope my advice helps!

PJ

IT says on there you have no right to cancel this agreement under the consumer credit act 1974 ? is that right i thought all agreements had a cooling off period.

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

This is the letter you need: (a nod to Lefty)

Dear Sir

I am writing to give the required 7 days notice, as detailed in my agreement(s) that I wish to cancel all "optional" service cover on the above product(s). To simplify matters, I have today (date) presented a copy of this letter to the store manager of Brighthouse (Branch), which has been duly acknowledged, so 7 days notice shall commence at the date of this letter.

As stated in my agreement:

“Your Obligations: Optional Service Cover

Section C (b) The service cover premium is renewable each time your regular instalment is due under the agreement. If the premium is not paid Service Cover will lapse.

Section H (3) This policy shall continue in force until you give seven days notice…”

I shall, therefore, be making my next payment on (day) at Brighthouse (branch). This payment will not include "optional" service cover.

I understand that I may be required to sign a revised agreement. I will only do this on the firm understanding that all payments made previously on this agreement are reflected in any revised agreement. I do not waive any of my rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement.

Kind Regards

You

The agreement looks identical to mine, so it is possible to cancel OSC. It's paid weekly, hence the 7 days cancellation.

I would also recommend you look in to getting house insurance, as the premiums you pay on that far outweigh any of Brighthouse's premiums. Plus, if you were unfortunate to be burgled, their DLC cover WILL NOT replace your goods. It just means the rest of the balance will be wrote off. Not very useful, especially if you are down to the last few pounds owing.

No unfortunately you don't.

The reason is because YOU walked in to THEIR store on your OWN volition and SIGNED.

Because of these factors, the law states that you therefore weren't under direct pressure, and you had the same opportunity to walk out of the store as you did to walk in, in the first place!

But like they say, the law is an ASS!! Because this doesn't protect you if you are mis-sold to!

PJ

The condition states "NEW", so any product fault issues after 12 months would be covered under the Supply of Goods (implied terms) Act 1979 (or is it 1973? one of them anyway)

PJ

Depending on the reasonable time the product is expected to last. It can be up to 6 years....(it's 1973 btw).

Yes Mark

Once the OSC is taken off the total amount payable will also drop. It wll then only be a sum of the cash price + interest + DLC.

PJ

Depending on the reasonable time the product is expected to last. It can be up to 6 years....(it's 1973 btw).

Thanks C

I knew I could count on you to correct me!!! :p

This is Brighthouse - but nevermind, this will take us off topic :D

I know, I know, hence why I mentioned that it doesn't protect you from being mis-sold!

:cool:

Thanks How should I contact about this As i Havent recived the Bed yet as it was only today My wife went in the shop Do i contact Head office And ask for it to be token of or Do i get mY wfe to go back to the Local shop and Ask to right Up a new Agreemant as they said they gonna ring in the week to arrange delivery Time

I recommend you try and go into the store on Monday, in person rather than on phone, it's harder for them to put up a fight if you go in.

The agreement will only be 2 days old!

PJ

But if you can, print off that letter above and take it with you, in case they play awkward and don't do it the easy way by just cancelling and re-starting the agreements. You will need one letter per agreement, don't lump them onto one.

Just send the letter I have shown above. Send it to Head Office and your branch by recorded delivery.

Also (and I'm sure PJ will correct me), if Brighthouse don't deliver within 7 days, you can cancel the agreement. They are under obligation to deliver within this time frame, unless otherwise stated.

This is true Clemma, and I always recommend putting everything in writing, but I honestly think the best course of action, under the circumstances, is to go in in person.

But take the letters with you, go prepared in other words.

Yer My wife just said that they told her When she sign the agreemant that the woman that was doin the contract said That she can cancel this OSC after a couple of months and the total price will drop :? But after 7 days you cant do that can you as the contract as been left to long ? or can you

Loads head work when i seen this contact I thoguh ***** nealy £1500 just for a bed I raver sleep on the floor Haha

@ PJ Yep, that'll work as well. If the staff are unhelpful, then bung the letter in the post. Either way, you'll get the OSC removed.

Am I right about the cancellation thing as well. If not, I will delete that part of my post.

Yer My wife just said that they told her When she sign the agreemant that the woman that was doin the contract said That she can cancel this OSC after a couple of months and the total price will drop :? But after 7 days you cant do that can you as the contract as been left to long ? or can you

Loads head work when i seen this contact I thoguh ***** nealy £1500 just for a bed I raver sleep on the floor Haha

BH were talking rubbish. The OSC is worth a lot of money to them. Follow the advice given by plumberjohn and myself and you won't go wrong.

Now there's one that keeps on cropping up!!

They just want you to go home and eventually forget about the OSC and let their profits keep piling up. How else do you think they afford these £7million mansions?

On and existing agreement you can cancel the OSC at any time in writing and it should take no longer than 7 days.

In this case I would go in on Monday, play your face, and ask to have the agreements terminated, started again without the OSC and be cheeky enough to ask for your money back on the OSC that she paid as her first weeks payment, if she paid anything.

PJ

Yer she paid £16.14 today

this is also what i dident get Matress was £7.06 also was the frame but they ask for 16.14 Not 14.14 :confused:

I right a letter out now read just incase and she go In the Monday

I can't work that out either. I've read your agreements, and I agree it should be £14.12 a week - any ideas Jon?

Glad we could help, and please come back online on Monday and tell us how it went.

Take care

PJ