style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5527 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had bailiffs (Marston Group) visiting for a congestion charge fine. They visited twice. The actual fine was £185 which I do not dispute but failed to pay as I just didn't have the money.

On the 2nd visit they warned that they would be back to take goods...still there was nothing I could do.

Then yesterday morning I woke up at 6.30am to the sound of a large vehicle outside. I looked out of the window and they had my car on the back of a truck! I ran downstairs and spoke to them and they said I had to pay £775.73 or they would take it. I had no choice. I can't be without a car. I phoned my Mum and she paid it on her credit card but I only did that because I had no other choice.

I'm so angry that these people are allowed to do this. It's so unfair! The fine was £185 and I had every intention of paying it. Where did the extra charges come from and what are they for??? Are thay allowed to do this to people who are clearly already struggling financially???....I now cannot pay other bills because I will have to pay my Mum back the money (with interest probably because it will take me ages. Is there anything I can do?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Did the bailiff provide a Notice of Seizure of Goods and Inventory and in which case what were the charges?

It is very important that you get a breakdown. If you do get this can you post here please.

In any event, these fees are simply WRONG and I am shocked that Marston are charging this amount.

Did the bailiff provide proof that he was certificated and did you see a copy of the warrant of execution?

I am shocked that Marston are charging this amount.

TT, I don't believe you! You've been in this business long enough to know that this type of behaviour is quite normal.

:):)

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

When I opened the door on the morning they had my car on the truck they handed me a Notice of Seizure of Goods and Inventory (I think they were going to post it through the door).

This was the first I knew about them taking my car and they wrote on it that the vehicle had been impounded...they were about to take and had already written that.

Previous to this the bailiff had visited twice. On the first occasion the amount owing was 399.06. On the second occasion the amount had gone up to 474.28 and he gave a final notice.

The charges of the final amount are listed as:

Penalty Charge inc court fee - £185

Bailiffs attendance costs - £335.56

Attendance to Remove - £184.50

VAT - 48.08

Card Handling Fee - 22.59

TOTAL - 775.73

Any advice would be appreciated. Myself and my partner are both self employed and struggle to make ends meet. We have two small children and a whole load of bills to pay!

Something like this will seriously affect us financially. It will mean that we will fall behind with other payments and bills.

I don't dispute that we owe the fine, but these other charges just seem so unfair. Why are these people allowed to do this? Its wrong!

TT, I don't believe you! You've been in this business long enough to know that this type of behaviour is quite normal.

:):)

You are quite right about this...and long enough to know that this company were in Court recently and the Judgment was only handed down 3 weeks ago and the Judge made it VERY CLEAR that bailiff's CANNOT charge a fee to immobilise a vehicle and he went even further by saying that the fee was UNLAWFUL. That is why I am SURPRISED that this company would CONTINUE charging these fees.

The fees charged are NOT CORRECT. You need to write to the company to ask for a detailed explanation for the charges that they have made to you.

I wouldn't know where to start with regards to complaining and I have no idea whether these amounts of charges are allowed or not. I have made various phonecalls to numbers given to me by the CAB but have been told that I am not entitled to free legal advice.

I'm in the process of writing to the Marston Group re. charges. I'll keep you posted.

I have been told by the Financial Ombudsman the it's my local council that regulate these bailifs so I will send a copy of my letter to them.

Thanks for replies x