style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

PLEASE HELP!!

I am dissabled & we rent a property privately & my daughter & her family came to live with us last year. We agreed on a joint tenancy & to pay half each rent etc. I get housing benefit ( but not the full amount to cover my rent )which goes straight to landlady. The landlord put our rent up when my daughter moved in by £400 per month , (we sought legal advice from solicitor CAB & fare rents officer as we didn't agree with the amount but unbelievably they all told us he could charge what he wanted)

My daughter also got rent rebate but got the cheques sent straight to her bank.

We did everything legaly & told whoever concerned they had moved in but unfortunatley & mainly because we couldn't afford the higher rent of £1000per month it didn't work out & they just came home one day packed everything & up & left.

Unfortunalty while we were trying to get all the rent sorted out while she lived here we got into arrears with the rent but also my daughter haddn't been paying all her half & has left us with her owing over £900. we still owe some rent arrears but can sort that eventually but now the land lady has said we have to pay my daughters arrears as well.

Can anyone help please as we don't think it is our responsibility.

we all signed the tenency agreement so surely the landlady should chace my daughter for it.

thanks

brenda

we all 4 signed the tenancy agreement , myself & husband & my daughter & her husband, I have it here so do they have to pay their own arrears as the landlady is threatening us with eviction if we don't pay it all which is rediculous. & thanks for answering so quickly, this is a brilliant helpfull sight, I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to answer it's such a great help

thanks

brenda

If you've all signed the agreement, it's most likely that you are indeed jointly and severally liable for the arrears. With individual tenancies, each tenant is responsible for their own rent, but with joint tenancies, all of the tenants are together responsible for all of the rent, meaning the landlady is within her rights to approach any of you and ask for it all.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941