Plasma TV Broken - Can i get any help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, My plasma TV has broke literally 13 months after I purchased it.

I bought the TV initially off harban electronics, it is a 50inch and it came with a 1 year warranty.

Now as you know it's one month outta warranty.

Is there anything I can do?

Im sure I have the recipt somewhere but should this be such a problem if I don't? They do know me in there as I have purchase a few TVs from them over the past year for family as presents.

Thanks

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the TV initially off harban electronics, it is a 50inch and it came with a 1 year warranty.

Im sure I have the recipt somewhere but should this be such a problem if I don't? They do know me in there as I have purchase a few TVs from them over the past year for family as presents.

Thanks

Phill

Have you approached them to repair it for you?

I have a Panasonic Plasma which went faulty twice, the first time it was repaired by Panasonic on goodwill, the second time it was outside warranty. I wrote to the manager of the shop holding them in breach of the Sale of Goods Act. I'm still waiting for a reply. I have also prepared papers for the small claims court to be issued on Wednesday and have written to my credit card company holding them jointly liable under the consumer credit act. It is not reasonable according to the law that a television should only last for 13 months. Go to the Consumer direct Website - Consumer Direct Know your rights.

Remember, it is the shop that sold you the goods that are liable under the law NOT the manufacturer. If they give you any bull about having to get permission from the manufacturer get consumer direct to report them to Trading Standards.

Good Luck

Have you approached them to repair it for you?

I have a Panasonic Plasma which went faulty twice, the first time it was repaired by Panasonic on goodwill, the second time it was outside warranty. I wrote to the manager of the shop holding them in breach of the Sale of Goods Act. I'm still waiting for a reply. I have also prepared papers for the small claims court to be issued on Wednesday and have written to my credit card company holding them jointly liable under the consumer credit act. It is not reasonable according to the law that a television should only last for 13 months. Go to the Consumer direct Website - Consumer Direct Know your rights.

Remember, it is the shop that sold you the goods that are liable under the law NOT the manufacturer. If they give you any bull about having to get permission from the manufacturer get consumer direct to report them to Trading Standards.

Good Luck

wasting your time if you dont have an engineers report & can prove it's a manu fault under SOGA 'unfit for purpose' . your agruement is with the manu not the point of sale.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks

Phill

as suggested, i would approach the point of sale as you have a rapour? with them.

do you know what the fault is & have you researched to see if it is a known problem that has occured with others too?

see what the shop says first.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

wasting your time if you dont have an engineers report & can prove it's a manu fault under SOGA 'unfit for purpose' . your agruement is with the manu not the point of sale.

dx

I'm sure, in due course I will be supplying the shop with an independent report that the fault was, in all probability caused by a fault at the time of sale. I'm not going to pay for the report before Panasonic agree to replace it though. That would be just throwing money away. If they dispute my initial contact, the small claims court will be used and that is the time for engineers reports.

That is the advice of Consumer direct and Trading Standards anyway.

I'm sure, in due course I will be supplying the shop with an independent report that the fault was, in all probability caused by a fault at the time of sale. I'm not going to pay for the report before Panasonic agree to replace it though. That would be just throwing money away. If they dispute my initial contact, the small claims court will be used and that is the time for engineers reports.

That is the advice of Consumer direct and Trading Standards anyway.

i'll wait for you to start your own thread before i reply.

dx

and they

The sales of goods act 1979 covers goods in England dependant on the cost and the expectation of how long it should last. I would expect a plasma tv costing a reasonable amount to last longer than a year. It is the retailers responsibility to offer a suitable remedy which could include repair or replacement.

If the shop fails to sort out your problem, the next course of action is to write them a letter, to head office, quoting the sales of goods act 1979 'That goods should last a reasonable amount of time and be fit for purpose'. Send it recorded mail keeping a copy. Give them 14 days to reply. If they do not reply send them another letter stating that if they do not offer you a suitable remedy you will take it further.

How did you pay for the TV, what make and model is it?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

As I've already said, if it goes to court, I will have one to submit.

Thats fair enough, but have you given the seller the report/chance to rectify the problem?

I can get a report from my best mate (he's a TV engineer) saying whatever I want. You still need to give the company that sold you the TV the chance to resolve the problem.

Jogs