• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BrightHouse - In the News!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

This thread is a platform to list all the publicity surrounding BrightHouse. It is a fair platform, in as much as it will list all publicity, for or against BrightHouse, as CAG actively encourages a balanced debate.

Below is a list of links, in chronological order, starting with the most recent. There maybe more, and if they are relevant, then please feel free to post them here.

IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS ANY POST ON THIS THREAD, OR HAVE COMMENTS ON A PIECE OF NEWS, THEN PLEASE START A NEW THREAD. THANK YOU.

19th January 2009 - Financial Times – FT.com / UK - BrightHouse shines in rental boom

18th January 2009 - You vultures! | News | News Of The World

29th December 2008 - Times BrightHouse gets strong signal that everyone wants a TV - Times Online

17th November 2008 - Financial Times - FT.com / Companies / Travel & Leisure - BrightHouse proving recession-proof

21st July 2008 - Financial Times - FT.com / Companies / Travel & Leisure - BrightHouse proving recession-proof

February 2006 - Debt on Our Doorstep - Debt on Our Doorstep - Brighthouse Campaign

February 2005 - Debt on Our Doorstep - Debt on Our Doorstep - News

16th September 2003 - Times - You have to be rich to lead a life of poverty | Libby Purves - Times Online

21st May 2003 - BBC Working Lunch - BBC NEWS | Programmes | Working Lunch | Debt problems escalate

10th May 2003 - Debt on Our Doorstep - Debt on Our Doorstep - News

7th December 2002 - Times - Few restrictions on doorstep lenders - Times Online

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

And if you want to see what BrightHouse have to say themselves, then click below to see their own press release site. Mind you, you would be forgiven for thinking that it was a bit "one-sided" on their press site!!

Brighthouse Press Centre : Covering Brighthouse in the News » About BrightHouse

Found this link after trawling through the BH press office site:

Birmingham Post - Business - Business News - Other UK business news - BrightHouse planning major expansion in Birmingham

Edited by plumberjon

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

Interesting site here from the US, dedicated to the Rent To Own business!

Scary eh?

UK's BrightHouse focuses on customers in credit starved economy

Rent-to-own News - British RTO company looks to U.S. for software, industry insight

Edited by plumberjon

This one made me smile...

Workers Sarnie Barny Nightmare

I can't understand why this story isn't in the BrightHouse Press Centre... After all, it's only BrightHouse doing what they do best! :D

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

maybe thats why they take all them extra charges

customers account was "OUT OF DATE IN PAYMENTS" so we just take some more cash from them :roll::roll::roll:

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

kiptower

IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS ANY POST ON THIS THREAD, OR HAVE COMMENTS ON A PIECE OF NEWS, THEN PLEASE START A NEW THREAD. THANK YOU.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

BrightHouse gives slip to high street turmoil

New tech boss for home retailer - Retail & Leisure - Breaking Business and Technology News at silicon.com

Press Releases | Press Release Distribution | Submit Press Release - BrightHouse Christmas Trading Update

Small quote from the third link (from Mr McKee)

Our Optional Service Cover provides customers with full protection against breakdown and enables customers to return products at any time without penalty.

:lol:

Edited by clemma

A small quote from a long winded article

BRIGHTHOUSE SHINES IN RENTAL BOOM

BrightHouse, owned by private equity firm Vision Capital, saw its underlying revenue increase 13.5 per cent year-on-year in the 13 weeks to December 28. The group, which rents high-end goods to people who cannot get credit, also saw its revenue increase 18.7 per cent to reach 41.7 million pounds in the same period. Vision Capital explained the recession has little effect on its income because its customers are already poor and credit-starved.

Full article here

Do I detect just a teeny bit of spin in this one? Did the NoTW article rattle their cage a little perhaps..?

BrightHouse's Leo McKee: Safe As Houses

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Text below taken from the "Our View" section of the NOTW.

NEWS OF THE WORLD - SUNDAY 18TH JANUARY 2009

"House of the Rising Sum"

HOW low can you get? Not much lower than BrightHouse, we'd suggest.

The outfit we expose today exploits the poor and preys on the vulnerable.

In credit crunch Britain the chain store and finance group offers schemes to "help" struggling families buy household goods on the never-never.

But once "extras" are thrown in a £294 washing machine can end up costing an extortionate £722.

Sure, alerts may lie in the small print. But dealing with BrightHouse can result in gloom and despair.

They should be forced to carry a health warning.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Check out this article from a 11th Feb. Nothing like a bit of cultural stereotyping!!!

Chain thrives in hard times - nebusiness.co.uk

PJ

• 4 weeks later...

This will make "the powers that be" a little more comfortale, should things get a little hot under the collar.

Or will it?

Press Releases | Press Release Distribution | Submit Press Release - BrightHouse successfully placed in Sunday Times Buyout Track

PJ

And now they are going to try and get un-employment back below 2 million!!!

Press Releases | Press Release Distribution | Submit Press Release - BrightHouse trial with learndirect

And now they are going to try and get un-employment back below 2 million!!!

Just as long as they don't help to educate their customers to the point that they realise they are being ripped off!

things will eventually come back to bite brighthouse in the ass, just look at welcome finance, they are on the verge of going under and its down to there poor business model of ripping people off and of course.. bad accounting.

• 1 month later...

The BBC Breakfast News Report is @ YouTube - Bright House BBC News Story on 14 May 2009

Sorry for the bad quality but I had to use my Blackberry to record the TV screen lol.

The Radio program is on Radio 1 at 12.45 today.

Check out the threads below for updates on the DCA's that I am dealing with.

GE Money/CL Finance/Howard Cohen & Co - AND - Aktiv Kapital/Appleton Massey Solicitors - IN COURT

Cabot x 2 for Vanquis & Hitatchi - DEFAULTED ON CCA REQUEST

Lowell for Capital One - CANCELLED DEBT!! Trying to get Default removed now

Moorcroft x 2 for Halifax Loan & Bank Account - RETURNED TO HALIFAX

Wescot for Halifax Bank Account - RETURNED TO HALIFAX

Cap Quest for Argos Card - RETURNED TO ARGOS

I just caught the end of the report on Newsbeat...something about calls for Brighthouse to investigated due to their bullying and harrassement on customers who have missed payments. Former employee admits deception and lies to get in to customers homes to reprosses goods. Brighthouse statement denies this and states reprossession only as a last option.

As i said, i didn't quite catch it all, but here's the Newsbeat Page, which hasn't been updated yet, though should do shortly.

Hopefully there maybe a 'contact us with your story' link.

Edit:

Page now been updated with report and can be read from HERE.

Saw it as it was aired this morning, nothing surprising, they had an ex employee who has turned whistle-blower.

You get the general idea they are accused of selling defective equipment at massively inflated prices to an already struggling populace, hitting them with extortionate interest rates and then using medieval tactics to collect from errant debtors.

Same old same old, you can blame the company, or the country that allows them to operate without sanctions, hopefully the more people who shout about them the quicker their bubble will be "popped"

Hi all

As a former Brighthouse employee I started with the company as an Account Rep and progressed on to be a Store Manager so I know all aspects of the business and all the things they dont want you to know and I left due to the way they wanted me to treat customers. If anyone has any questions, queries or concerns I would be happy to help :)