Do i have to renew subscription?

Bearmaggie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5567 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been a member of a small gym for over a year now. I haven't managed to attend for a few weeks but when i returned this week and asked for an additional car pass (partner shares care, so sometimes have to use work car) i was advised that until i sign a new 12 month contract, that they will not give me a car pass. The thing is, they'd introduced new parking passes and they had advised me to bring my old one in and they would give me a new one plus an additional one that i needed. They have refused to give me a parking pass until i sign a new contract. The price has gone up slightly (by about £1.50 per month).

My question is: I've still got a standing order set up, which continues to come out of my bank account, and they've not written to me or tried to amend/stop payments, or let me know that my contract has expired. Do i have to sign up to a new contract, or can i continue to just pay my subscription monthly without signing a contract? Where do i stand? Surely they can't force me to sign a contract? Or can they by saying i wouldn't be allowed to attend they gym?

Hi BM,

You'd have to check the T&C's of the contract which I assume you signed.

Have you asked them to point out exactly where it states in your contract that you must renew it. I assume if you renew, you'll be tied into another 12 month (or longer) contract.

It may be reasonable for you to renew if you want a 2nd car pass, but not to get the new replacement pass.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I've checked the contract. It does not mention anything about renewal, or having to renew. The only thing it does mention is:

"Renewal at the current club fee rate will be available to all customers rejoining prior to expiration of the membership'. The rest is all amount payments and late payments. It seems to be more like a credit agreement rather than a contract.

So would i have to sign a new contract? Or just request that i pay on a monthly basis without signing anything?

If you have a standing order, it would be you who controlled this, not them - so once your monthly payments had been completed, you could choose to renew, or cancel. If you are making payments for the new year, then I would expect them to assume you have agreed to tke on a further years membership.

I think you should decide if you want to continue with your membership and what you want from them. Then go to the gym and see if they agree to what you want.

If they can provide the service you want at a reasonable cost, all is well. Make them show you where the contract says you must do this, or that.

If they want to impose conditions that you're not happy with, you may gave to cancel your membership but, be warned, they may want you to give 1 to 3 month's notice, during which time they'll expect you to pay.

If you decide to cancel, check the contract for deatails of how they expect you to cancel. Do it in writing and by Rec'd Del'y if nec'y.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)