Prepay meter switched supplier - incorrect tarriff?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5571 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a prepay key meter in my flat. I was with EDF and according to my key meter I was being charged 13p per Kwh at rate 1 (it was actually 13.3p or something similar).

I consulted Uswitch. The best deal was with Eon who charge 9.74p per Kwh, this was confirmed in welcome letter I received from Eon. I have gone through the switch process, received my new key, topped up with new key (presenting the letter at the top up shop as instructed) and I have checked my key meter and it says I'm now on 15.6p per Kwh at rate 1! What happened to 9.74p per Kwh?

I'm going to give Eon a call tomorrow but does anyone have an idea why this might be?

Spoke to someone at Eon today who passed me to a guy in the prepayment department. He seemed completely clueless!

He said that they haven't received my meter details yet and I'm not due to switch over to Eon until 22nd Jan which is in two days time. He said to insert the key again on 22nd Jan and the new Eon rate should show. confused-smiley-013.gif

This seems nonsense to me. Why would they have sent me the new key and instructions for usage and not mentioned the fact that I shouldn't use it before 22nd Jan? He said the 15.5p rate showing in the keymeter was the old suppliers rate. This is incorrect because my old supplier was 13.3p. He had no answer for this.

He was also mumbling something about sending the new rate to the meter as if this could somehow be done using a direct data connection. Maybe he was thinking of using telekinesis eusa_think.gif .Unless I'm mistaken the only way to send data to the keymeter is via the keycard after a top-up has been made.

To be honest I wish I'd never bothered now. I always thought switching energy suppliers was a waste of time and I think I'm being proved right.

I shall just have wait until 22nd Jan and see what happens but I got the distinct feeling I was being fobbed off. Why can't these call centre operators just say "I don't know" when they don't know - would save a whole lot of hassle. At least then you could ask to speak with someone who does know. :-x

Hi, just to let you know that the same thing happened when I moved from BG to ebico. I received my key card about 5 days before I received aletter saying when they were due to take over supply. Did as you did and put it in early and no change to tariff but once change over day came did same again and now on tariff should be on. It could be your old supplier had hiked up their prices and this info was put on card and thus the increase in charge. If after the 22nd you put the key in and don't notice the tariff change then call them again.