Cancellation due to service cannot be provided?

nick_morris

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4904 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

Hopefully a quick question/answer for you lovely people in here. My friend currently has sky and is within his first 12 months contract. However he is due to move soon and the new place he will be renting cannot have sky due to a dish not allowed to be installed (the block of flats have virgin and not sky installed communally). How does he stand with regard to cancelling and not being screwed over the remaining period of the contract? Not seen the t&cs myself but surely they have to cancel with just the 30 days notice due to no service able to be provided at the new place? Just seeing what people have done before with regard to this.

Cheers,

Nick

Play dumb. As he's moving, they would be happy to transfer service to the new address as part of his contract. They actually boast that they can provide services to flats, so he will naturally assume that's no problem for them. In the fullness of time, it may transpire that there is not a compatible distribution system but that won't be his problem. It may be worthwhile to at least mention he's going to a flatted development, but it is better if their installer returned with a 'no install possible' than him telling them this in advance!

Hi, I had a similar problem whilst I was in the first 12 months contract with Sky. I was more than happy with their TV service, and informed them that I would be moving, and I would like to transfer my account to my new address and continue receiving Sky. However, I moved to the 3rd floor of a block of flats, and when their "special heights" team came out to install the dish, the engineer told me his ladders weren't long enough??? I even tried a private company to come out and fit it, they said that whilst it was perfectly feasible for them to fit, it would be much better to terminate the contract on the account that Sky could not provide me with their services at my new address. It took a couple of months of repeating the same argument to Sky who were adamant that I still had to pay the full 12 months contract, but I just stood my ground and told them no and they eventually saw common sense.;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Right a quick update is we're trying the playing dumb trick and asking to move to the new place but they are quoting the stupid £60 installation fee whether they can do it or not. Surely they can't do that if they can't provide an installation? Will be going down the lines of the managers and cancellation teams to see if anymore joy from them.

On a slight side note, does anyone know if sky have a database of all houses capable of having sky (e.g had it previously or flats have the communal dish). Silly first line support say they don't (then again they are usually idiots from experience!) but i don't believe that for a second.

Cheers,

Nick

Somne pointers. The £60 installation fee is not charged if they cannot install. They're not going to assume they cannot do it, when they've millions of customers who can! A database of the type you describe would not exist, and being practical would have limited value.

Sure they have a database of those who are already recieving (paying) for Sky services, but the guy at 13 Aacia Avenue may have a clear line of sight, but the chap at 15 has a fast growing conifer in his garden, that will - in around 4 years, be tall enough to block the signal. Cable companies can tell you, as they know (usually) where their infrastructure is, but with so many variables - new buildings, council prohibitions, moving gasometers etc, they're not going to say that there's no service until one of their installers has been round to try it.