CBT for stopping smoking

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4496 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I stopped smoking 3 years ago using a book called 'stop smoking and stay stopped' which uses cognitive behaviourhal therapy techniques.

It's on Amazon if anyone wants to read the reviews.

I thought i'd post how it went for me and hopefully it will encourage others through the first few difficult weeks.

It took me around 10 weeks to get over feeling grumpy and wanting a ciggerate, the gist is that after reading the book you make a list of all the reasons you want to stop as in the benefits it brings and every time you have a craving you read the list outloud to yourself and remind yourself that you have a choice whether to smoke or not.

(i think this is a typical cbt technique but i dont really know to much about it)

Over time the brain starts to make new associations, e.g instead of having a ciggerate after a meal, not having a ciggeratte after a meal and it gets easier.

Previously i'd been to an Allen Carr session which worked for a few months, but not long-term - and it was very expensive.

However 3 years ago i lost a close relative to a smoking related illness and i vowed to give up as it caused so much pain in my family, i didnt want to put anyone who loved me through that.

It still wasnt easy but fortuantely my partner didnt smoke and was very understanding.

Good luck everyone!

Successfully claimed £620 from MBNA

Successfully claimed £350 from Natwest

Assisted other half to claim £820 from Barclays

Helped a friend claim back approx £250 from Halifax.