• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Brighthouse and telephone harassment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There have been several refernces to this on the forum. However none of it is supported by evidence as far as I can see.

I would suggest that Brighthouse's behaviour might better be described as "persistent telephoning" and even then you need to have evidence to support what you say.

Evidence includes properly logged calls, notes of times, dates conversations, caller's numbers etc.

Best of all, of course is recordings of telephone calls. (See our review section for a selection of telephone recorders - Truecall is the best, although pricey).

I think that all of this kind of evidence is essential if one is going to make allegations and certainly if one is going to make a formal complaint of harassment.

I thought that the NOTW article was very bland. I can imagine that a lot was edited out at the last moment - but we'll never know.

It didn't disclose any particular wrongdoing by Brighthouse. It merely highlighted a company which is pretty aggressive about making profits.

I don't like Brighthouse's style but I saw nothing in the NOTW piece which struck me as being against the law.

I can imagine that some of the people who assisted the NOTW in the preparation of the article might be quite disappointed.

If you feel that you are able to identify wrong-doing by Brighthouse or by any other company, you must collect your evidence and be satisfied that it would be sufficient to support a complaint to Trading Standards or to the courts.

Please do bear this in mind at all times.

This is exactly it!

I have said this many times and like I said in the sticky "Credit crunch vultures":

"The gloves are off, but we now need to make sure that everything we say and do is totally squeeky clean and in line with the law".

In my very first post on here when I joined in October 2008, I also stated:

"PLEASE BE AWARE! I AM NOT GOING TO TELL YOU OR ADVISE YOU TO DO ANYTHING WHICH IS ILLEGAL. LIKE IT OR NOT, YOU SIGNED A LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT WHICH IS REGULATED BY THE CONSUMER CREDIT ACT AND YOU ARE BOUND TO IT FOR IT'S DURATION OR UNTIL YOU SETTLE THE AGREEMENT, WHICHEVER HAPPENS FIRST.

But guess what? BH are also bound to it under the same law, and by many others including one they don't like to brag about, THE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICES ACT 1970, which basically sets out what you are allowed to do and not do when someone owes you money!"

We have had many discussions on these forums regarding these points, but like them or not, they are there to protect either party from any breach by the other party.

So, if you are having serious problems, please be sure to keep notes, a diarised log of events and as much real evidence as you can get. Please also be assured that we will be here to support you in every way. Above all, common sense and a cool head are what is needed.

Call the NotW article an ice-breaker. Let's face it, there are millions of people out there who don't know who they are, and a lot of those millions, because of the recession we are now in, are in the sights of BrightHouse and other sub-prime lenders hoping to cash-in on the doom and gloom of the poor.

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

brighthouse phoned me and a store member and the manager didnt pass data protection, but discussed the account in full, ,,are these items now uninforcible, thanks for the help, they have also took payments of partners card and never asked to speak to my partner, saying we dont need the name on the card'' thats fine?,

• 3 months later...

yes people always record your calls the things i got on tape you wouldnt believe both regional manager and customer relations manager saying things that i think there directors would be abit worried about they sang to me the information they gave me from the harassment the guy was an ex police officer to all information on there case against the employee tracking systems them admitting it was harassment the list is endless and i am debating to publish the tapes for public listening. the pepole involved feathers were well ruffled when i told them :) by the way keep the 3.7k worth of goods wonder why

• 2 years later...

This is still going on today. They were given my number by mistake and despite contacting Caversham they still make many calls to my home number even though I`m not a customer of theirs. best of all though, they`re so dumb they left messages on my answering machine saying who it was and who they were.

brighthouse phoned me and a store member and the manager didnt pass data protection, but discussed the account in full, ,,are these items now uninforcible, thanks for the help, they have also took payments of partners card and never asked to speak to my partner, saying we dont need the name on the card'' thats fine?,

I find it quite bizarre, how things like this keep appearing from several years ago.

Anyone following my thread will know that I have expressed concerns regarding BrightHouse taking payments over the phone.

My girlfriend has ALWAYS made these payments using my card without my having to give Authorisation.

When we questioned the store about it they insisted that it was my Girlfriend who was breaking the law for using my card.

Why are BrightHouse being allowed to continue with these shody business practices?

Answers on a postcard......

ALL COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS MADE ARE BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCES AND OPINIONS, IF IN DOUBT SEEK ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED SOLICITOR.

<<<<IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ, DON'T FORGET TO HIT THE STAR AND GIVE ME SOME REP.

ANY PRIVATE MESSAGES DEEMED TO BE NON SUBJECT RELATED, DEROGATORY OR INSULTING WILL BE REPORTED.

pinkfloydianuk

:attention:

Just a quick one for any one who has a smart phone, go on to your App market and search for call recorder, its a free app and will help any one wishing to record calls to Caversham Finance or any one else for that matter.

ALL COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS MADE ARE BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCES AND OPINIONS, IF IN DOUBT SEEK ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED SOLICITOR.

<<<<IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ, DON'T FORGET TO HIT THE STAR AND GIVE ME SOME REP.

ANY PRIVATE MESSAGES DEEMED TO BE NON SUBJECT RELATED, DEROGATORY OR INSULTING WILL BE REPORTED.

pinkfloydianuk

:attention:

Hi, after having a very recent (this week) conversation with a local Manager of Brighthouse, shes told me that people from the store ringing about money owed, they can only leave one message per day - they can ring up to 6 times a day. Well I have more than once had 6 messages in one day from one person from brighthouse. Take notes of times and dates and phone messages of all calls made, they can loose their job if found to be harrasing you. This is from the store manager herself. Bully boy tactics is all I can say they do - threats to come and pick up a laptop they have in their hands because its been in for repair for 7 weeks.

• 4 months later...

My local store have put a 'no call' policy on my account (unless I am in arrears,which I never have been).I was getting 'courtesy'calls to remind me my payment was due at 10am on a Saturday morning (my payment day is Saturday).Also had one of their idiots on my partners phone whilst I was making the payment via housephone,,and the best one was the call I received,,quite curt,at 4pm one saturday,forcefully reminding me my payment was due in the next hour,,so I got the man from Brighthouse to open the staff door so the caller could see I WAS IN THE STORE AND HAD MADE THE PAYMENT!!! they were then more than happy to make a note for no calls in future,,and I also removed all DLC/OSC cos it's a waste of paper.As soon as my bill paid off I would not touch the Muppethouse with a used 10ft barge pole :)

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.