• Tweets

• I have done a separate letter and form for each of the 3 debts and kind of ignored the Vodafone one for now    Thanks 
    • please refrain from posting blocks of text...use sentences and line spacing .... i notice your 1st post had been spaced and ive done your last three.... this is not facebook....its a forum. ........... it does matter how long BS takes i would cease payments now and a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF. they don't own your debts so can do NOTHING!! slow down and calm down , 4 post in 5 mins is no good. Debt management and Debt self-help - Consumer Action Group click the above link and go read a good 20+ thread in the above forum and all your questions will be answered  if you have any outstanding  then please post with them later. everything is explain in numerous thread already here for you to understand at your own pace. there is not rush to do anything today or the next 10days bar simply stop paying. though as explained in my last post, whichever way you go not pay will equal a default which will trash your credit file for 6yrs so the quicker you stop the quicker they will vanish . dx  
    • The funds were taken by eBay, rather than Paypal.  I presume Paypal collects the funds from eBay, and so eBay then sting me for the money.   But either way, before this money was taken from my account, my eBay account balance showed as -£85.  Yes, my bank account has been debited by this amount. eBay say that they are completely removed from the chargeback process, because it is carried out by the buyer's financial institution.  So, conveniently, they cannot help, other than by refunding the chargeback fee of £14. 
    • Perfect, thanks for the detailed response. One question, do you know how long it takes for the breathing space to get applied? Say for example I have payments due in 4 days and I apply today how does that work? Also, sorry for sounding stupid but what do you mean by default once the breathing space is in place? I mean what does "Default" mean.  After the breathing space is over and I wanted more time, what would happen? I can and will afford the payments after a few months but I just need that breather to sort some stuff out, as I have said I have never missed a payment. Sorry for the many replies but after doing a quick search, correct me if I am wrong. If it then does go into default and it goes to a collection agency am I right in saying they will send many letters and they may consider a claim? and I should only response if an official MoneyClaim is made? Also, If it does go into default does this severely affect my credit score? or will this only be in the case if a CCJ is applied.
    • there isn't one yet use the default mentioned already there. that covers all 3 debts as i assume the PAPLOC is for all 3 debts? dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Yet another one ...

SAE140
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, here's yet another person who has joined the swelling ranks of those on the DVLA's SORN Christmas Card list ....

I have several concerns about the way in which the DVLA is conducting itself and, in no particular order:

a) is the issuing of £40/80 fixed penalty notices itself legal ? In the INF51 document (which the DVLA keeps sending me, and thus appears to using as a reference document) there is no mention of such penalties - only of fines of up to £1000 *under certain circumstances* (undefined) following prosecution.

b) what exactly is the offence I am alleged to have committed ? Although the DVLA's blurb makes reference to the offence of keeping an untaxed vehicle on the road (an offence of which I have no dispute with), is it actually a punishable offence not to notify the DVLA of a vehicle being kept off-road ? And in the event of notification not being received (for this is what I am being accused of) where does the burden of proof lie ? Indeed, can the DVLA prove beyond reasonable doubt that it did NOT receive my SORN notification ?

c) Until I discovered your site, I had assumed that my dispute with the DVLA was a one-in-a-million case of 'lost in the post' - but it would appear that this sort of thing is happening far too often. That the DVLA makes money in the event of SORN non-receipt presents an obvious conflict of interest.

In my own case, I posted the SORN within a week or so of the tax expiry, and as someone has already commented here I have more important things to do with my life that tick off days on some DVLA calendar - just in case I do not receive a confirmation letter from them - and it was only when in conversation with someone later (some 8 weeks after the SORN was sent) that I was reminded that I hadn't heard from the DVLA. I then tried to SORN (again) the vehicle on-line without success, and finally emailed them from their site, quoting the vehicle refs.

So far I have receive 2 automated letters from them, and am still awaiting a personal response. I am adopting the 'MP first and then take me to court' approach, and will keep you informed.

Hi,

New to forums so I apologise if I am writing in the wrong place but I found your post really interesting.

I have but been dealing with DVLA regarding a SORN (car not working and parked on private property) they say they never received. I sent it regular mail so do not have proof of mailing. This was back in August 08 as my car was due tax renewal Oct 1st.

I failed to keep track and received fine a month ago. I disputed explaining I was not aware I needed confirmation (my fault and first time doing this, basically I did not read the part that say's I need confirmation).

They (DVLA) wrote back saying my dispute has been refused and that I must pay the 80.00.

I have spent 2 hours reading past posts but got confused. I am very interested in the outcome of your post which was excellently put!

In my case I kind of admitted some liability in the hope they would be sympathetic to a 'first timer' but it did not work. Any suggestions, should I pay the 80.00? (I do not have that kind of money right now, so at best can I delay this?).

But you did declare SORN so why should they be entitled to an £80 fine payment for their screw ups?

I would write back firmly (polite but direct) stating you DID declare SORN on time as required refering to the Interpretation Act 1978 that does not require you to pursue confirmation of mail having being received by them. Ask for details regarding their complaints procedure as you will be taking this further and inform them that you will be notifying your MP of their failings which, you are aware, are not a rare occurance.

Tell them you will be asking your MP to investigate how it can be lawful for a government body to fine people for them "CLAIMING" they have not received your mail. i.e. it is in their interest not to receive this mail and only they can make such a claim, therefore it is in their interest to intentionally "loose" mail sent to them.

SAE140,

To save posting the same again, read what I just posted here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dvla/178516-damned-dvla.html

And the legal background is laid out here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dvla/171156-dvla-intercredit-again.html

Note that my first letter in that thread was an attempt to talk reasonably with them - next time I really wouldn't bother because they won't accept whatever you say.

I still think that everyone driving to the Secretary of State's house and handing these notices in personally (obviously demanding a signature for receipt...) may be the only way to get anything changed though :mad:

:!:Nothing I post should be taken as legal advice. It is offered as an opinion only.:!:

This warning is in my signature because I'm not organised enough to remember to type

it in every post.

And you're considering trusting me????:eek:

Thanks for those links. They make for interesting reading - I'll need to print 'em out so I can study them carefully.

The reason I asked whether the fixed-penalty notices themselves were legal, is that there appears to be 'something' missing ....

When comparing these demands for money with other forms of penalty - such as parking offences - it can be observed that when a person is given a parking ticket, the ticket contains evidence of proof of the offence (location, date, duration etc), and also contains the authority of the issuing body (contrary to such-and-such an Act, section and paragraph etc). The same might be true of speeding tickets, but I've never had one so can't comment - maybe someone else can confirm this.

Now I can't be sure about the first letter the DVLA sent me, as it was a form to be completed and returned, but certainly neither of the last two letters, nor the INF51 form contain details of the DVLA's authority to issue penalty notices.

I guess the question I'm asking is, "is it a legal requirement that a fixed penalty notice must display the authority of the issuing body to demand payment ?" For if it is, then the DVLA's demand notices then have the legal status of begging letters.

I'm also a little concerned about the DVLA's use of the word 'Offence' in their correspondence, rather than using the term 'alleged offence', as the former suggests that there is no requirement for any burden of proof, a concept which underpins the whole of our legal system.

The original LLP notice does reference the legislation concerned but, as you say, you have to send it back. I've just received a copy of mine from them after writing and requesting one, including the reverse with my original statement on.

The follow-up letters are just that - letters. They refer to the legislation indirectly, by refering back to the issue of the original LLP, which is perfectly ok. In fact, it's possibly preferable to them showering you with reams of legal references which could really scare some people. One of the few things they get right - although they sort of spoil it by asking you to return the bit with the references if you want to challenge them!

However, none of that should really matter because it is only an alleged penalty, whatever they call it, and it can't be enforced (beyond endless demands from a DCA) without a court finding you liable.

My personal view is that, according to law, a court can't find you liable if you state that you posted the notice. Hopefully I'll be able to get them to summons me and confirm that before you get to that stage ;)

:!:Nothing I post should be taken as legal advice. It is offered as an opinion only.:!:

This warning is in my signature because I'm not organised enough to remember to type

it in every post.

• 2 weeks later...

Spunkymonkey - have you any thoughts on the "4 weeks" issue ? As I see it it's one thing for the DVLA to place the onus for pursuing SORN non-receipt on the public, but this '4 week' stuff doesn't feature at all in the legislation:

The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002

The terminology is "shall deliver to the Secretary of State the required declaration and the required particulars in relation to the vehicle"and "in any other case, not later than that day." (being the day following the expired period).

I wonder if it could be argued that as the 4 week period does not feature in the legislation, the DVLA are operating outside of the law ?

I'm also focussing on "shall deliver" - how exactly does one "deliver" ? But - I think there's been quite a few words spoken on this forum regarding this already ....

Regards

SAE, the "requirement" to chase them up after 4 weeks is legally complete nonsense. Quite apart from there being nothing at all in law to say that you must, there is also nothing in law to say that they have to provide an acknowledgemet at all.

That means that, even if there was something legally requiring you to chase the acknowledgement, it would be requiring you to chase something that, legally, doesn't need to exist. That's an absurdity that would never survive referral to the higher courts.

Not that DVLA would ever let it get that far to be tested.......

As for "delivering" - that's covered by the wording of the Interpretation Act 1978 S.7:

7 References to service by post

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression “give” or “send” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post

Now, the accepted way of serving notice of either SORN or a vehicle transfer is by post, to the address provided on the document (either the SORN notice or the V5). "Deliver", as used in VERA 1994 and the RV(R&R) Regs, is simply another expression for "give" or "send". So normal post, correctly addressed and pre-paid, is all that's required and, unless DVLA prove otherwise, you are entitled to deem delivery effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post. Therefore, you have no need to query the lack of an acknowledgement.

DVLA have no power whatsoever to either alter or over-ride Statue law, so their demands that you chase them up is unenforcable in court.

it in every post.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

Update - this morning I received a letter from DVLA (Swansea), thanking me for a SORN on the disputed vehicle, but dated from 29 January. Wonderful (!) - nothing like a bit of confusion to add to the existing mess.

So - has the original SORN now finally surfaced ? Or has this letter been issued in response to my email posted from the DVLA on-line site ? Or is it in response to my threat to refer this matter to my MP ? Indeed, has the threat of prosecution now been dropped or not ? Who knows - after you with the crystal ball.

So many questions - what a way to run a government department ...

Edited by SAE140
grammar

That letter only gives evidence that it is now registered as SORN with them. Keep it safe! The threat of prosecution is still there unless they've also said they're taking no further action, but really don't worry too much about it.

I've been doing a little more digging into statute amendments and the only thing they might rely on is S.31(B)(8) of VERA 1994, which was inserted by the Finance Act 2002:

(8) A person accused of an offence under section 31A(1) is not entitled to the benefit of an exception conferred by or under this section unless evidence is adduced that is sufficient to raise an issue with respect to that exception, but where evidence is so adduced it is for the prosecution

to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the exception does not apply.

Now, they would no doubt contend that the acknowledgement letter is the required "evidence" but there are a couple of problems with that:

First, they don't have to provide an acknowledgement. So they'd be claiming that you had to produce a document that they didn't have to provide in the first place. That's clearly absurd, so the Act can't be read in that way.

Second, even if there was an acknowledgement, that is not evidence that you've carried out your duty. It's evidence that you've done what you had to and that they've processed the form properly. In other words, demanding that would be demanding something beyond what the Act requires, and which relies on their correct actions to exist as well as yours.

Now, you can prefectly correctly carry out your obligations by using normal (not recorded) post (as per the Interpretation Act) so you can complete your duty without gathering any evidence at that point. Again, insisting on a record of posting as evidence would be insisting on something that need not exist.

Realistically, then, the only evidence that you could be expected to have is your own statement to the court that you fulfilled your duty. So, as the only evidence tthat can be expected to exist, that must be the evidence to which the Act refers.

To refute your statement, the DVLA would effectively have to accuse you of perjury - and have evidence to support the fact that you didn't post it. So, your defence is the exception under S31(B)(3) of VERA 1994 and your evidence of that exception is your sworn statement to the court that you posted it, correctly and on time.

it in every post.

That letter only gives evidence that it is now registered as SORN with them. Keep it safe!

You're absolutely right. But today's events are showing this SORN confirmation to be particularly significant, for:

Yesterday I received the letter from DVLA Swansea thanking me for SORN-ing the vehicle.

This morning I received a letter from the enforcement dept in Poole dated 5 days after the Swansea letter, alleging that they have no SORN record for the vehicle, and also, that my secondary mode of communication to the DVLA (feedback email from their site) is not an acceptable form of declaration.

But - I have used only two modes of SORN declaration - their form (by post), and their website feedback facility.

Quite clearly DVLA Swansea have accepted one of these: either the original postal SORN has finally surfaced, or the DVLA have accepted a notification via their website feedback facility.

I am left to conclude therefore that DVLA (Poole) are either being untruthful, or are incompetent.