• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Comet refuse to repair laptop

miniconverter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5484 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought a laptop from comet about 8 months ago which has now developed a fault on the DVD/CD drive so toke it back to comet for repair. They refused point blank to accept the laptop for repair and insisted that as it was covered by manufacturers warrant I must contact the manufacturer.

As they had refused to accept it for repair I then told them I rescind the contract and required a full refund, this was also refused.

I have written to the comet store involved again rescinding the contract and giving them 7 days to issue a refund or court action would be taken.

Comets customer services have contacted me twice by telephone insisting I must contact the manufacture as it is the manufacturers responsibility not comets.

There 7 days where up on Thursday and today I received a letter from comet customer services which again says I must contact the manufacturer.

I have a N1 sat here waiting to be filled in and am looking for the best way to word the section brief details of claim and the Particulars of claim.

Any help would be appreciated as wording thinks like this aren't my strong point

You do not have a contract with the manufacture. Your contract is with Comet & it's they not the manufacture who must sort it out.

However before taking court action I suggest you contact your local Trading Standards. Oh when Comet do accept it, as they eventually must, don't pay anything not even 'shipping' costs

Not going to bother with trading standards as they allways take for ever to do anything.

Would much prefer to just take the direct court route as I am feed-up with big companies thinking the can push the individual about. In fact was told in store by comet that the SOGA doesn't apply as there policies are better. Lets see what a judge has to say about that

Not going to bother with trading standards as they allways take for ever to do anything.

Would much prefer to just take the direct court route as I am feed-up with big companies thinking the can push the individual about. In fact was told in store by comet that the SOGA doesn't apply as there policies are better. Lets see what a judge has to say about that

Who tells them this rubbish. Still suggest that even if your going the court route (which is civil) that you report them to TS as their conduct may be criminal & only TS can take that up Also even if they don't do much they can't allow them to get away with telling such blatant lies without doing something

Yes comet have confirmed in writing it's not there responsibility. The letter came from the person in customer services that had spoken to me on the phone. He is obviously not very bright as the letter I sent to comet contained the following line "If you are unsure of the content or the implications of this letter I suggest you seek legal advise." didn't read it or there legal advise isn't to good

The trouble is that these Muppet's are taken on by the likes of Comet & despite all the evidence to the contrary in the media they believe what their bosses tell them. They really are the ones that if told "jump off the pier" actually would

that is the letter thst you need to forward to trading standards. and i bet that they have a jolly good chuckle aout it too :D

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

I will talk to trading standards in the morning and let them have a copy of the letter if they want it.

Will still pursue them in court as it's more fun plus when I told the man at the comet store I would take them to court he said he doubted I would get very far, think he didn't believe me.

I will talk to trading standards in the morning and let them have a copy of the letter if they want it.

Will still pursue them in court as it's more fun plus when I told the man at the comet store I would take them to court he said he doubted I would get very far, think he didn't believe me.

You'll "talk to them! & if they ask for it":confused:

Put your compliant in writing enclosing a copy of the letter. Don't wait to be asked

Have just spoken to trading standards. What a waste of time the women couldn't understand what my problem was as accer would repair it for me didn't get the fact that my contract of sales was with comet and nobody else.

No wonder the likes of comet get away with this on a daily basis when the people who are supposed to protect the public don't have a clue about something as simple as this.

Typical. Ask to speak to someone senior & tell them their staff appear to have little understanding of the law they are supposed to be enforcing.

Explain what you know to be correct in law & what their staff member has told you.

If your talking on the phone I do hope your recording the conversation because if not when questioned they will lie to protect their jobs

I will complain in writing to trading standards then hopefully there will be more chance of them looking at what was said. perhaps trading standards has a "training issue" at least that's what I think the term is when a cock up is made or somebody can't be arsed to do their job

In the mean time I will carry on with my court claim

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update to let people that are interested know whats happening.

Had to go down the court route as Comet are a waste of space and trading standards are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Anyway Comet had till yesterday to acknowledge service so rang the court this morning and they have neither acknowledged service or filled a defence, so filled in the bit on the bottom of the notice of issue went straight to the court to apply for a default judgment.

Was told by the bloke at the court they have a working target of 5 days and where keeping to that at the moment so hopefully should have a judgment in about a week.

So fingers crossed all should be good in a few days. Will let you know what happens when something does.

Got a judgment for claimant (in default) yesterday which says the following along with all the other bits

You must pay the claimant a total of £***.** forthwith

Now my understanding of forthwith means immediately and without delay. So yesterday teatime gave them a ring and asked for the money but this just sent them all into some kind of panic attack.

This morning I have rang again and asked to speak to the store manager as I was told he would be in this morning. Surprise surprise he couldn't come to the phone so had to speak to one of his side kicks that passed messages back and forth to him.

The jist of the conversations was they won't be dealing with it and it is up to head office to sort it out but the judgment is at the store address as that is where the contract of sale was.

I have told the chap I spoke to that if I haven't received full payment by 10am on Tuesday 31/3/2009 I will go to the court and apply for a warrant of execution which will add further costs. Also that if they then don't pay court appointed bailiffs will call and remove goods from there premises.

Now for a question if the judgment is forthwith can I apply for a warrant of execution immidiatley as I believe I can and should I wait till Tuesday or go and do it Monday